• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blame the whole group fallacy

Simpletruther

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It seems built into out DNA on some level.

Examples thst come to mind:

Indians scalped a few settlers unjustly, blame and demonize all native Americans.

Pearl harbor, blame all Japanese and throw them into camps.

A few snakes are poisonous, kill every snake you see.

We see it now in politics amplified to the moon. Both sides see their favorite biased news sources showing naughty things from the extremists, and some on each side make blanket condemnations of the other side, see them as mortal enemies and ascribe to them the very worst deeds of the worst offenders of their kind.

It’s partcularly relevant to the police situation right now. It’s utterly irrational in light of the statistics we have covered many times on the board here.

And just saying “not every single Japanese is a monster” doesn’t get someone off the hook for this fallacy.

Indians scalped a few settlers unjustly, blame and demonize all native Americans.

We see it now in politics amplified to the moon. Both sides see their favorite biased news sources showing naughty things from the extremists, and some on each side make blanket condemnations of the other side, see them as mortal enemies and ascribe to them the very worst deeds of the worst offenders of their kind.

It’s partcularly relevant to the police situation right now. It’s utterly irrational in light of the statistics we have covered many times on the board here.

And just saying “not every single Japanese is a monster” doesn’t get someone off the hook for this fallacy.

Just like they post "police killed a black man" - meaning ONE police officer equals all - demanding something be done about all police, I keep asking what should we do about black people when black people (one) kill a child? What are we going to do about those murdering black people? Black people murdered still another person. The same thing.

Just like they post "police killed a black man" - meaning ONE police officer equals all - demanding something be done about all police, I keep asking what should we do about black people when black people (one) kill a child? What are we going to do about those murdering black people? Black people murdered still another person. The same thing.

Man I just noticed my profile says I have only given 2 likes, it’s At least a hundred by now. ???????

Man I just noticed my profile says I have only given 2 likes, it’s At least a hundred by now. ???????

If you click on like twice, it will put it up and then take it down. For example, if you click "like" - but nothing happens so you click it again - that is what can happen. Some forums do not allow removing a like. This one does.

Last edited:
If you click on like twice, it will put it up and then take it down. For example, if you click "like" - but nothing happens so you click it again - that is what can happen. Some forums do not allow removing a like. This one does.

I just liked your post. But it still shows I have only given 2 likes such I joined. Must be a glitch.

Every trump rally is the same, him spitting venom and selling fear. Priests telling people you can't be catholic and vote Democrat and now the R's about to put a Qanon supporter into congress and it's the dems that are the problem?

Every trump rally is the same, him spitting venom and selling fear. Priests telling people you can't be catholic and vote Democrat and now the R's about to put a Qanon supporter into congress and it's the dems that are the problem?

Belief in Qanon should automatically disqualify a person from even being elected dogcatcher, but of course it is impossible to exact such a draconian policy, when in reality it is the lack of education that allows people to be bamboozled into such nonsense in the first place.

But still, that said, belief in Qanon is not much different than belief in a flat earth.
Both are clear signs of pure lunacy.

Belief in Qanon should automatically disqualify a person from even being elected dogcatcher, but of course it is impossible to exact such a draconian policy, when in reality it is the lack of education that allows people to be bamboozled into such nonsense in the first place.

But still, that said, belief in Qanon is not much different than belief in a flat earth.
Both are clear signs of pure lunacy.

Many flat earthers are flat earthers because the lulz. QAnon is not lulz.

It’s going to be so funny when this thread devolves into you calling all protestors rioters and all BLM criminals.

“Devolves.” Heh.

Some do that, sure.

Ya’ll do that. Trump started the summer telling us he was with the peaceful protestors. Then he teargassed them so he could stand in front of a church. Now he needs a campaign slogan after fumbling the ball at “What is your second term agenda?” yard line. So *all* protesting is rioting. All rioting is cop murders.

You post this like all of us haven’t been having these exact exchanges with you folks on these boards, IRL, etc.

Ya’ll do that. Trump started the summer telling us he was with the peaceful protestors. Then he teargassed them so he could stand in front of a church. Now he needs a campaign slogan after fumbling the ball at “What is your second term agenda?” yard line. So *all* protesting is rioting. All rioting is cop murders.

You post this like all of us haven’t been having these exact exchanges with you folks on these boards, IRL, etc.

As my OP quite clearly notes, both sides do it.

When I was nine I thought the only good German was a dead German. I make no retrospective apology; we had been at war with a loathsome and barbaric enemy for as long as my memory extended.

Are you speaking of a fallacy of composition? Speak English, man.

As to fallacy being built into our DNA... that is just stupidity to say.

Yes but this time around it is being funded in the hundreds of millions.
Democrats are America hating communists and they support terrorism.
You'd have to be an idiot to believe that but it's being proven day after day that we now live in the America predicted by the Mike Judge film "Idiocracy", so there's no shortage of idiots.
And we idiot proofed society too, so society responded by building better idiots...with more idiocy, that is.

Bump for a still very relevant OP

Back
Top Bottom