• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blago found guilty on only 1 count of 24...

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Just heard live that the jury only convicted on one of 24 counts...lying to the Feds (like Martha Stewart). They were hung on all the rest.

Do you think the state should retry him on the others? I've always thought that retrying, unless there's some kind of procedural error, amounts to persecution. You?

Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds

Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds - CNN.com

CNN 5:42- Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted of a relatively minor charge -- giving a false statement to federal investigators -- but the jury hung on 23 other counts.

Jurors deliberated for 14 days but could not reach a unanimous verdict on the most serious corruption counts. Jurors also could not decide on the charges against Blagojevich's brother, Robert.

Was surprised not to see this here. Don't really know what to think of this. I sure thought he was guilty of everything, but the jurors have much more information than I. The max penalty for the one conviction is 5 years and a 250k fine.

Re: Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds

I am sort of surprised that he wasn't found guilty of more things as I was pretty sure he was guilty of most of the charges. I foresee him getting the max for the one guilty charge though.

Can't expect them to come up with anymore than this, since all of the prosecution's eye witnesses are high ranking government officials.

Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds - CNN.com

Was surprised not to see this here. Don't really know what to think of this. I sure thought he was guilty of everything, but the jurors have much more information than I. The max penalty for the one conviction is 5 years and a 250k fine.

Actually, I did post it. Don't think anyone responded unless in the last few minutes. Feel free to delete it. It appears the prosecution will retry him on some or all of the counts.

I've always had a problem with that. It's not double jeopardy, of course, but if 12 people couldn't reach a unanimous decision, then, IMO, nuff said. To retry a person ruins them for the most part....if not psychologically, then certainly financially. Unless there's a procedural error of some kind that results in a mistrial, I think it should be over myself. Seems to me that anything more is persecution.

He was found guilty of the same thing Martha Stewart was convicted of -- lying to the Feds. She got six months.

Actually, I did post it. Don't think anyone responded unless in the last few minutes. Feel free to delete it. It appears the prosecution will retry him on some or all of the counts.

I've always had a problem with that. It's not double jeopardy, of course, but if 12 people couldn't reach a unanimous decision, then, IMO, nuff said. To retry a person ruins them for the most part....if not psychologically, then certainly financially. Unless there's a procedural error of some kind that results in a mistrial, I think it should be over myself. Seems to me that anything more is persecution.

He was found guilty of the same thing Martha Stewart was convicted of -- lying to the Feds. She got six months.

I will find it and merge the threads. Sorry about that, I did not see it when I posted this.

OK, you posted it in Law and Order. Going to leave this one here then, since I think this is breaking news. I can merge them and put the merged thread here if that is ok with you.

OK, you posted it in Law and Order. Going to leave this one here then, since I think this is breaking news. I can merge them and put the merged thread here if that is ok with you.

You have my permission to make it so. Carry on!

By all means. Perfect. I posted it from live Chicago radio so I didn't put it under breaking news.

Threads merged and parked in Breaking News.

I think he was fairly well ruined as soon as the decision was taken to charge him with anything.

I think he was fairly well ruined as soon as the decision was taken to charge him with anything.

Yeah, I do, too, JuJu. I'm pretty sure they'll retry him. He'll be bankrupt, if he isn't already.

I knew he was done when I heard he was on that stupid Donald Trump show. I mean who really has the time to do that when you have twenty four criminal charges against you.

Yeah, I do, too, JuJu. I'm pretty sure they'll retry him. He'll be bankrupt, if he isn't already.

He'll either write a tell all expose, or, Obama will slide a few million bucks worth of grease to never talk about it again. He's all good.

He'll either write a tell all expose, or, Obama will slide a few million bucks worth of grease to never talk about it again. He's all good.

It's raining outside. Let's talk about Obama's theoretical involvement.

File this under "Don't care" but I do love his phone conversations.

He's a good man.

It's raining outside. Let's talk about Obama's theoretical involvement.

Theoretical? All those times when Blago said, "Barrack", on those taped phone messages; he wasn't talking about Barrack Obama?

Theoretical my ass.

Listened to the jury foreman on a radio talk show this morning. He said that as far as the two most onerous indictment charges (racketeering/conspiracy), the vote was consistently 11-1 to convict. The lone holdout wouldn't change her mind.

He also said that he believes the government should retry Blago on the hung jury counts. The prosecutors told the judge that the government will indeed retry the no verdict counts, and a hearing is scheduled next week to set a new trial date. This bodes ill for Blago. The Chicago Feds have a conviction rate of 95%. Blago will be sentenced for lying to the FBI - and any other additional guilty verdicts - at the close of the retrial.

Last edited:

Obama and Rahm must have done him a solid.

Back
Top Bottom