• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blinken: 'Irreversible’ withdrawal necessary to lift sanctions on Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Blinken: 'Irreversible’ withdrawal necessary to lift sanctions on Russia

iu

The Russian government must carry out an "irreversible" withdrawal from its invasion of Ukraine before U.S. sanctions will be lifted, Secretary of State Antony Blinken told NPR in an interview published Wednesday morning. U.S. sanctions against Russia are "not designed to be permanent" and could "go away" Blinken said, should Russia change its behavior. But a mere withdrawal of Russian forces would not be enough; instead, Blinken said the U.S. would insist that a Russian pullback be, “in effect, irreversible,” so "this can't happen again, that Russia won't pick up and do exactly what it's doing in a year or two years or three years."On Tuesday, the Department of the Treasury announced new sanctions on members of the Russian Ministry of Defense as well as Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin. The U.S. has also sanctioned Russian banks, oligarchs and their families. Last week, President Joe Biden announced a complete ban on imports of Russian oil, gas and energy.

From what I understand, Zelenskyy is demanding a Russian withdrawal from all of Ukraine, including Crimea and the Luhansk/Donetsk statelets in eastern Ukraine.

From what I understand, Zelenskyy is demanding a Russian withdrawal from all of Ukraine, including Crimea and the Luhansk/Donetsk statelets in eastern Ukraine.
Goes to show how confident he is in their position. It would be insane if they somehow ended up getting Crimea back after all this. They really should, as there are huge offshore oil deposits off the coast of Crimea. Russia took control of THEIR OIL DRILLING RIGS when it seized Crimea in 2014.

Personally, I think that is the only legitimate resolution to the conflict. The question is, how is that to be accomplished?
The only possible way I can see that happening is if Ukraine's military pushed Russia's forces out of Ukraine (including the Donbass and Crimea).

I still think this is going to be a decades long battle (militarily, financially and covertly).

I still think this is going to be a decades long battle (militarily, financially and covertly).
I'm not so sure. Putin has gotten himself in a pickle. The economy is crashing, the people are getting restive (a minority, to be sure, but revolutions have succeeded with less), the bulk of its land forces are bogged down in foreign territory. Ukraine, although devastated, is the darling of Europe (as it should be) and will likely get huge support - and maybe even Polish MiGs - to fight. The Russian forces are demoralized, and the International Court of Justice has said "Nyet" to the invasion.

I think this may be Putin's Waterloo. Imagine this: a palace coup, a genuine move toward democracy, and a mea culpa from the incoming regime.... Russia could be saved by its own people.

I'm not so sure. Putin has gotten himself in a pickle. The economy is crashing, the people are getting restive (a minority, to be sure, but revolutions have succeeded with less), the bulk of its land forces are bogged down in foreign territory. Ukraine, although devastated, is the darling of Europe (as it should be) and will likely get huge support - and maybe even Polish MiGs - to fight. The Russian forces are demoralized, and the International Court of Justice has said "Nyet" to the invasion.

I think this may be Putin's Waterloo. Imagine this: a palace coup, a genuine move toward democracy, and a mea culpa from the incoming regime.... Russia could be saved by its own people.
If Putin fails I shudder to think what he'll do next.

I'm shuddering already. I started a thread called WW3 for a reason. We're in it, and I don't know how loyal his leadership will remain. He's lost it.

I am too. If Ukraine is actually doing as well as it seems there is a possibility Russia is completely embarrassed by Ukraine. Possibly even militarily defeating and pushed out to their borders. If that were to happen (or start to happen) it would be the shattering of the image of Putin as a strongman leader. Could Putin EVER agree to terms where Ukraine cedes no ground and no concessions to Russia? I don't know.

The Russian military is running out of time which is why Putin asked China for military aid.

I am too. If Ukraine is actually doing as well as it seems there is a possibility Russia is completely embarrassed by Ukraine. Possibly even militarily defeating and pushed out to their borders. If that were to happen (or start to happen) it would be the shattering of the image of Putin as a strongman leader. Could Putin EVER agree to terms where Ukraine cedes no ground and no concessions to Russia? I don't know.
The acid test is whether Russian military leaders are willing to use tactical nukes in Ukraine. If Putin gets desperate enough to order them, we may find out.

Back
Top Bottom