• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

bleached chickens.

Not true, we have consumer laws in my country that would require labeling of a harmful chemical like chlorine being added to the food. Actually i believe we have laws prohibiting the raising of chickens in conditions where chlorinating them is needed. Consumers do have some power.

So do we in the EU.. they dont in the US as far as I know.. Consumer protection is a town in Russia as they say in Denmark... almost non existent.

A normal human being would not eat something that has "Dipped in Chlorine" on it.. or "pumped full of drugs".

Industrial Chicken "farming" and processing is an appalling industry. However the use of chlorine to prevent food-borne infection is sensible given the unsanitary conditions under which the chickens are raised. If you object to using chlorine on your chicken to protect you from food poisoning but use table salt on your meal (NaCl - Sodium Chloride) then you're not being very consistent in your hate of halogens!

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Industrial Chicken "farming" and processing is an appalling industry. However the use of chlorine to prevent food-borne infection is sensible given the unsanitary conditions under which the chickens are raised. If you object to using chlorine on your chicken to protect you from food poisoning but use table salt on your meal (NaCl - Sodium Chloride) then you're not being very consistent in your hate of halogens!

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Chlorine or chloride has different properties depending on what if anything it is combined with

But going your way

The dislike of Cyanide is irrational as the air we breath has nitrogen and carbon in it just like cyanide

Chlorine or chloride has different properties depending on what if anything it is combined with

But going your way

The dislike of Cyanide is irrational as the air we breath has nitrogen and carbon in it just like cyanide

Lord Tammerlain:

And apple seeds and almonds are laced with certain types of cyanides too! The point is that one has to weigh the danger of food-borne infection killing you against the long-term toxicity of chlorine. One might kill you at age 10. 15, or 35 years. The other will slowly damage you over time and may kill you after generations of exposure but at least you got to survive long enough for the chlorine to kill you. It's sort of like hard-rock miners who actually protected their lungs from mining related damage by heavily smoking. Sure, they died at 55 from emphysema, but had they not smoked they would have died younger from silicosis. So, you pick your poison and live/die with the results of your choices.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Lord Tammerlain:

And apple seeds and almonds are laced with certain types of cyanides too! The point is that one has to weigh the danger of food-borne infection killing you against the long-term toxicity of chlorine. One might kill you at age 10. 15, or 35 years. The other will slowly damage you over time and may kill you after generations of exposure but at least you got to survive long enough for the chlorine to kill you. It's sort of like hard-rock miners who actually protected their lungs from mining related damage by heavily smoking. Sure, they died at 55 from emphysema, but had they not smoked they would have died younger from silicosis. So, you pick your poison and live/die with the results of your choices.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Overall I expect bleached chicken to be very bland. The last time I bought some chicken breast for a kabob they were the most bland tasting meat I have had in years ( I don't eat chicken breast very often

You dont seem to understand why they are dowsing meats and fish with chlorine.. it is because the production system is filthy and the animals are treated poorly.

I'm not clear as to how the animals are treated relates to chlorine use. Unless you are pouring it over live chickens.

Bottom line. Processing plants start with a critter covered with dirt and their own waste products and turn it into something edible. So the carcass needs to be cleaned. A simple wipe down with a rag is not adequate. I'm not opposed to chlorine bleach. Effective, and decades of use in drinking water have shown it to be relatively safe.

Don't you have to eat something like 5% of your body weight in chlorine-dipped chicken each day to approach a safety risk?

Ah well, I eat Empire Kosher chickens. Much tastier.

I guess you don't want the poor to have chicken on the table. That's mean.

Where as i have no need to guess why the standards are so poor in america Even the excuse for maintaining the standards are poor. When you have to feed the poor poisoned meat in order to feed them then you do have a poor excuse of a system.

Please show evidence that "free range" chickens are cleaner.

No, it is more a case of demonstrate that caged chickens are necessary. Rather than a cruel and unhealthy way of raising chickens. The cruelty and disease and bad health f chickens in caged environments is undeniable.

So do we in the EU.. they dont in the US as far as I know.. Consumer protection is a town in Russia as they say in Denmark... almost non existent.

A normal human being would not eat something that has "Dipped in Chlorine" on it.. or "pumped full of drugs".

I beg to differ. The mass production of meat in america means that animals are being pumped with growth hormones, antibiotics and suspect grain. Normal human beings who buy their meat through ordinary food chains are in fact, eating something that has "Dipped in Chlorine" on it.. or "pumped full of drugs".

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Ridiculous the food would taste bad if i had to use the amount of salt needed to do any good. Instead of using salt just as a spice. The practice is necessary because the practice puts profit above health of the animal or the consumer. It is not a justification to poison the met with chlorine just because the conditions are deliberately made so bad that it is needed.

But going your way

The nitrogen and carbon in the air are not of sufficient quantity to kill germs. Where as the chlorine is, so not much of a comparison.

You dont seem to understand why they are dowsing meats and fish with chlorine.. it is because the production system is filthy and the animals are treated poorly.

I understand completely. I've actually seen some of this. It's part of the reason I don't buy foods processed at bulk plants for the most part, and it goes beyond just chicken, and meat in general, for that matter. Vegetables can have problems too, and we hear of them periodically. Didn't the Germans have such a problem a year or two ago, and with a vegetable? I forget the specifics, but I think they did have a serious problem. If vegetables are grown in soil that is somewhat septic, all kinds of bad things can happen, and often do.

They mass produce chickens inside stacked cages in warehouses. Fecal matter drops from the top cages onto the ones below and dried fecal matter from below turns to dust and gets blown about. The health conditions are poor but hormones for quick growth means the chickens are not there long enough to become ill from it. just carry the germs. Why would you want meat grown in such conditions that it needs sterilising.

Meat in Europe needs to be irradiated.

Europe dipped their chicken in chlorine prior to irradiation, and you folks ate tons of it.

Where as i have no need to guess why the standards are so poor in america Even the excuse for maintaining the standards are poor. When you have to feed the poor poisoned meat in order to feed them then you do have a poor excuse of a system.

Uh huh.

Try googling "food born illness per capita" for Europe, and compare with the US, lol.

Ridiculous the food would taste bad if i had to use the amount of salt needed to do any good. Instead of using salt just as a spice. The practice is necessary because the practice puts profit above health of the animal or the consumer. It is not a justification to poison the met with chlorine just because the conditions are deliberately made so bad that it is needed.

Soylentgreen:

There are now seven billion humans on this planet clamouring for food and that number is likely to rise to close to ten billion by 2050. This kind of industrial-scale growing and processing of food, while profoundly wrong, immoral and unpleasant, is necessary and is what more and more of the world is trending toward. Available arable land is decreasing as cities grow. Fish stalks are collapsing globally. Aquaculture cannot keep up and risks altering the naturally occuring fish stocks which are under great stress. Traditional methods of animal husbandry cannot sustain the demand for food. Intensive farming and dairy production are the only competative means of growing non-cereal crops. Extensive agriculture requires huge amounts of arable land which is not an option for more and more countries in the world today. Hydroponic and intensive greenhouse gardening are marginal suppliers of food right now as are urban gardens. Until we can convince people to eat algae and yeast or, as Harry Harrison portrayed it, to consume ourselves, industrial-scale food growing and processing is here to stay. The chlorine is necessary to stop food-borne infection from running endemic through the population. Like it or not, it is necessary. This is the hand we have dealt ourselves so complaining, while possibly satisfying, is not going to change the facts on the ground. Poor food is better than no food.

Cheers?
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
No, it is more a case of demonstrate that caged chickens are necessary. Rather than a cruel and unhealthy way of raising chickens. The cruelty and disease and bad health f chickens in caged environments is undeniable.

No, it's a case of raising food people can afford. I thought libs cared about the poor. Not really, it's obvious libs don't give a rat's ass about the poor. If they did, they wouldn't support so many policies which harm the poor. :shrug:

Soylentgreen:

There are now seven billion humans on this planet clamouring for food and that number is likely to rise to close to ten billion by 2050. This kind of industrial-scale growing and processing of food, while profoundly wrong, immoral and unpleasant, is necessary and is what more and more of the world is trending toward. Available arable land is decreasing as cities grow. Fish stalks are collapsing globally. Aquaculture cannot keep up and risks altering the naturally occuring fish stocks which are under great stress. Traditional methods of animal husbandry cannot sustain the demand for food. Intensive farming and dairy production are the only competative means of growing non-cereal crops. Extensive agriculture requires huge amounts of arable land which is not an option for more and more countries in the world today. Hydroponic and intensive greenhouse gardening are marginal suppliers of food right now as are urban gardens. Until we can convince people to eat algae and yeast or, as Harry Harrison portrayed it, to consume ourselves, industrial-scale food growing and processing is here to stay. The chlorine is necessary to stop food-borne infection from running endemic through the population. Like it or not, it is necessary. This is the hand we have dealt ourselves so complaining, while possibly satisfying, is not going to change the facts on the ground. Poor food is better than no food.

Cheers?
Evilroddy.

Err. That should be "fish stocks". Where was my head at when I typed stalks?

A sheepish cheers.
Evilroddy.

Meat in Europe needs to be irradiated.
Uh huh.

Try googling "food born illness per capita" for Europe, and compare with the US, lol.

So? Is that suppose to be an excuse for american bad behaviour? You present the argument of a five year old who gets caught with his hand in the biscuit tin and claims his brother also did it .

Soylentgreen:

Cheers?
Evilroddy.

This is what is called a complete bull**** argument. The world produces more food than ever before. With much of it being deliberately wasted. The only reason that we have starving people in the world today is that there is no profit to be made from feeding the poor.
Your claims are the lies spread by distributors of food who want only to maintain a high profit, not feed the world.

No, it's a case of raising food people can afford. I thought libs cared about the poor. Not really, it's obvious libs don't give a rat's ass about the poor. If they did, they wouldn't support so many policies which harm the poor. :shrug:

There are businesses who do grow such food without resorting to inhumane and unhealthy conditions to do so. And manage to sell it at an affordable price. the industrialisation of food is simply to create profit, not food.

And i am not a lib. Nor do support policies that help only the wealthy to create profit by means that bring harm to the environment or the consumers.

I am not sure, what you are trying to say.

So? Is that suppose to be an excuse for american bad behaviour? You present the argument of a five year old who gets caught with his hand in the biscuit tin and claims his brother also did it .

You're missing my point. Most everywhere does it the same way. Chickens, in particular, are dirty, nasty animals. Have you ever been inside of a chicken coop?

And yet, the US has a far better track record than the rest of the world. And we're behind the times, we're not allowed to irradiate our food like Europe does. Because the idiots here freak out over the word irradiate, much the same way you freak out over the word chlorine, yet, you dip your entire body in the stuff when you swim, you drink it in the water, etc. Are you a chemist? Have you ever studied the subject? Do you have the first clue about what you're talking about? Nope. You just read the word chlorine, and think, OMG, like, America, and their bad food!

America feeds over 2/3s of the planet, every day. Every day. Our FDA, even with all its flaws, is second to none, despite what the French might want you to believe. 20 years ago, every single country in Europe bleached their chicken, too, but now they are allowed to irradiate it. Why? Because no matter how you raise meats and poultry, animals are dirty, and harbor food born illness inducing pathogens.

So, smart guy, have you got a better way to feed 2/3s of the planet, on a budget?

You're missing my point. Most everywhere does it the same way. Chickens, in particular, are dirty, nasty animals. Have you ever been inside of a chicken coop?

And yet, the US has a far better track record than the rest of the world. And we're behind the times, we're not allowed to irradiate our food like Europe does. Because the idiots here freak out over the word irradiate, much the same way you freak out over the word chlorine, yet, you dip your entire body in the stuff when you swim, you drink it in the water, etc. Are you a chemist? Have you ever studied the subject? Do you have the first clue about what you're talking about? Nope. You just read the word chlorine, and think, OMG, like, America, and their bad food!

America feeds over 2/3s of the planet, every day. Every day. Our FDA, even with all its flaws, is second to none, despite what the French might want you to believe. 20 years ago, every single country in Europe bleached their chicken, too, but now they are allowed to irradiate it. Why? Because no matter how you raise meats and poultry, animals are dirty, and harbor food born illness inducing pathogens.

So, smart guy, have you got a better way to feed 2/3s of the planet, on a budget?

I have seen inside a chicken coop and thy are no messier than any animal confined. Nor are they in the habit of being messy when roaming free. It is people who create their condition not the animal.

Your approach is simplistic. And is nothing more than the typical whinging that someone is attacking america. The kind of industrialisation of animals does happen around the world. The fact that I pick out america is because now america wants to force its practice on the world. Not because it just happens in America.

There is no starvation because of lack of food. We produce more than enough to feed the world. The cruel and messy practice is done for profit only. Not so that a bunch of americans can feel good and boast how much they are doing the world a favour.

Back
Top Bottom