• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BLM was just a blatant cash grab

KLATTU

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
No,this story wasn't reported in Newsmax.
Seals would argue that Black Lives Matter as an organization was nothing more than a money grab with a catchy hashtag used to seize the moment and capitalize on Black pain. Seals would argue, before his untimely and horrific death, that these people weren’t with Ferguson from the beginning, so why were they here now?

Talk about man bites dog.
A partisan lw new outlet saying anything negative about blacks?
That's Haley's comet material.

Seals would argue that Black Lives Matter as an organization was nothing more than a money grab with a catchy hashtag used to seize the moment and capitalize on Black pain. Seals would argue, before his untimely and horrific death, that these people weren’t with Ferguson from the beginning, so why were they here now?

BLM was more than that. What’s happened despite BLM’s good intentions is that the social justice orthodoxy behind BLM has, for many on the left, become orthodoxy. You’re not meant to question it — ever — because, after all, that’s something only a Fox News-watching racist would ever do. That creates and environment where critical thinking is suspended, and there’s no easier mark for a shyster than someone who’s afraid to ask tough questions such as “Before I write you another check, could I please get independent confirmation the money donated already has been put to good use?

Confidence sharks feed on the weak minded. That is why we see headlines like this one and will continue to see them.

The BLM mission seems to be to make a lot of noise and to collect (and hoard) money. That was no big deal from 2013 until George Floyd’s death, when the (BLM inspired?) noise level and money flow reached very high levels.

Concerns exist as to what specific use was made of the over $20M which BLM ‘central’ has dispersed (to ???) and the fact that over $8M of ‘overhead’ (administrative?) expenses were said to be necessary to accomplish that ‘work’. I now appears that the bulk (over 70%?) of that ‘overhead’ was used to purchase residential real estate.

Black pain still exists though. No?

Every large political movement since the dawn of time had been a money grab for SOME people

NRA
Right to life
CPAC.......

I vividly remember watching those BLM marches in 2020.

It was so sad seeing many naive and idealistic young people joining the marches.

I thought to myself: "When they grow up and experience life a little more, they are going to bitterly regret having supported that movement."

I vividly remember watching those BLM marches in 2020.

It was so sad seeing many naive and idealistic young people joining the marches.

I thought to myself: "When they grow up and experience life a little more, they are going to bitterly regret having supported that movement."
I think a lot of former trumpers are going thru that now

Black pain still exists though. No?

So far, BLM has collected barely over $2 for every black person in the US. That is clearly not enough - send as much you can to BLM. ;)

BLM would have been a good idea and could have become today's civil rights focal point for our disaster of a criminal justice system, but like many things the movement quickly jumped to a real cash generation means for very few and resulted in very little action that actually changed something.

As is the case with so many today trying to claim civil rights leadership, in the end there is very little movement for civil rights. A sad statement on the lot of politicians and political money makers these days.

You're confusing the Black Lives Matter movement with a small group that has incorporated itself and taken advantage of the popularity to enrich itself.

You're confusing the Black Lives Matter movement with a small group that has incorporated itself and taken advantage of the popularity to enrich itself.

OK, but you can’t send a payment to a ‘movement’.

"The movement" could open its books, but I think "the movement" is very worried about doing that.
"the movement" doesn't have a collective set of books. It's a movement, not a corporation.

"the movement" doesn't have a collective set of books. It's a movement, not a corporation.
Members of the movement could demand the organized elements of BLM open their books. I have not seen them do that; have you?

We know about the mansions and the huge salaries paid to these posturing thieves by these posturing thieves.

Are there any community centers or tutoring programs in majority "Black" communities that this swindling gang of thieves created to actually help "Black" Lives?

FWIW, a particularly glaring example of this same problem was discussed in another thread last month:

And to my point about how the social justice left is so easily duped, the BLM leader now facing the 18-page federal indictment for embezzlement of BLM funds was named a Boston Globe "Bostonian of the Year" award winner in 2020.

They're all organized in some for or another. But they aren't all part of the same organization.
Yes, they tend to be loosely affiliated per-city organizations; e.g. BLM Boston, BLM Washington, etc.

My point stands. Who supporting those organizations -- any of them -- is calling for financial transparency? Maybe it's happening, but as I said, I simply haven't seen it.

Back
Top Bottom