• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black people in STEM

Andyh2299

National Mentor
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Does anyone know how difficult this career path for Black people and those of Black American descent. Do High schools in low income need neighborhoods even provide enough advanced classes for students once they go into college to get into the basic courses?

Does anyone know how difficult this career path for Black people and those of Black American descent. Do High schools in low income need neighborhoods even provide enough advanced classes for students once they go into college to get into the basic courses?
You don't need advanced science classes to get into college.

You don't need advanced science classes to get into college.
The courses are more difficult to get into since you need to know the math prereq

That’s a hard question to answer since HS course offerings vary considerably even between schools within the same school district.

The courses are more difficult to get into since you need to know the math prereq
All college prerequisites can be taken in college.

From what I have read, I would not have been able to get into STEM.

I am not intelligent enough.

The sciences scare me.

Regarding the students whom you mention in the OP, I think that it is fair to say that their schools do not prepare many of them for STEM.

Why is this so?

Well, many of them attend schools where many of the students are frequently absent and where many students carry knives or guns. Where just maintaining some kind of order is the No. 1 goal each day.

It is sad that those students who have the intelligence to do well in STEM never get the opportunity.

Hopefully, their parents can move closer to good public or private schools where their intelligent children can prosper.

I am asking about the ones in downtown Baltimore and Detroit

OK, then look their course offerings up, just as I did.

BTW, what race and political party do those elected officials running the city schools, which you chose to question, belong to?

It's like music. People good at STEM have a passion let alone an ability for it. Were not doing anyone a favor by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Even if you can train yourself into being an engineer, if you hate your job and you're not excited about it then you've just signed up for 40 years of misery.

Does anyone know how difficult this career path is for Black people and those of Black American descent? Do High schools in low income needs neighborhoods even provide enough advanced classes for students, once they go into college, to get into the basic courses?

I hear Composition 101 is a hard course, also.

🤷

Wow.

That’s a lot of racism packed into one post.
Yup, confirmed by the following.
I am asking about the ones in downtown Baltimore and Detroit

Does anyone know how difficult this career path is for Black people and those of Black American descent? Do High schools in low income needs neighborhoods even provide enough advanced classes for students, once they go into college, to get into the basic courses?

I hear Composition 101 is a hard course, also.

🤷

Just a suggestion.....but I think this is a misnomer

"in low income need neighborhoods" Is it low income neighborhoods or those who need lower income.

I think it is identified as low income, high need areas. "low income need" says they don't need high icome

Just trying to help

What is it that you are asking?

Many seem to assert that when black elected officials screw over black people or neighborhoods (just as white elected officials do) then their actions are (somehow) not racist.

I was on a "black" website a few months ago talking about science fiction making science interesting when I was a kid.

Someone responded with, "science fiction was written by White men".

Like I hadn't noticed that when I was 9 years old.

Of course all of the people writing SF in the 40s, 50s and 60s were racist white men, like Andre Norton and Leigh Brackett.

Sometimes I think the social pressure that black Americans put on each other to maintain the black American tunnel vision is worse than racism. I offered to pay some nieces and nephews to read a few books years ago and they refused.

Which is offered at college.
I did some entry Computer science and to get in the more advanced you need a math test. You can learn the math courses in College but you might need to stay longer than 4 years

Back
Top Bottom