• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black man in Ohio trying to cash paycheck is handcuffed after bank teller calls 911

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...paycheck-handcuffed-after-bank-teller-n949986

The bank teller wrongly believed the man's paycheck was fraudulent. Reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.

An Ohio man trying to cash his paycheck from a new job was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car after a bank teller called 911 on the false belief the check was fraudulent.

Now the bank is apologizing as reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.
===========================================
#BankingWhileBlack - in Ohio. I think this might merit a lawsuit. Open discrimination in a 'northern' state.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...paycheck-handcuffed-after-bank-teller-n949986

The bank teller wrongly believed the man's paycheck was fraudulent. Reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.

An Ohio man trying to cash his paycheck from a new job was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car after a bank teller called 911 on the false belief the check was fraudulent.

Now the bank is apologizing as reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.
#BankingWhileBlack - in Ohio. I think this might merit a lawsuit. Open discrimination in a 'northern' state.
Where are you going with this, Lewis?

A nice big fat and punishing law suit.

Sue a bank. I believe it was Willy Sutton when asked why he robbed banks: 'That's where all the money is' or close to that.

McCowns was leaving, without having gotten his check cashed, when he was approached by police, told to get out of his car, handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser.

It turns out that as he was on his way out, a bank employee had called 911.

“He’s trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," the employee is heard telling the 911 operator in the recording obtained by NBC News.

“Does he know you called 9-1-1?” the operator asked.

The employee responded: “No.”

The police report said officers were able to get in touch with McCowns' employer who confirmed that his check was real.

The next day, McCowns cashed the check at another Huntington branch, the bank said.

A spokesman for Huntington Bank told NBC News on Wednesday that it sincerely apologizes to McCowns for "this extremely unfortunate event."

So a mistake was made by the bank. Nothing to do with race.... The police dept did their job as they should. A truly nothing story.
The bank made a mistake and they sincerely apologized for that mistake.

McCowns was leaving, without having gotten his check cashed, when he was approached by police, told to get out of his car, handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser.

“He’s trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," the employee is heard telling the 911 operator in the recording obtained by NBC News.

The police report said officers were able to get in touch with McCowns' employer who confirmed that his check was real.

The next day, McCowns cashed the check at another Huntington branch, the bank said.

A spokesman for Huntington Bank told NBC News on Wednesday that it sincerely apologizes to McCowns for "this extremely unfortunate event."

So a mistake was made by the bank. Nothing to do with race.... The police dept did their job as they should. A truly nothing story.

The only thing I can say is: huh?

An extra 500 bucks might be a nice way to apologize.

Why is this a story and why the new hashtag based on race?

Oh, that's right...anything done that can possibly be viewed as negative just because a black person happened to be involved MUST be because of race and racism...right? Pretty sure that the only ones that use the word "racist" or any of its other various spellings now a days are SJW's that think the word still has the same "punch" that it used to. Hate to break it to them but its been used inappropriately so much over the last 10 years that it has about as much bite to it as saying "hello".

Of course, nothing in that story indicates that race was any part of the reason for calling police about suspected check fraud.

Perhaps we need a #OverreactingAtWork for folks in any state who decide that calling 911 over suspected paperwork anomalies is logical.

Why is this a story and why the new hashtag based on race?

Oh, that's right...anything done that can possibly be viewed as negative just because a black person happened to be involved MUST be because of race and racism...right?

The USA had segregated school, fountains, restaurants, and lynched blacks for dating white women in my lifetime. Redlining, discrimination in the workplace, etc., have been common throughout my lifetime. Many of the people who were in favour of these policies are still alive today, and are gathered under the Trump banner.

And you act surprised that people think race had have had something to do with an incident like this? Honestly, you might want to spend some time learning the history of your own country, it would really help you understand incidents like this.

Pretty sure that the only ones that use the word "racist" or any of its other various spellings now a days are SJW's that think the word still has the same "punch" that it used to.

You see, this is where we differ. I consider Trump publicly supporting Neo Nazis and KKK members, saying some are "very fine people" was a bad thing. Judging by your posts, you think me standing against Neo Nazis and the KKK, and those who support them, makes me a "SJW", which you obviously consider a negative.

And maybe calling out people like Trump who support White Supremacists doesn't have the same "punch that it used to" in your social circles, but in my social circles, it's what is expected of any honourable person.

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with the bank refusing to cash the check until they could verify its validity. I don't take issue with the police being called because of a suspected fraudulent check.

I do take issue with the teller calling 9-1-1 for a none emergency situation.

In the early 90'S I was a teller our policy would of been to get a copy of his ID and check. Inform him we couldn't cash it until it was verified giving him the check back.. If we couldn't verify it by end of business we would call the police and turn over the information we had. There was always an uptick in fraudulent checks around the Holliday time and you are on the lookout for potential fraud more.

Sounds like a bank or two are about to have a training class in the near future.

The USA had segregated school, fountains, restaurants, and lynched blacks for dating white women in my lifetime. Many of the people who were in favour of these policies are still alive today, and are gathered under the Trump banner.

And you act surprised that people think race had have had something to do with an incident like this? Honestly, you might want to spend some time learning the history of your own country, it would really help you understand incidents like this.

Which makes you old. :shrug: What happened 60+ years ago does not reflect today's values or what actually happened in this instance. Facts > emotionalism and assumptions.

You see, this is where we differ. I consider Trump publicly supporting Neo Nazis and KKK members, saying some are "very fine people" was a bad thing. Judging by your posts, you think me standing against Neo Nazis and the KKK, and those who support them, makes me a "SJW", which you obviously consider a negative.

I guess we just have a different opinion about White Supremacists, and those like Trump who support them.

Except for the fact that Trump did not call Neo Nazi's and KKK members "very fine people". Context shows that. Context that many that spout what you just did like to ignore. Let me guess, you'll post a picture of the tiki torches again? Yes, I've seen you post it. You post it as an example of all the people that were at the rally where Ms. Heyer was killed at. Problem being of course that that picture was taken the night before and does not reflect every single person that was at the protest where Ms. Heyer was killed at. Something that is understood by many. So, unless you can prove that every single person at that rally that was held when Ms. Heyer was killed (which is the rally that Trump was talking about) was/is a Neo Nazi or KKK member then you are including every single person that objected to the removal of that statue yet do not have the same values as the KKK and Neo Nazi's that were there. Which is where those "very fine people" comment was directed at. People that were NOT and DO NOT support the KKK and Neo Nazi's racist point of views. Of course we both know that you cannot prove such. Its much easier however to believe that everyone at that rally WAS a member of either the KKK, or Neo Nazi's. That way you can rag on Trump more easily. Though it does show a decided lack of thought process.

KKK and Neo Nazi's actually number less than 1% of the total population of the US btw.

The bank made a rather big deal about the fact that he didn't return their phone calls to accept their apology. I wouldn't either; they could stuff that apology where the sun don't shine, especially after the public spectacle of being cuffed and thrown into a squad car.

Most black males have been harassed for incidents that never would have happened if they'd been, well, white. On the surface, this looks like one of them; not enough detail to determine one way or another.

There was no discrimination

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The USA had segregated school, fountains, restaurants, and lynched blacks for dating white women in my lifetime. Redlining, discrimination in the workplace, etc., have been common throughout my lifetime. Many of the people who were in favour of these policies are still alive today, and are gathered under the Trump banner.

Thats just a remarkably stupid thing to say. The history of our country had nothing to do with this incident. NOTHING. The man did not have an account at Huntington and came in to cash a check that they were unable to verify as real. So they refused to cash it and called the cops. It had zero to do with the mans race. ZERO. BUt along comes you to inject race and insert Trump into the story. Do you know the age or race or political affiliation of the teller involved? Of course you dont. The truth is, you dont know WTF you are talking about and are simply doing what you do with every post you type out--race bait.

And maybe calling out people like Trump who support White Supremacists doesn't have the same "punch that it used to" in your social circles, but in my social circles, it's what is expected of any honourable person.

:cuckoo:

The bank made a rather big deal about the fact that he didn't return their phone calls to accept their apology. I wouldn't either; they could stuff that apology where the sun don't shine, especially after the public spectacle of being cuffed and thrown into a squad car.

Most black males have been harassed for incidents that never would have happened if they'd been, well, white. On the surface, this looks like one of them; not enough detail to determine one way or another.

Had this man been white, how do you believe this incident would have played out?

This is a non-story that is trying to be made into one. The teller seems to be guilty of #WorkingWhileWhite

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Had this man been white, how do you believe this incident would have played out?

They would have cashed the damned check; they already had two I.D.s and his freakin' fingerprints! It's not like they didn't know who he was.

They would have cashed the damned check; they already had two I.D.s and his freakin' fingerprints! It's not like they didn't know who he was.

It doesn't appear that his identity was being questioned. It was the authenticity of the check that was being questioned. Without a picture it's hard to determine why it was questioned.

But calling 911 was the wrong way to handle it

Yeah this stuff is not new...

This guy spent an entire weekend in prison because the bank thought its own check was a fake.

Does that mean no bank employee in the US of A has ever called the police on a white guy when thinking a check was fraudulent?

Why does it matter? It did not happen to a white man.

Something tells me he will be having another, much larger check, to cash in the not too distant future. :)

Where are you going with this, Lewis?

I don't think it's terribly hard to work out. Is it?

The man provided two forms of ID and fingerprints. They refused to honor the request then called the police, anyway. Do get over the urge to go to bat to deny the potential existence of racial influence on an individual's behavior just the one time.....

Back
Top Bottom