• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blacks in California Are Divided Over Proposition 19

The Dane

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
“I was a pastor on crack cocaine, sir,” said Mr. Allen, who says he has been sober for 11 years and now identifies himself as the bishop of the International Faith Based Coalition here. “Drugs have no religious preference.”

And while crack cocaine laid him low, Mr. Allen says his first drug of choice was marijuana. So it is that Mr. Allen and a cadre of other black pastors, priests and other religious leaders have bonded together in recent weeks to fight what they see as a potentially devastating blow to their communities: Proposition 19, the California ballot measure that would tax and regulate marijuana.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/us/20pot.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

Yeah I don't understand why someone's past history as a drug addict can serve as a badge of expertise for anything, including drugs. I am less inclined to listen to a former drug addict about drugs then I am just about anyone.

It's sad to say, but clergy has pretty much lost credibility in the eyes of the masses, (zealots notwithstanding.)

How come it's always the snake-oil saleman preachers that make it to the top of the airwaves only to be eventually exposed for what they are and religion, as a whole, takes a shot to the gut.

The faithful, obedient, silent workers of Christ barely go mentioned.

I'm not even religious. But I can see the injustice of it all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/us/20pot.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

Yeah I don't understand why someone's past history as a drug addict can serve as a badge of expertise for anything, including drugs. I am less inclined to listen to a former drug addict about drugs then I am just about anyone.

He is not claiming that I see to be an expert, but explaining why he thinks it is a bad idea based on his experiences. This is nothing more than what every one does, make judgments based on what they have experienced.

how would it be a devastating blow to their communities??

I drank milk first then became an Alcoholic, I suppose that means milk is a gateway substance also.

(sarcasms, never was an Alcoholic lol)

It is no surprise that our generations of recent past, having been conditioned and programmed during the "Reefer Madness" era, made all of society's "psychotic marijuana smokers go stand in the coner with all the herion junkies and skidrow wino's." They could not distinguish between the two.

I always heard, "If you want to be a doctor, associate with Doctor's. If you want to be a lawyer, associate with Lawyers. If you want to be a pothead, go hang out with the junkies."

But, now that modern day society has become more educated and are not as gullable as our parents might have been regarding marijuana, (coupled with the fact that I have partaken with many a doctors and lawyers in the essence of the herb,) I think it's safe to say that the archaic opinion of marijuana is pretty much buried and dead. The marijuana smoker no longer has to keep company with the junkie. Therefore, lessening the chance of him/her becoming a product of his/her junkie environment.

I have never even seen herion in my whole life, much less try it. I hate crackheads and junkies. But I do love a good bud of hydro.

Last edited:
how would it be a devastating blow to their communities??

I drank milk first then became an Alcoholic, I suppose that means milk is a gateway substance also.

(sarcasms, never was an Alcoholic lol)

Yeah, it's not as if the black community has a drug problem. Legalizing dope would be just what the doctor ordered.

I'm a little frustrated the NY times didn't decide to simply write a peace on proposition 19, but instead they chose to write a peace about how it would affect blacks. Not to say that blacks wouldn't be substantially affected by the law.

I'm a little frustrated the NY times didn't decide to simply write a peace on proposition 19, but instead they chose to write a peace about how it would affect blacks. Not to say that blacks wouldn't be substantially affected by the law.

The media doesn't have a liberal bias, it has a financial one. Controversy sells, so you make more money selling the controversy.

Yeah, it's not as if the black community has a drug problem. Legalizing dope would be just what the doctor ordered.

Your right, it is just what the doctor ordered, Legalize weed and take out a massive amount of the organized drug trade. Then kids wouldn't be raised slinging dope at such a young age and rather be focused on more important things. Really legalize all drugs and watch those neighborhoods get better, I mean if they are all legalized then these kids won't need to be brought up learning how to sell.

It's sad to say, but clergy has pretty much lost credibility in the eyes of the masses, (zealots notwithstanding.)

How come it's always the snake-oil saleman preachers that make it to the top of the airwaves only to be eventually exposed for what they are and religion, as a whole, takes a shot to the gut.

The faithful, obedient, silent workers of Christ barely go mentioned.

I'm not even religious. But I can see the injustice of it all.

Because a lot of people are either too blind, too dumb to see the fact the so called preacher is nothing more than a snake-oil salesmen or a combination of both. The reason the faithful, obedient silent workers of Christ go unnoticed is because most likely they read Mathew chapter 6:1-8 and abide by it.

Black preachers deal with the day to day consequences of insobriety; the bruises, cut lips, broken bones, bullet wounds and the wasted lives. So, no, they're not going to be easily persuaded that ending any form of prohibition benefits their parishioners and communities. Especially when every corner store offers 20 varieties of totally legal, high alcohol content beer but not one piece of fresh fruit. Prop 19 isn't going to help that ratio one bit.

If you are going to win over church going people you're going to have to explain the consequences of prohibition and how that does more harm than good. It's a tough sale, though. Be prepared to lose 8 out of 10 God-fearing people who see prohibition preventing a bad situation from being even worse.

Black preachers deal with the day to day consequences of insobriety; the bruises, cut lips, broken bones, bullet wounds and the wasted lives. So, no, they're not going to be easily persuaded that ending any form of prohibition benefits their parishioners and communities. Especially when every corner store offers 20 varieties of totally legal, high alcohol content beer but not one piece of fresh fruit. Prop 19 isn't going to help that ratio one bit.

If you are going to win over church going people you're going to have to explain the consequences of prohibition and how that does more harm than good. It's a tough sale, though. Be prepared to lose 8 out of 10 God-fearing people who see prohibition preventing a bad situation from being even worse.

I just fail to see how the Church's opinion is even remotely relevant here.

I just fail to see how the Church's opinion is even remotely relevant here.

It's not. Crack heads, clean, or not, can no longer think clearly.

I'm thinking of Mr. Allen.

Last edited:
Because a lot of people are either too blind, too dumb to see the fact the so called preacher is nothing more than a snake-oil salesmen or a combination of both. The reason the faithful, obedient silent workers of Christ go unnoticed is because most likely they read Mathew chapter 6:1-8 and abide by it.

Not to mention that there are many, many pastors who humbly take on their role in the community, rather than trying to be the rock star of a church. As always, the good go unnoticed, while the Jeremiah Wrights and Robert Tiltons get all the pub.

“The arrest statistics are disproportionate with respect to African-Americans and disproportionate with respect to use,” said Mr. MacCoun. “And that’s very hard to justify in any way.”

yep - I attest this is quite true.

My husband's family lives in Freemont, CA (near Oakland - I think). They are *rich* - not because of their current employment status - but because of Great-Gramps and his incredible abilities as an Entrepreneur/businessman - he built a family fortune.

Being rich - there's no reason for them to work. So no one works.
Gopalo and Gee - they NEVER have worked.
Gee's kids don't work (except for my husband) they live with Gee, still.
Their kid's kid's don't work.

They are rich, lazy people - and have always been drug addicts - all of them, always.

While we were visiting my brothers in law were high - one on weed, the other on coke. My father in law doesn't travel because he can't bear to leave his weed at home (not medical, either).

But - have they EVER spent time in jail for any of their drug-use, possession and even selling?
NOPE
Because they *look* rich and live in a high-end neighborhood. :shrug:

People just assume that rich-looking people are decent, moral and avoid all wrongs.

Back
Top Bottom