• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blood donations show that the United States is still nowhere near herd immunity

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Less than 2 percent of nearly 1 million blood donors tested positive for coronavirus antibodies.

To better understand how widely the coronavirus has spread in the United States, some researchers are turning to an unusual source of data: blood donations.

In an effort to encourage more donations, many blood collection centers have been offering to test donated blood for antibodies to the coronavirus, which indicates a past infection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Of the nearly 1 million Americans who donated blood to the Red Cross from June 15 to August 23 and were tested, only 1.82 percent had the antibodies. That finding suggests that the vast majority of Americans have yet to be infected with the virus, researchers report September 14 in JAMA.

Blood donations aren’t a random sample of the population, but the data can give researchers an idea how much of a population has been exposed to the virus, a concept known as seroprevalence, and how susceptible different populations remain to continuing outbreaks.
======================================================================
Even though I've spent the past 6 months quarantined at home, I get out to visit the pharmacy & the hospital often enough that I will not be surprised if I get infected.

Less than 2% is a long way from herd immunity.

Tests are unreliable, now what you gonna do?

Open everything up like Florida, move on.

I've seen the number quoted as high as 9%. There's a lot of talk lately of T-cell immunity as well. Some say something like a common cold or flu could prove longer immunity than antibodies.

Was there herd immunity with other viruses such as chicken pox....herpes....HIV....???

Until they know what the long term of effects of this novel virus are, I don't think I would put all my hopes and trust in herd immunity.

A quote from Dr. Fauci...

I'm with Dr. Fauci on this.

Last edited:
Another virus you'll have for life is HIV. In 40+ years they haven't been able to develop a vaccine for HIV

I have my doubts about vaccines for covid. Too many things can go wrong: side effects, mutant strains, need for periodic revaccination, a skeptical public, a difficult virus, etc.

Last edited:

Even if they did come out with a vaccine....very few people want to get one and/or could afford it...especially if their insurance gets canceled. And if the virus mutates then vaccines would be kind of useless, anyway.

Blood donations show that the United States is still nowhere near herd immunity

well, duh. a dry field of underbrush is nowhere near immunity to fire, either.

Even if they did come out with a vaccine....very few people want to get one and/or could afford it...especially if their insurance gets canceled. And if the virus mutates then vaccines would be kind of useless, anyway.
If they have to pay for it & there is no ACA, a lot of people will skip it. If we don't have a sufficient number of people vaccinated, the pandemic may continue.

The end of the human race, right?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…