• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blocking sneaky ads

Northern Light

The Light of Truth
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I use a adblocker in my browser, it blocks new windows from opening and hides other content that I don't want to involuntarily see. I'm noticing though that a lot of websites are bypassing blockers by using those new types of ads that are integrated into the web page itself. One example is websites where, when you get to a certain point in reading a page, an ad pops up. The only way to get rid of it is to manually X it and it can't be blocked because it's not a new browser window being opened.

Are there any browser attachments that block these specific kinds of ads? I don't know what they're specifically called in the web tech industry, but I would call them the newest kind of ad, designed to bypass all blocking measures. Part of the reason why my online research and web surfing is so efficient is that I'm able to block ads and flash content that I don't want to see, but these newer ads are a thorn in my side. They're incredibly annoying and I just want them to stop.

I would've researched this myself but I don't know what they're called and that key word would really help me.

Advice would be super appreciated!! :thumbs:

I use a adblocker in my browser, it blocks new windows from opening and hides other content that I don't want to involuntarily see. I'm noticing though that a lot of websites are bypassing blockers by using those new types of ads that are integrated into the web page itself. One example is websites where, when you get to a certain point in reading a page, an ad pops up. The only way to get rid of it is to manually X it and it can't be blocked because it's not a new browser window being opened.

Are there any browser attachments that block these specific kinds of ads? I don't know what they're specifically called in the web tech industry, but I would call them the newest kind of ad, designed to bypass all blocking measures. Part of the reason why my online research and web surfing is so efficient is that I'm able to block ads and flash content that I don't want to see, but these newer ads are a thorn in my side. They're incredibly annoying and I just want them to stop.

I would've researched this myself but I don't know what they're called and that key word would really help me.

I'm not familiar with what you are describing but it sounds like you may find NoScript useful in addition to adblock. Once you get used to it, it's quite nice.

I would try uBlock Origin along with it's companion extension, uBlock Origin Websocket. I recently started seeing more ads recently as well but then I installed the Websocket addon and they disappeared.

Most of those ads are Flash based so adding Flashblock generally helps.

Back
Top Bottom