• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blade Runner

Love "Ladyhawke" though...

Mans quest for immortality... or in the case of the 'replicants', replicants quest for more than a predetermined life span.

A great SF.

The film depicts a dystopian Los Angeles in November 2019 in which genetically engineered organic robots called replicants—visually indistinguishable from adult humans—are manufactured by the powerful Tyrell Corporation as well as other mega manufacturers around the world. Their use on Earth is banned, and replicants are exclusively used for dangerous, menial or leisure work on Earth's off-world colonies. Replicants who defy the ban and return to Earth are hunted down and "retired" by police special operatives known as "blade runners". The plot focuses on a brutal and cunning group of recently escaped replicants hiding in Los Angeles and the burnt out expert blade runner, Rick Deckard, who reluctantly agrees to take on one more assignment to hunt them down.
Blade Runner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW: Deckard is a replicant.

mike2810;bt487 said:
A great SF.

The film depicts a dystopian Los Angeles in November 2019 in which genetically engineered organic robots called replicants—visually indistinguishable from adult humans—are manufactured by the powerful Tyrell Corporation as well as other mega manufacturers around the world. Their use on Earth is banned, and replicants are exclusively used for dangerous, menial or leisure work on Earth's off-world colonies. Replicants who defy the ban and return to Earth are hunted down and "retired" by police special operatives known as "blade runners". The plot focuses on a brutal and cunning group of recently escaped replicants hiding in Los Angeles and the burnt out expert blade runner, Rick Deckard, who reluctantly agrees to take on one more assignment to hunt them down.
Blade Runner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW: Deckard is a replicant.

I don't think that was ever confirmed anywhere... was it?

Whovian;bt488 said:
Broderick had the best line in that movie...

This is my favorite line from him:

Imperius: Thank you for trying, and for standing up for the truth.
Phillipe: I should have known better. Every moment of happiness in my life has come from lying.

and also

Phillipe: I told the truth, Lord! How can I learn any moral lessons when you keep confusing me this way?

Imo the moral of the story is that all life is precious even in a dystopia. The protaganist was really the skin job known as Roy Battey who in the moments before death told the Blade Runner of the visions he had seen off the shoals of Orion. With his death, "all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."

Whovian;bt489 said:
I don't think that was ever confirmed anywhere... was it?

in an interview in Wired magazine in 2007, Ridley again states that Deckard is a replicant,. Can't remember the link.

mike2810;bt492 said:
in an interview in Wired magazine in 2007, Ridley again states that Deckard is a replicant,. Can't remember the link.

Only Harrison Ford has said he isn't. So this probably open to interpretation.

Also, I don't see how Deckard being a replicant comes across in the film.

Then again, this film probably suffers for having so many different editions out there - such evidence depends on which version of the film you watch.

Only Harrison Ford has said he isn't. So this probably open to interpretation.

Probably as a trick to help Ford in his role as a guy who doesn't think he's anyone else.

Ever since, it was the attempt of our illustrious director to put cut after cut that adjusted the film here or there to make the connection between the Runner and the replicants.

Back
Top Bottom