• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BlackBerry CEO suggests route to eavesdropping

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
In a recent interview, RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said he could envision countries that want access to BlackBerry e-mails setting up a kind of national registry where companies doing business within their borders would have to provide government officials with the ability to peek at encrypted messages.
"We would support that if it's applied equitably to everyone," Balsillie said, while warning that governments that use too heavy of a hand on the issue risk scaring away businesses.
The issue comes up as a growing list of countries — including the U.S. — raise concerns that communications technology has outpaced the ability of authorities to eavesdrop.
The controversy drew wide public attention last month when the United Arab Emirates announced plans to block BlackBerry e-mail, messaging and Web browsing services. Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Indonesia and India are considering or planning similar steps.

Hmmm, looks like Android phones might be something Ill be looking to when I come due for upgrade. If BlackBerry wants to kiss up to Big Brother, let them Ill take my business elsewhere.

BlackBerry CEO suggests route to eavesdropping - Yahoo! News

Hmmm, looks like Android phones might be something Ill be looking to when I come due for upgrade. If BlackBerry wants to kiss up to Big Brother, let them Ill take my business elsewhere.

BlackBerry CEO suggests route to eavesdropping - Yahoo! News

The Android is more vunerable then the Blackberry on all accounts as Rim operates its own servers to handle email and is encrypted.

India, the Persian gulf arab states all want access to the encryption code and access to the emails sent on a blackberry, if they dont get it they are threatening to shut down Blackberry service

Back
Top Bottom