• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black Is Beautiful

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Today is BLACK CAT APPRECIATION DAY and on behalf of my black cat Mr. PuTan Bare Scherezade, I send greetings to all of my fellow black cat owners and servants.

PUBAREALONE.jpg

Unable to translate. I tried sounding it out.

Pooh - Tahhn. WTF? We were in a Korean restaurant in Concord CA and we had some seafood pancakes. I asked the waitress what they were called and we thought she said (POOH-TAHN) so when we found the little dude in a parking lot in Guerneville taking charge of his 2 sisters and his momma run over, we named him that. Later we found out there was no such word. The "bare" (sic) is from my nudist days and Scherezade, well, we think he has a lot of stories to tell. He was about 4 months old when we found him and he celebrated his 14th birthday in May which basically makes him an old man, just like moi.

We usually just call him Poo-Bare. But he can be very formal sometimes.

I may have had a black cat as a pet when I was in grad school. It is hard to say. It just showed up at my door the day I moved in, came by every day or two. When it wanted in, it just barged in, hung out as long as it wanted and left. When it wanted milk it would go meow at the fridge. When I left for summers, it always showed back up when I returned. I am pretty sure it died though. It started looking really really sick the last year and became more sporadic a visitor and then just stopped showing up. It wouldn't let me pick him up or pet him so I couldn't take it to a vet or anything, but he (I assume it was a he) otherwise just did whatever it wanted. I assume the previous tenants must have befriended it.

I have a male black cat name Surr Purr who lives up to his name. I also have a female black cat that my wife named Haberdasher for two reasons. She, the cat, collects all the buttons and thread in house and makes toys to play with, and she dashes around like a nutblade.

Last edited:
I may have had a black cat as a pet when I was in grad school. It is hard to say. It just showed up at my door the day I moved in, came by every day or two. When it wanted in, it just barged in, hung out as long as it wanted and left. When it wanted milk it would go meow at the fridge. When I left for summers, it always showed back up when I returned. I am pretty sure it died though. It started looking really really sick the last year and became more sporadic a visitor and then just stopped showing up. It wouldn't let me pick him up or pet him so I couldn't take it to a vet or anything, but he (I assume it was a he) otherwise just did whatever it wanted. I assume the previous tenants must have befriended it.

How rude! :lol:

How rude! :lol:

I went to school up north. When there was snow on the ground, we usually argued about who was sleeping on the bed and who was sleeping on the sofa. It usually won the flip for the bed. In a way I am glad it disappeared as i was fretting what to do about it when I graduated. I figured a cat that wouldn't let me pick it up or pet it wouldn't have been good company on the long drive down the east coast. It would rub up against my legs a lot, but it just did not want to be handled. I, of course, fed it other things, like I let it eat the Doritos off the floor :)

I went to school up north. When there was snow on the ground, we usually argued about who was sleeping on the bed and who was sleeping on the sofa. It usually won the flip for the bed. In a way I am glad it disappeared as i was fretting what to do about it when I graduated. I figured a cat that wouldn't let me pick it up or pet it wouldn't have been good company on the long drive down the east coast. It would rub up against my legs a lot, but it just did not want to be handled. I, of course, fed it other things, like I let it eat the Doritos off the floor :)

:lamo I've had some cats that were stand-offish, but never quite that bad. I used to have a cat that rub up against your legs and then would hiss as some kind of greeting. I think he was confused or something.

You never know. PuTan being feral in his early kittenhood certainly had its effect on him and he was a very anxious cat for a long time. OTOH, he is a master traveler and he and I drove thousands of miles together before we settled down to our dotage. My other 2 cats who have known nothing but love their entire lives freak out when they have to get in the car to go to the Vet.

No two cats are alike.
PUBARE LOOKING ATCHA.jpg

(He's shaved cause The Dude has some seriously long hair. He loves it and prances for days after he gets a haircut and admires himself in the mirror.)

what a cute little black kitty. Here, kitty, kitty. Would you like some tuna?

black_jaguar_by_country67-d31h6rk.jpg

Today is BLACK CAT APPRECIATION DAY and on behalf of my black cat Mr. PuTan Bare Scherezade, I send greetings to all of my fellow black cat owners and servants.

Here's a picture of my black cat:

45208_421359066786_8198544_n.jpg

Don't say he looks like a... (D...O...G...), he's very sensitive about his looks.

DSC_0021.jpg

In memory of Spider, one of our two cats who we sadly had to rehome when our daughter was 6 months old. She proved highly allergic to the cats but 3 years later when she sees a black cat she calls him Spider or if she sees a white & tortoiseshell cat she calls him "Bramble."

Sadly we are now a pet (cat) free home.

Hoover, as in the vacuum. No dish of food is safe around him.
Of course, he has several other names, most of which would get ****'ed, :lol:

Hoover.jpg

What is it about cat people that makes them give their cats such long ridiculous names? You never really see people do that with dogs.

I've named plenty of my cats silly names. :lol: Badooba for one.

Here's a picture of my black cat:

45208_421359066786_8198544_n.jpg

Don't say he looks like a... (D...O...G...), he's very sensitive about his looks.

What a cute little kitty! :lol:

I've named plenty of my cats silly names. :lol: Badooba for one.

That's exactly my point. Nearly everyone who owns cats or has in the past has given at least one of them some weird name.

When my mom and dad were first married, my mom had a cat named Leukocyte J. Turdball.

That's exactly my point. Nearly everyone who owns cats or has in the past has given at least one of them some weird name.

When my mom and dad were first married, my mom had a cat named Leukocyte J. Turdball.
Cats don't respond to their names anyway, so we can get as crazy as we want when naming them. My cat, may he rest in peace, earned the name Loki as an onry little kitten. My sister's cat is named Nomoratz, reflecting her hopes for him after he brought in a hunting trophy. I named one cat "Big Shot" after he hissed ferociously at a German Shepherd approximately 100 times his size. It's an art finding appropriate names for cat.

This is (technically) my niece's cat, Cupcake. My niece cannot have cats where she lives due to her dogs, so I have been caring for Cupcake for the last two years.

cupcake.jpg

Cats don't respond to their names anyway, so we can get as crazy as we want when naming them. My cat, may he rest in peace, earned the name Loki as an onry little kitten. My sister's cat is named Nomoratz, reflecting her hopes for him after he brought in a hunting trophy. I named one cat "Big Shot" after he hissed ferociously at a German Shepherd approximately 100 times his size. It's an art finding appropriate names for cat.

Heya DH. :2wave: I don't know if that is true.....my cat responds to her name. I can literally call her over or call for in the house and she will come out to wherever I am at. She comes Right over to me.

Now our other cat.....which is an all Black Bombay. You could call her name for days and she would just sit there and look at ya. Then go back to sleep. She only comes round when she wants attention. Not when we want to give it to her.

Back
Top Bottom