• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black Women & Domestic Violence

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Why are those elected by blacks not doing more to help defenseless black women?

Is it a cultural problem?

The numbers paint a grim picture

———-

The statistics on domestic violence in the United States are disturbing. 1 in 3 women and 1 in 10 men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. Each year, domestic violence is estimated to affect 10 million people in the United States.

Yet for Black women, the numbers are even more stark. More than 40% of Black women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime, according to the Institute of Women’s Policy Research’s Status of Black Women in the United States. In comparison, 31.5% of all women will experience domestic violence. A report from the National Center for Victims of Crime found that 53.8% of Black women had experienced psychological abuse, while 41.2% of Black women had experienced physical abuse.

More disturbingly, Black women are 2.5 times more likely to be murdered by men than white women.

———-

The statistics on domestic violence in the United States are disturbing. 1 in 3 women and 1 in 10 men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. Each year, domestic violence is estimated to affect 10 million people in the United States.

Yet for Black women, the numbers are even more stark. More than 40% of Black women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime, according to the Institute of Women’s Policy Research’s Status of Black Women in the United States. In comparison, 31.5% of all women will experience domestic violence. A report from the National Center for Victims of Crime found that 53.8% of Black women had experienced psychological abuse, while 41.2% of Black women had experienced physical abuse.

More disturbingly, Black women are 2.5 times more likely to be murdered by men than white women.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with our policing system...

But aren't the police called during or after the beating?

But aren't the police called during or after the beating?
It's not a question of whether or not the police are called, it's what happens afterward.

It's not a question of whether or not the police are called, it's what happens afterward.
I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the police were the problem causing the beatings.

Instead, in anticipation of how the police will react to the hypothetical beating makes a man decide he wants to beat his woman?

I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the police were the problem causing the beatings.

Instead, in anticipation of how the police will react to the hypothetical beating makes a man decide he wants to beat his woman?
That's above my pay grade, I have no idea.

———-

What you left off is who is committing that abuse? You asked if it was a cultural problem, I suspect it's more of a problem in some cultures than others.

Excellent articles on the unique issues facing black women dealing with abuse for anyone interested

How does policing relate to personal, domestic abuse? Would domestic abuse be mitigated with additional policing activities? Please .. explain

How does policing relate to personal, domestic abuse? Would domestic abuse be mitigated with additional policing activities? Please .. explain

"Despite the fact that Black women experience domestic violence at exceedingly high rates, they also are disproportionately more likely to be criminalized by the system when seeking help. Not only must they deal with racism and stereotypes when contacting police, but they also are routinely arrested when trying to defend themselves against an abusive partner.5

Link

I suspect that when you believe ths is due to their "culture," you are less likely to offer resources to stop it, helping it, in turn, to perpetuate.

"Despite the fact that Black women experience domestic violence at exceedingly high rates, they also are disproportionately more likely to be criminalized by the system when seeking help. Not only must they deal with racism and stereotypes when contacting police, but they also are routinely arrested when trying to defend themselves against an abusive partner.5

Link

I suspect that when you believe ths is due to their "culture," you are less likely to offer resources to stop it, helping it, in turn, to perpetuate.
Let me get this right ... black females are more likely to be abused domestically (shocker), and they are being arrested because of some outcome? What outcome is driving the "racism and stereotype" you're referencing? Please .. provide detail, as this is an interesting topic I'm waiting to hear about ...

Let me get this right ... black females are more likely to be abused domestically (shocker), and they are being arrested because of some outcome? What outcome is driving the "racism and stereotype" you're referencing? Please .. provide detail, as this is an interesting topic I'm waiting to hear about ...

If you follow the footnote it eventually takes you here:

5 Crenshaw, K. & Ritchie, A. J. (2015). Say her name: Resisting police brutality against Black women. African American Policy Forum, Center for Intersectionality and Social Policy Studies. Retrieved on September 23, 2015 from http://www.aapf.org/sayhernamereport/

This is Crenshaw.

If you follow the footnote it eventually takes you here:

5 Crenshaw, K. & Ritchie, A. J. (2015). Say her name: Resisting police brutality against Black women. African American Policy Forum, Center for Intersectionality and Social Policy Studies. Retrieved on September 23, 2015 from http://www.aapf.org/sayhernamereport/

This is Crenshaw.

Sorry .. not going to fall for that, as the number of african americans .. unarmed .. that died from police engagement was extremely minimal in 2021 / 2020. Be glad to provide those numbers (which is literally less than 20) when I get back home.

First. Do you agree that black families receive less when dealing with our current legal system than white families?

The willingness to report is tied to the end results of the investigation. Prosecuting the offender and protecting the family. I imagine if this was more equitable we see lower rates of abuse in the bipoc community.

First. Do you agree that black families receive less when dealing with our current legal system than white families?

The willingness to report is tied to the end results of the investigation. Prosecuting the offender and protecting the family. I imagine if this was more equitable we see lower rates of abuse in the bipoc community.
What am I agreeing to? What do you mean about "receiving less" compared across races?

Back
Top Bottom