• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black man kicked out of yogurt shop says police and store apologies aren't enough

buck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
An all female staff (2 workers) at a restaurant where a man is sitting in a corner by himself for 30 minutes. He doesn't want yogurt and he keeps looking at his phone then staring at another table (mother and adult son sitting). The staff have been robbed in the past and the bathrooms see frequent homeless drug use. Suspicious. Had the man been white, no issues with the staff calling the cops to ask the man to move along and we never would have even heard of the incident.

But this man is black, so of course.. It becomes a big incident. With the man that was asked to leave saying the only way he can feel safe is if the city takes the Hispanic male owner's (who was not even there at the time) license away and allows him (the victim) to take the license and ensures he has enough capital to purchase the yogurt shop and two other business the owner has.

I've told this story in the past. I've been asked to leave a business before, while I waited for a friend's dad to pick me up after my friend and I got stuck in a winter storm. So, this certainly is not uncommon.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bla...eep-foot-white-supremacys-neck-202514205.html

[FONT=&quot] “I think we need to make sure Ramon Cruz is unable to renew his business license here. And when the lease for this store is up, we need to make sure that Byron Ragland has the capital and resources to purchase this Menchie’s and the two other restaurants he owns in this community. That would be a good place to start. That would make me feel a little bit better. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After sitting at a Menchie’s table for 30 minutes, two police officers arrived. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“They asked me to leave,” Ragland told the newspaper. “They asked for my ID. They told me the manager had been watching me and wanted me to move along.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to an [/FONT]audio of the 911 call[FONT=&quot], Cruz, who was not in the store that day, received a phone call from his employees who were concerned about Ragland’s presence. “There is one guy who is sitting in the corner, hasn’t bought anything, he’s been sitting there for over 30 minutes,” Cruz told the dispatcher. “They’re kinda scared because he looks suspicious. He just keeps looking at the phone and looking at them.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cruz said that his all-female staff is “very cautious” due to past incidents involving robberies and homeless people shooting drugs in the restroom, and requested that police tell Ragland to “move along.” He also stated that Ragland was alone in the store.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Correct, if he were white they wouldn't have called the cops.

Correct, if he were white they wouldn't have called the cops.

You dont know that. I'm white and had the cops called on me to leave a convenience story before. So, try again.

If I sat in a restaurant and didn't order anything, I would expect a waiter or manager to eventually approach me and ask if there's anything I'd like to order. And if I said no, I'd expect them to politely (but firmly) inform me that they're a business for paying customers, and that if I don't order anything then I should go. What I would not expect is for them to call the cops on me as a first step. The notion that that would happen to me is crazypants.

Last edited:
If I sat in a restaurant and didn't order anything, I would expect a waiter or manager to eventually approach me and ask if there's anything I'd like to order. And if I said no, I'd expect them to politely (but firmly) inform me that they're a business for paying customers, and that if I don't order anything then I should go. What I would not expect is for them to call the cops on me. The notion that that would happen to me is crazypants.

you would be trespassing

If I sat in a restaurant and didn't order anything, I would expect a waiter or manager to eventually approach me and ask if there's anything I'd like to order. And if I said no, I'd expect them to politely (but firmly) inform me that they're a business for paying customers, and that if I don't order anything then I should go. What I would not expect is for them to call the cops on me. The notion that that would happen to me is crazypants.

Yup. I will admit, I found it odd that my friend and I were asked to leave by the cops showing up and not by the workers too. Still, it wouldn't make the news, because my friend and i were both white. It's not uncommon for white or black to be asked to leave businesses when not ordering or purchasing.

The item that caught my attention and why I really decided to post it, though, is that I found it interesting that the only way this guy could feel safe, is if they take the business away from the owner and give it to him.

Yup. I will admit, I found it odd that my friend and I were asked to leave by the cops showing up and not by the workers too. Still, it wouldn't make the news, because my friend and i were both white. It's not uncommon for white or black to be asked to leave businesses when not ordering or purchasing.

The item that caught my attention and why I really decided to post it, though, is that I found it interesting that the only way this guy could feel safe, is if they take the business away from the owner and give it to him.

So what was the reason you were booted?

Maybe the lack of emphasis on social skills? Call the cops and “we don’t have to deal with it?“

So what was the reason you were booted?

cops said the worker(s) were worried that we were up to no good. Had the worker(s) asked, we easily could have told him that our car broke down and we were just waiting for a ride from my friend's dad and didn't want to wait outside in the cold and snow. We told the cops that, but they still told us we had to wait outside. I didn't realize that meant we might be eligible to take the owner's business. Shrug.

Or that never actually happened.

or they can call the police because youd be trespassing.

They could do that. But that would be a rather hysterical and unreasonable escalation in light of the fact that I'm just sitting there. And of course the police would be curious why the manager felt that asking me to leave was an unreasonable first step. But if that's the sort of look that business wants to take on for itself then that's certainly their prerogative.

That could be... Except it did.

Yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test. At least certainly not with the information you provided.

They could do that. But that would be a rather hysterical and unreasonable escalation in light of the fact that I'm just sitting there. And of course the police would be curious why the manager felt that asking me to leave was an unreasonable first step. But if that's the sort of look that business wants to take on for itself then that's certainly their prerogative.

youre using your privilege to assume you can just sit in any establishment without facing the consequences. callin the police is the smart move to make because it negates having a potential violent conversation with a criminal.

youre using your privilege to assume you can just sit in any establishment without facing the consequences. callin the police is the smart move to make because it negates having a potential violent conversation with a criminal.

I think that's their choice. Of course, the police would still be curious what reason the business had for assuming me to be violent. And of course the business might risk the possibility that the police would consider the manager to be hysterical, and be less likely to prioritize their calls in the future.

And of course the business would risk looking hostile to patrons, with future patrons fearing that if they didn't order something quickly enough then the cops might be called on them too.

Again, this is all entirely the prerogative of the business. Speaking just for myself, I would never eat at a restaurant where the manager's first step was to call the police on someone just for sitting there.

I think that's their choice. Of course, the police would still be curious what reason the business had for assuming me to be violent. And of course the business might risk the possibility that the police would consider the manager to be hysterical, and be less likely to prioritize their calls in the future.

And of course the business would risk looking hostile to patrons, with future patrons fearing that if they didn't order something quickly enough then the cops might be called on them too.

Again, this is all entirely the prerogative of the business. Speaking just for myself, I would never eat at a restaurant whose first step was to call the police on somebody just sitting there.

i dont think the restaurant is concerned that you support trespassers. im sure they'll miss your business dearly...:lamo

i dont think the restaurant is concerned that you support trespassers. im sure they'll miss your business dearly...:lamo

Who said anything about supporting trespassers? I'm pretty sure I didn't say I support the right of people to trespass.

Who said anything about supporting trespassers? I'm pretty sure I didn't say I support the right of people to trespass.

so what are you whining about? someone was trespassing and the authorities were alerted. thats how crimes work...

so what are you whining about? someone was trespassing and the authorities were alerted. thats how crimes work...

I don't recall whining. Nobody called the cops on me just for sitting somewhere. Every time I go to a restaurant just to hang out because I'm waiting for something I order a cup of coffee. And if I didn't order something then my expectation is they'd ask me to leave. Calling the cops on me as a first course of action seems bizarre to me.

Wrong answer, I have had the cops called on me during a few situations similar to this.

What were the exact circumstances behind those incidents?

I don't recall whining. Nobody called the cops on me just for sitting somewhere. Every time I go to a restaurant just to hang out because I'm waiting for something I order a cup of coffee. And if I didn't order something then my expectation is they'd ask me to leave. Calling the cops on me as a first course of action seems bizarre to me.

excuse us for not believing your claims.

trespassers usually get the cops called on them. just because you claim it never happened to you lol (laugh out loud) doesnt mean anything.

you trespass, you get the police involved. its very simple.

and i know you dont recall whining. most alt left radicals think their whining is normal speech

excuse us for not believing your claims.

trespassers usually get the cops called on them. just because you claim it never happened to you lol (laugh out loud) doesnt mean anything.

you trespass, you get the police involved. its very simple.

If that's your experience and you're white then I can only assume there's something uniquely threatening or unhygenic about you or your behavior that separates my experiences from yours.

Back
Top Bottom