• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blatant racism on Netflix original series "Ozark"

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
There might be spoilers here but I'll be as discrete as I can.

I can't be the only person that noticed that the psycho blonde chick character listens to African-American rap and gets inspired to go shoot a person of color? Come on, even you people who don't train yourself to see ubiquitous racism as I have can see that, right? The idea that African-American men internalize "thug culture'" has been a racist trope for decades now. That's really incredibly offensive and I hope there will be a movement to have the show removed from streaming.

I'm looking forward to the new season. Here I thought the show was about money laundering for a drug cartel. I didn't realize I was supposed to be watching for 'the real meaning' of the show, the hidden meaning.

Do we have to pick apart everything for the hidden meanings from the deep state? Can't we just enjoy the show? What's next? Commies in Yellowstone?

I can't be the only person that noticed that the psycho blonde chick character listens to African-American rap and gets inspired to go shoot a person of color? Come on, even you people who don't train yourself to see ubiquitous racism as I have can see that, right? The idea that African-American men internalize "thug culture'" has been a racist trope for decades now. That's really incredibly offensive and I hope there will be a movement to have the show removed from streaming.

Censoring things that trigger you?

Reactions: PoS

In 2004, Mediamark Research Inc. estimated that closer to 60 percent of rap music consumers were white. One would have to live on a deserted island, or be tucked away in a closet for the last 30 years to not know this. Furthermore, she killed the man who murdered her cousin. He belonged to a Mexican cartel. By what strange osmosis do you find this "blatantly racist"?

I'm looking forward to the new season. Here I thought the show was about money laundering for a drug cartel. I didn't realize I was supposed to be watching for 'the real meaning' of the show, the hidden meaning.

Do we have to pick apart everything for the hidden meanings from the deep state? Can't we just enjoy the show? What's next? Commies in Yellowstone?
Did you watch that episode?

FFS, that the OP would come away with racist overtones to OZARK, is unreal!

I have watched all the episodes. First you have to leave logic at the door. Never once did I think, “yeah, that’s what I would do,” after some of the things that take place. That being said, I found the series very entertaining. The last season drags a little, but is so-so compared to the first 3 1/2. I enjoyed the characters and the cinematography. They certainly made Wendy Byrde out to be a witch. The last line is pretty much on target……

FFS, that the OP would come away with racist overtones to OZARK, is unreal!

I have watched all the episodes. First you have to leave logic at the door. Never once did I think, “yeah, that’s what I would do,” after some of the things that take place. That being said, I found the series very entertaining. The last season drags a little, but is so-so compared to the first 3 1/2. I enjoyed the characters and the cinematography. They certainly made Wendy Byrde out to be a witch. The last line is pretty much on target……

She always was since episode 1

This is the last half of the last season. I don't recall the scene you're referring to.

Hmmm. I just watched that one but don't remember the racist shooting.

Because there wasn't one. The OP is making it seem like Ruth listening to rap music and then shooting the cartel boss was somehow racist

Because there wasn't one. The OP is making it seem like Ruth listening to rap music and then shooting the cartel boss was somehow racist
Ok, I remember that scene.

I am looking forward to catching Julia Garner in something else. I don’t remember seeing her in anything else. She plays the Ruth Langmore character. I am going to be having a hard time no=t seeing Ruth in whatever she is next in. A quick look at her bio tells that she was born in NYC, I’d have been almost any other place but there based on her performance. Not been surprised to find out she started as an on location extra…..

I am looking forward to catching Julia Garner in something else. I don’t remember seeing her in anything else. She plays the Ruth Langmore character. I am going to be having a hard time no=t seeing Ruth in whatever she is next in. A quick look at her bio tells that she was born in NYC, I’d have been almost any other place but there based on her performance. Not been surprised to find out she started as an on location extra…..

She is great in "inventing Anna" on hulu she was also good in "dirty john" on netflix

Wow, put down the WokaCola! But yeah, it's the little, pale, white woman, not the legion of hispanic drug cartel that drove most of the violence in Ozark, lol!

Besides the shows @Crovax mentioned, Garner also had a really good part in The Americans. I think she's terrific.

You are implying the music is what is making her go after the guy and not the fact that the guy killed her cousin?

Sorry for the spoiler but this had to be asked.

Maybe you should thank the producers for promoting that garbage "music" as a way to stop the voices inside a persons head, which is probably why she was listening to it non stop.

I'm fine with how it ended, but would've preferred a different ending.

If she was chugging a 40 oz malt liquor on the way to the killing we may have something here.

Back
Top Bottom