• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

bleached chickens.

soylentgreen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The more i read about america and its meat industry the more i am inclined to believe vegetarianism is the most sensible thing any one can do. But now it appears america wishes to force its disgusting habits on the rest of the world by insisting that the sale of chickens laced with chlorine be part of any trade deal with england or the eu. Something that other countries have banned until now because no one wants to eat such crap, Except americans of course.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/29/britain-us-trade-deal-gm-food-eu-rules
Those of us who want to eat safe, healthy food awoke to a nightmare on Tuesday, a chilling interview on Radio 4’s Today programme. Bob Young, chief economist at the American Farm Bureau Federation, made it crystal clear that any US trade deal struck by Theresa May would be contingent on the UK public stomaching imports of US foods that it has previously rejected: beef from cattle implanted with growth hormones, chlorine-washed chicken, and unlabelled genetically modified (GM) foods.

My question is why is america so prepared to accept such low standards and then try to force those standards on the world. . You allow people to crate wealth by growing animals in conditions so unhealthy that the carcass has to be bathed in chemicals in order to remove harmful bacteria.

Justify not only how you treat chickens but can also demand the right to sell them to others?
angry-chicken.jpg

My suggestion is that if you don't like it, don't buy it. If enough people don't buy it, the practices you mention - and I agree they aren't good - will stop. Some vigilance is required, because these products can end up in other processed foods - canned soups, prepared frozen dinners, etc. I generally don't buy that stuff either.

The more i read about america and its meat industry the more i am inclined to believe vegetarianism is the most sensible thing any one can do. But now it appears america wishes to force its disgusting habits on the rest of the world by insisting that the sale of chickens laced with chlorine be part of any trade deal with england or the eu. Something that other countries have banned until now because no one wants to eat such crap, Except americans of course.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/29/britain-us-trade-deal-gm-food-eu-rules

My question is why is america so prepared to accept such low standards and then try to force those standards on the world. . You allow people to crate wealth by growing animals in conditions so unhealthy that the carcass has to be bathed in chemicals in order to remove harmful bacteria.

Justify not only how you treat chickens but can also demand the right to sell them to others?
angry-chicken.jpg

I looked into the chick question two years ago, when the German Greens were using it to block or at least slow ttip negotiations. I didn't really think the procedure so unpleasant personally, but as the regional media and politicians had picked up the cry, I wanted to know. After reading up my conclusion was that the German Greens' position was not sensible. The hygiene of the American procedure was much more sanitary than the German one and caused far fewer infections and poisoning.

My suggestion is that if you don't like it, don't buy it. If enough people don't buy it, the practices you mention - and I agree they aren't good - will stop. Some vigilance is required, because these products can end up in other processed foods - canned soups, prepared frozen dinners, etc. I generally don't buy that stuff either.

Problem is that the chickens are not labelled as being Chlorine Chickens, so there is nothing that the consumer can do.

Problem is that the chickens are not labelled as being Chlorine Chickens, so there is nothing that the consumer can do.

Then assume they are unless it explicitly says they are not. I personally feel better to know they are properly hygienic, but there are those that prefer to risk the infections.

I dunno. I've smelled meat and fish sprayed with chorine, and I think one's nose would have to be out of order to miss it.

You support the organic market?

Soy, brother, let me help you see the error in your ways! As mentioned, you can buy organic meat! No need to lower yourself into the clammy, cold clutches of vegetarianism, you, too, can have organic chicken wings, sans bleach! It goes great with organic beer and organic blue cheese sauce. Helpful hint: skip the celery and carrots! ;)

Seriously, though, you're right, it's gross, and is why I try to buy as much as I can from local farmers who do things the old way. Buying straight from the farm, I don't even find it that much more expensive - no need to sign over the deed to your house to Whole Foods.

angry-chicken.jpg

:roll:

I wonder how a farm would go over that lets you choose and kill your own chicken. That way you can be sure no one used bleach.

Isn't the bleach used to prevent food poisoning since chickens are covered in pathogens. They are pretty disgusting critters.

I dunno. I've smelled meat and fish sprayed with chorine, and I think one's nose would have to be out of order to miss it.

You dont seem to understand why they are dowsing meats and fish with chlorine.. it is because the production system is filthy and the animals are treated poorly.

Beyond gross.

I looked into the chick question two years ago, when the German Greens were using it to block or at least slow ttip negotiations. I didn't really think the procedure so unpleasant personally, but as the regional media and politicians had picked up the cry, I wanted to know. After reading up my conclusion was that the German Greens' position was not sensible. The hygiene of the American procedure was much more sanitary than the German one and caused far fewer infections and poisoning.

That is what i mean by setting the bar so low. That germany is as bad or even worse than america at industrialised farming does not mean that americas hygene rate is sanitary. It obviously is not if the meat has to be chemically steralised before consumption.

Then there are the acid sprays to decontaminate the pork, and then all the hormone-riddled beef stuffed with antibiotics. We really don't want that. Brexit must die.

Not true, we have consumer laws in my country that would require labeling of a harmful chemical like chlorine being added to the food. Actually i believe we have laws prohibiting the raising of chickens in conditions where chlorinating them is needed. Consumers do have some power.

Soy, brother, let me help you see the error in your ways! As mentioned, you can buy organic meat! No need to lower yourself into the clammy, cold clutches of vegetarianism, you, too, can have organic chicken wings, sans bleach! It goes great with organic beer and organic blue cheese sauce. Helpful hint: skip the celery and carrots! ;)

Seriously, though, you're right, it's gross, and is why I try to buy as much as I can from local farmers who do things the old way. Buying straight from the farm, I don't even find it that much more expensive - no need to sign over the deed to your house to Whole Foods.

I understand that you can buy organic as an alternative. But it is a case of one or the other. Go organic at the higher price end of the market or go vegetarian. Or risk eating what laughably passes for meat in the american meat industry. Which the more i read about the less likely i am inclined to try.

I wonder how a farm would go over that lets you choose and kill your own chicken. That way you can be sure no one used bleach.

Isn't the bleach used to prevent food poisoning since chickens are covered in pathogens. They are pretty disgusting critters.

Some would disagree.

That is what i mean by setting the bar so low. That germany is as bad or even worse than america at industrialised farming does not mean that americas hygene rate is sanitary. It obviously is not if the meat has to be chemically steralised before consumption.

I don't really see, why you would not want to sterilise food. That sounds precarious at best.

Whole Foods....now owned by Amazon.

Much ado about nothing. Europe doesn't use chlorine (anymore) because their food producers are allowed to irradiate their meats, something US producers are not yet legally allowed to do.

I don't really see, why you would not want to sterilise food. That sounds precarious at best.

They mass produce chickens inside stacked cages in warehouses. Fecal matter drops from the top cages onto the ones below and dried fecal matter from below turns to dust and gets blown about. The health conditions are poor but hormones for quick growth means the chickens are not there long enough to become ill from it. just carry the germs. Why would you want meat grown in such conditions that it needs sterilising.

They mass produce chickens inside stacked cages in warehouses. Fecal matter drops from the top cages onto the ones below and dried fecal matter from below turns to dust and gets blown about. The health conditions are poor but hormones for quick growth means the chickens are not there long enough to become ill from it. just carry the germs. Why would you want meat grown in such conditions that it needs sterilising.

I guess you don't want the poor to have chicken on the table. That's mean.

Please show evidence that "free range" chickens are cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom