• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bloomberg honors Boston Bomber as victim of gun violence

Do you realize that it is a mental disorder to want to end your life? And I don't mean terminally ill people who are suffering.

Normal people do not do all sorts of ****.But if someone wants to end their life then it is still their business and that person is not the same as innocent person who was murdered by a criminal.

Do you realize that may suicides would be prevented entirely if a gun was not available?

There are about 33 other countries with higher rates of suicide than the US and they have will way lower gun ownership and more severe gun laws than the US. So if anything those people will find a better means to off themselves.

Do you also know that 80% of unsuccessful suicide victims do not repeat and go on to lead normal lives?

Don't care.

Gun ownership is a major contributor to that high suicide rates we experience in the US.

THen I guess the people in these countries must be better at offing themselves without firearms then those in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

This isn't even a debate, you're flat wrong. Jumping has a higher success rate than firearms, so close to 100% that it's ridiculous, so you want to ban heights too? Yeah, thought so.

Jumping is not a very common suicide method and over 50% of successful suicides are with guns. So if reducing suicides was your goal banning guns would be the most effective.

Jumping is not a very common suicide method and over 50% of successful suicides are with guns. So if reducing suicides was your goal banning guns would be the most effective.
Horse ****.

Boston bombings were really tragic..the convicted was brain washed for sure otherwise there is no point of taking innocent lives..i am really sad over this issue.

Boston Bomber Memorialized as Gun Victim by Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Movement - Fox Nation

[/FONT][/COLOR]:shock:[/FONT][/COLOR]

The gun grabbers will make props of any victim, when it was children it was despicable but now they're counting terrorists and people shot by police in order to attack our rights? Wow... just wow...

Bloomberg is an idiot. I wonder if New York has something really bad in the water since they keep voting these idiots (Bloomberg, Clinton) into office.

How insensitive of you, Tamerlan was just another poor, skittles and ice tea kid, that never had the opportunities that the rest of us had.

Might sad for someone.

Should we have a moment of not posting?

What do you guys think?

Why are victims of gun suicides not gun victims? There's plenty of evidence that owning a gun increases your risk of a successful suicide, since guns are the most deadly method of suicide. Why would anybody want to increase their risk of death?

There is actually no evidence to support that conclusion. There is evidence that shows if you have suicidal tendencies and you have access to a firearm, you are more likely to be successful if you attempt to commit suicide. Using your logic, one could say with a straight face, "You are more likely to kill someone while DUI if you own alcohol" ,"Choke to death if you buy steaks" or "Overdose if you own prescription medications".

Last edited:

Just banning alcohol would reduce the numbers of all suicides, successful or not, regardless of methods more so than banning firearms. 45%, more or less, of all successful suicide victims are legally drunk and many more were under the influence but below legal limits. The majority of "violent" suicide victims were found to be legally drunk. Alcohol directly magnifies suicidal thoughts and makes it more likely you would attempt to follow through on those thoughts. Access to a firearm just increases the likelyhood they will be successful in reaching the goals the alcohol created.

So banning alcohol would be the most effective way to reduce suicides if that is your goal. But I imagine you are only concerned with suicides by guns as those deaths help support your bias.

Just banning alcohol would reduce the numbers of all suicides, successful or not, regardless of methods more so than banning firearms. 45%, more or less, of all successful suicide victims are legally drunk and many more were under the influence but below legal limits. The majority of "violent" suicide victims were found to be legally drunk. Alcohol directly magnifies suicidal thoughts and makes it more likely you would attempt to follow through on those thoughts. Access to a firearm just increases the likelyhood they will be successful in reaching the goals the alcohol created.

So banning alcohol would be the most effective way to reduce suicides if that is your goal. But I imagine you are only concerned with suicides by guns as those deaths help support your bias.

While alcoholics have high suicide rates only one out of 4 suicide victims are legally "drunk" but over 50% of suicides are gun related. So that's a fail.

www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/health/19suicide.html‎

Why are victims of gun suicides not gun victims? There's plenty of evidence that owning a gun increases your risk of a successful suicide, since guns are the most deadly method of suicide. Why would anybody want to increase their risk of death?

Better wrap yourself in Kevlar and bubble wrap when you walk outside then.

The world is a very dangerous place.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2872355/
While alcoholics have high suicide rates only one out of 4 suicide victims are legally "drunk" but over 50% of suicides are gun related. So that's a fail.

www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/health/19suicide.html‎

?? Define fail. How does it contradict what I posted? I said violent suicide ie. firearms, hangings etc.

While I will concede I cannot find my source for 45%, I will have to state other, more reputable, studies showing it is much higher amongst firearms suicides.

I wish I could access the entire study however this article covers the pertinent data....

Alcohol Intoxication Plays Major Role in U.S. Suicides*:*Family Practice News

It validates what you stated as far as 1 in 4 are legally drunk.

"The prevalence of intoxication at the time of death was 24% among men and 17% among women, based on data from nearly 44,000 suicides that occurred from 2003 to 2009 in data reported to the National Violent Death Reporting System, a program of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

But the study goes on to state:

"The adjusted analyses also highlighted other subgroups with an especially high prevalence of intoxication at the time of their suicide. Decedents categorized as American Indian or Alaskan Native who were men had a significant 78% higher prevalence and women had a significant 99% higher prevalence, compared with white men and woman, the reference group.

When categorized by method of suicide, men who used firearms had a 76% increased prevalence and women who used firearms had a 68% increased prevalence compared with decedents who used poison, the reference group. Another method that linked with intoxication was hanging or suffocation, which was 38% higher in men and 48% higher in women, compared with the reference group. All these between-group differences were statistically significant."

So take from it what you will.

I particularly like this chart from

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2872355/figure/f1-ijerph-07-01392/

Not seeing any reference to firearms as being a contributing factor leading to the desire to commit suicide. It does show alcohol as a final factor leading to suicide.

So again, I stand by my assertion that by further restricting alcohol, you would potentially reduce all suicide attempts, successful or not, more so than restrictions on firearms.

Attachments

• ijerph-07-01392f1.gif
    ijerph-07-01392f1.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

That is rather the point of suicide, is it not? What person, truly intent on committing suicide, would want to do so by a method that fails to “increase their risk of death”?

That is rather the point of suicide, is it not? What person, truly intent on committing suicide, would want to do so by a method that fails to “increase their risk of death”?

I made that same point :lamo

Suicide is a symptom of mental illness and is often a spur of the moment decision. If the moment passes without killing yourself, you can usually go on to lead a normal life. Guns in the home preclude that outcome and therefore are the cause of many deaths by suicide by their very presence. Even a moron can see that. It is amazing that anyone would even argue the point.

Better wrap yourself in Kevlar and bubble wrap when you walk outside then.

The world is a very dangerous place.

But it is safer if you don't have a gun around. I just want that fact to be known. As long as people are aware of the dangers and still want a gun, so be it.
I just hate the lies about how safe guns make you.

But it is safer if you don't have a gun around. I just want that fact to be known. As long as people are aware of the dangers and still want a gun, so be it.

Given that 99.995% of guns are never used in a crime, I just don't see how it can get much safer then that.

Likewise, I hate the lies that imply that everyone is more likely to commit suicide if they have a gun in the home even if you are not otherwise already a suicide risk. I might add that anyone who, in this day and age, does not know that people at risk for suicide and guns are a bad combination, is a moron.

"If someone is having substance abuse problems or is at risk for suicide, having an unsecure firearm and/or alcohol in the home places them at greater risk for killing themselves."

Anything wrong with that statement? Less bias loaded than your version.

Why are victims of gun suicides not gun victims?

Because they weren't victimized by anybody. They chose to end their own lives, which is their right.

Because they weren't victimized by anybody. They chose to end their own lives, which is their right.

They are victims of gun violence none the less, many would still be alive if not for the gun they used. The data is quite clear about that.

They are victims of gun violence none the less, many would still be alive if not for the gun they used. The data is quite clear about that.

OK, someone who kills themselves with a gun (or whatever else they use) will of course be alive had they not killed themselves. Cannot argue that logic. What is your proposed solution? How would you propose we prevent successful suicides?

Not sure I agree. They are not victims. They chose to end their own lives, which is their right.

OK, someone who kills themselves with a gun (or whatever else they use) will of course be alive had they not killed themselves. Cannot argue that logic. What is your proposed solution? How would you propose we prevent successful suicides?
Make it a capital offense? :lamo

Likewise, I hate the lies that imply that everyone is more likely to commit suicide if they have a gun in the home even if you are not otherwise already a suicide risk. I might add that anyone who, in this day and age, does not know that people at risk for suicide and guns are a bad combination, is a moron.

"If someone is having substance abuse problems or is at risk for suicide, having an unsecure firearm and/or alcohol in the home places them at greater risk for killing themselves."

Anything wrong with that statement? Less bias loaded than your version.

Nothing is wrong about that what so ever. The problem is that how many suicidal people know they are at risk?
And you just called the mother of the Sandy Hook shooter a moron. Everything I read about her said she was of pretty normal intelligence and yet was still clueless about the dangers of her "hobby" to her son and others. She was a victim of the lack of education that gun buyers have about the subject. All I hear on this board is how fun and rewarding gun ownership is and next to nothing about what horrors a gun can do to a family.

Back
Top Bottom