• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black Lives Matter and Police Brutality[W:50]

Re: Black Lives Matter and Police Brutality

So many people who defend Zimmerman and officers who kill unarmed people just can't seem to escape identity politics, and I offer this post as an example. To many, it's a world of "criminals" and "innocents," "good guys" and "bad guys." Those identities are assigned based largely on perception and not necessarily tied to action. So strong is this identity perception that it can lead to excusing criminal acts for the "good guys" and justifying excessive punishment for the "bad guys." Thus, you admit cops are sometimes too quick to shoot, but you argue that is justifiable based on the cops representing a good archetype and black teens representing a "bad" archetype. That flawed perception gives the appearance of simple racism, but I suspect it's a more a failure of logic based on emotional reasoning.

There are career criminals, sure, and then there are people who commit illegal acts based on circumstance or compulsion, and then there are scared teenagers like Trayvon. Conflating those things is a giant failure of logic.

We need blind justice. As long as "good guys" can get with violent acts without consequence, Black Lives Matter will have a point.

I'll defend anyone that defends their own life from someone attacking them. :shrug: Trayvon attacked Zimmerman, that is a fact. Trayvon bashed Zimmerman's head into the ground. Something that can kill a person. Everyone has the right to defend their life. Has nothing to do with race like so many TM supporters like to portray.

As for defending cops killing unarmed people, it depends entirely on the situation. Something that BLM supporters like to ignore. They showed that when they put Michael Brown up as the poster boy for their movement. The "Hands up don't shoot!" was a lie and has been proven to be a lie where Brown is concerned. Yes, there are situations in which cops have wrongfully killed people and got away with it. Those I condemn whole heartedly. But the BLM needs to start focusing on valid instances of cops shooting INNOCENT people. (regardless if they're armed or not) and stop using people like Mike Brown as their poster boys.

Statistically speaking blacks have committed more crimes than whites for decades now. Why exactly that is I have no clue but imagine that it is a combination of many things from education, to racism, to both micro and macro culture.

"seems" and reality are not always the same thing. Most of the gun crime that happens in the US is due to criminal gang activity which is located in relatively few city areas of the US. You take out gang related gun crimes and the US has as much crime as any other first world country that has banned guns. Where I live the last time someone murdered someone was in September of 1996. And I can't even remember the last time someone was accidentally shot.

as far as I see most people are intentionally shot

as far as I see most people are intentionally shot

Would you mind expanding on this? What exactly are you referencing? Are you referencing just murders? Or homicide statistics which include both murders and defensive uses of guns? Are you taking into account all the people that use guns for defensive purposes but never once fired a shot? Are you taking into account non-fatal gun shots used for defensive purposes? Are you taking into account accidental shootings? Or are you just speaking generally?

In summary...What exactly are you talking about when saying "most people are intentionally shot"?

victims are usually blacks ,will you say blacks just commit more crimes than whites ? if you both agree with it and ignore how cops treat them is not right thing to do

LOL........you really are a special kind of naive, or just plain ignorant as to how things are.

I'll defend anyone that defends their own life from someone attacking them. :shrug: Trayvon attacked Zimmerman, that is a fact. Trayvon bashed Zimmerman's head into the ground. Something that can kill a person. Everyone has the right to defend their life. Has nothing to do with race like so many TM supporters like to portray.

As for defending cops killing unarmed people, it depends entirely on the situation. Something that BLM supporters like to ignore. They showed that when they put Michael Brown up as the poster boy for their movement. The "Hands up don't shoot!" was a lie and has been proven to be a lie where Brown is concerned. Yes, there are situations in which cops have wrongfully killed people and got away with it. Those I condemn whole heartedly. But the BLM needs to start focusing on valid instances of cops shooting INNOCENT people. (regardless if they're armed or not) and stop using people like Mike Brown as their poster boys.

The only people still touting Michael Brown as the poster boy of BLM are opponents who feel Brown discredits the movement. There are many more names: Tamir Rice, John Crawford, Eric Garner, Freddy Gray famous among them.

And the Trayvon case has a lot to do with race: Zimmerman followed Trayvon because he resembled an archetype of a young, black criminal. Trayvon had the right to defend himself and his family from what he perceived as a threat, and there's plenty of evidence to support that he confronted Zimmerman out of concern for his own safety.

Tamir Rice and John Crawford are even better examples, as they certainly satisfy your standard of "innocent." Neither of them represented an actual, real-world threat. Perceptions of race and identity politics certainly played a role in them being wrongly profiled as threats and then in the lack of accountability for the errors in judgment that led to their deaths.

There are many more anecdotal examples to support BLM's notion that black people's lives aren't valued as highly in the U.S. legal system.

Would you mind expanding on this? What exactly are you referencing? Are you referencing just murders? Or homicide statistics which include both murders and defensive uses of guns? Are you taking into account all the people that use guns for defensive purposes but never once fired a shot? Are you taking into account non-fatal gun shots used for defensive purposes? Are you taking into account accidental shootings? Or are you just speaking generally?

In summary...What exactly are you talking about when saying "most people are intentionally shot"?

It was both apparent and a general statement . People kill each other accidentally ? I don't think so ,they usually want to shoot either in self defense or not.

LOL........you really are a special kind of naive, or just plain ignorant as to how things are.

I am really special ,thanks

It was both apparent and a general statement . People kill each other accidentally ? I don't think so ,they usually want to shoot either in self defense or not.

Yep, blacks shoot a whole lot of people, more than anyone else in America, mostly other blacks, intentionally indeed..

Yep, blacks shoot a whole lot of people, more than anyone else in America, mostly other blacks, intentionally indeed..

their hate crime comes from your hate

as long as I dont support Trump

I understand why you don't support Trump..

their hate crime comes from your hate

So black on black crime is hate crime? Blacks are racist against blacks?

So black on black crime is hate crime? Blacks are racist against blacks?

more than this! they sold their people to whites so whites were as innocent as jesus!

I understand why you don't support Trump..
because I am an inferior muslim according to you

more than this! they sold their people to whitesiso whites were as innocent as jesus!

What?

because I am an inferior muslim according to you

You are obviously pretty smart, it's just too bad you are brainwashed..

as I said before I think there is a language barrier that prevents you from understanding simple sentences

as I said before I think there is a language barrier that prevents you from understanding simple sentences

Excuse me, your writing is obviously inferior to mine.. Take a look..

The only people still touting Michael Brown as the poster boy of BLM are opponents who feel Brown discredits the movement. There are many more names: Tamir Rice, John Crawford, Eric Garner, Freddy Gray famous among them.

I still see people using Brown in their support of BLM. When I stop seeing that then I'll stop referencing it. :shrug:

And the Trayvon case has a lot to do with race: Zimmerman followed Trayvon because he resembled an archetype of a young, black criminal. Trayvon had the right to defend himself and his family from what he perceived as a threat, and there's plenty of evidence to support that he confronted Zimmerman out of concern for his own safety.

No, it is your assumption that Z followed T due to race. No doubt based on the edited version that the news media used of the 911 call that Z made.

As for whether T "confronted" Z out of concern for his safety is not relevant. What is relevant is the fact that T attacked Z. Confronting someone out of a concern for safety does not give you the excuse to attack that someone. The only excuse to attack someone is when you yourself are being attacked.

Tamir Rice and John Crawford are even better examples, as they certainly satisfy your standard of "innocent." Neither of them represented an actual, real-world threat. Perceptions of race and identity politics certainly played a role in them being wrongly profiled as threats and then in the lack of accountability for the errors in judgment that led to their deaths.

There are many more anecdotal examples to support BLM's notion that black people's lives aren't valued as highly in the U.S. legal system.

Like I already stated, I'm all for prosecuting police that abuse their authority and commit crimes. Neither Tamir Rice or John Crawford are good examples of what the BLM is supposedly about.

Tamir Rice was shot because he was pointing what looked to be like a real gun at people. The fact that it was "probably" a toy was not relayed to the police on the scene by the dispatcher. This is not an example of race perception. But of gun perception. The flaw was in the fact that the dispatcher failed to relay all relevant information that they were receiving from the caller. That failure led to the death of Rice. So the appropriate place to lay the blame is not on the cops that shot Rice, but on the dispatcher. The dispatcher should be prosecuted for negligence leading to a death at most, fired from their job at least.

John Crawford was the guy that was shot in Wal-Mart while holding a BB gun. The flaw in that particular situation had to do with the caller that phoned into 911 relaying false information. That caller should be the one to be prosecuted. Cops were given information that led them to believe that there was immediate danger and reacted based on that information. As far as the cops are concerned, their decision was not based on racial perception, but on the perception of the caller, which may or may not have been racial in origin, though I think it more than likely was.

And yes, there are many more anecdotal examples to support BLM's notion. I do not deny that. But they need to stop going at this using wrong examples.

You are obviously pretty smart, it's just too bad you are brainwashed..

thanks but adults are not brainwashed if they are really smart ,it is done when they are too little to develop the comprehension skills .I was not a true muslim as a child.I was different one.

Moderator's Warning:
Lets stop using the one liners and personal attacks folks. Stick to the topic and ONLY the topic.

Back
Top Bottom