• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blind man claims McDonald’s drive-thru is discriminatory, files lawsuit

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Blind man claims McDonald’s drive-thru is discriminatory, files lawsuit | Fox News
A Louisiana man is suing McDonald’s over its drive-thru policy that prohibits customers without wheels from using the service.Scott Magee, who is blind, says the fast food chain’s refusal to accommodate those who cannot drive is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
According to the suit, filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court of Northern Illinois (McDonald's headquarters is located in Oak Brook, Ill., a Chicago suburb), the chain has no "concern whatsoever for the accessibility of the late-night drive-thrus to the disabled."
Roberto Luis Costales, of New Orleans-based lawfirm Beaumont Costales, is representing Magee. He says McDonald’s current drive-thru policy is “discrimination in its purest form.”

FFS, this is retarded as hell. Yes, it sucks you're blind, that doesn't mean not accommodating you at the "Drive through" is discriminatory, it's a SAFETY ISSUE NUMBNUTS

my blind mother-in-law goes thru the mickey d's drive thru quite often
however, i am the driver
case closed

McDonald's... The one to file suit against for all kinds of bull****.

Blind man claims McDonald’s drive-thru is discriminatory, files lawsuit | Fox News

FFS, this is retarded as hell. Yes, it sucks you're blind, that doesn't mean not accommodating you at the "Drive through" is discriminatory, it's a SAFETY ISSUE NUMBNUTS

It is STUPID that someone on foot would not be served at a drive-thru. It is not a safety issue unless one is accustomed to running over pedestrians.

Using retarded in the manner you've chosen to here is insensitive.

my blind mother-in-law goes thru the mickey d's drive thru quite often
however, i am the driver
case closed
Yep. Sounds like his complaint should be against the Drivers License Bureau.

It is STUPID that someone on foot would not be served at a drive-thru. It is not a safety issue unless one is accustomed to running over pedestrians.

Actually, having seen how drive thru gets served I wouldn't want any pedestrians anywhere near them and would have the same policy. I don't see a good reason why the man can't simply use the counter service like everyone else.

Obviously you put feelings before thought.

0200, how likely are the drivers in the drive through to be alert, sober...?

Man on foot in drive thru... plus cars at 0200..

Hmmm.....

You should try thinking not feeling.

McDonald's Drive-Thru Customer Runs Over Man, Still Picks Up His Burger - Eater NY
NY man’s head crushed in hit-and-run in Mcdonald’s drive thru | Bossip

Where possible we aim to open the dining areas of our restaurants and our drive thrus on a 24-hour basis. However, trading overnight is subject to licensing by the local authority and this can restrict both the opening hours and whether or not we can open the restaurant dining area.
For safety reasons we cannot serve pedestrians and vehicles at the same outdoor service point. Vehicles need to pull up close to drive-thru service points to complete their orders and there are no pavements or safe areas for pedestrians to stand at these same points. At restaurants where only a drive-thru service is in operation throughout the night, serving pedestrians by opening the main doors and dining area could also contravene the trading license or, in some cases, present a security risk. At restaurants with customer demand and where the layout permits we have installed a small number of separate pedestrian ‘walk-up’ windows that are open outside of core restaurant hours. If you would like to contact our Customer Services department they will be able to let you know which of McDonald's restaurants in your area, or on your husband’s driving routes, have a 24-hour dining area or a pedestrian 'walk-up' window.
Why can't you serve pedestrians at the Drive Thru? :: McDonalds.co.uk

"Walk up window."

Boom.

Do I have to solve all the problems in the world?

Or jeeze just walk into the store. I mean you're on foot anyway, right? I can't even imagine walking to the McDs and then walking through the drive through lane and expecting to be served.

Retarded is a perfectly good word which brilliantly describes the moron who brought the lawsuit.

re·tard·ed
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

Well yeah I think the accommodation is the frikken inside counter. I would so love to see the attorneys be liable for countersuits so people could recoup their losses in defending against stuff like this.

Talking about at night when the dinning area is closed.

If you're going to walk then go inside. No reason for a walking pedestrian to use a drive through. Having someone standing around in line outside with moving vehicles does present a safety issue was well as possibly obstructing other traffic.

Actually, having seen how drive thru gets served I wouldn't want any pedestrians anywhere near them and would have the same policy. I don't see a good reason why the man can't simply use the counter service like everyone else.

Because the dining room is closed after 11 and then only the drive through is open

Well yeah I think the accommodation is the frikken inside counter. I would so love to see the attorneys be liable for countersuits so people could recoup their losses in defending against stuff like this.

The inside counter is closed after a certain hour

If you're going to walk then go inside. No reason for a walking pedestrian to use a drive through. Having someone standing around in line outside with moving vehicles does present a safety issue was well as possibly obstructing other traffic.

In case you didn't see Renae's response, this lawsuit applies for when McDonalds is closed except for the drive-thru.

If you had read the article :

"Many McDonald's restaurants operate only as drive-thrus during late-night hours, which reduces staffing costs and has also been cited as a security measure. McDonald's company policy prohibits service to any drive-thru customers on foot."

So, in fact, they are discriminating as a manner of policy.

Because the dining room is closed after 11 and then only the drive through is open

Which is why my walk up window solution is brilliant and when I find out McDonald's has taken my idea, I'm suing the cheeseburgers and caramel frappes out of them. :2razz:

Obviously you put feelings before thought.

0200, how likely are the drivers in the drive through to be alert, sober...?

Man on foot in drive thru... plus cars at 0200..

Hmmm.....

You should try thinking not feeling.

McDonald's Drive-Thru Customer Runs Over Man, Still Picks Up His Burger - Eater NY
NY man’s head crushed in hit-and-run in Mcdonald’s drive thru | Bossip

Why can't you serve pedestrians at the Drive Thru? :: McDonalds.co.uk

Your press release is from the UK.

There is almost no where in the US where late night food service is illegal, or else Dennys would be out of business.

I hope the guy wins

Or jeeze just walk into the store. I mean you're on foot anyway, right? I can't even imagine walking to the McDs and then walking through the drive through lane and expecting to be served.

The way my local outlets are set up a walker would have to go to a lot more work to use the drive through, walk all the way around the building in fact. This case should be thrown out because the petitioner cant show harm. If is is not then it should be thrown out on safety considerations as has already been pointed out.

Which is why my walk up window solution is brilliant and when I find out McDonald's has taken my idea, I'm suing the cheeseburgers and caramel frappes out of them. :2razz:

Looks like they have them in some restaurants.

mcdonalds-late-night-walk-up-window-20130626_155933.jpg

"Walk up window."

Boom.

Do I have to solve all the problems in the world?

Sometimes the old ways are the best... We've got a burger place where I live that still has a walk up window. I don't think that anyone uses it very often, but it's been there for 50 years or so....

Most fast food places are drive-thru only late at night....

Your press release is from the UK.

There is almost no where in the US where late night food service is illegal, or else Dennys would be out of business.

I hope the guy wins

The part I was aiming for was "Cars and people" mixing is bad. Of course you would hope the guy wins. Hurt the economy, hurt a business, enrich lawyers. Good plan.

Retarded is a perfectly good word which brilliantly describes the moron who brought the lawsuit.

re·tard·ed
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

Not where I come from.

Back
Top Bottom