• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black Group Forms To Protect Statues

I agree. If the left was so against hate, why don't they dismantle their party which was born from hate, slavery, racism, Jim Crow, etc.? Instead they pursue statues? Memorials? Has the leftists come out and disavowed their hate against people that disagree with them? I don't think so.

one of the most bull crappiest posts ever

one of the most bull crappiest posts ever

Of course it is, because it is an opinion different than yours. We can't have that. Well, excuse me.
Some of us are not willing to tolerate the rabid hysterical and fascist mobs who dare to destroy monuments. Where will it end? What if everyone starts taking down statues and street signs and names? Is that ok?
Lee, Washington, Jefferson, all those people lived in another era, and we need to remind ourselves how far we have come since those days. Haters aren't just the white supremacists but also those who can't stand freedom of speech and provoke those who assemble to voice their opinion. What do the counter protest mobs expect when they yell and scream at otherwise peaceful protesters? They have no intention other than provocation and inciting violence, and that is not ok with me.
Haters provoke, haters bully... haters on both sides. Peaceful people seek solutions.

Of course it is, because it is an opinion different than yours. We can't have that. Well, excuse me.
Some of us are not willing to tolerate the rabid hysterical and fascist mobs who dare to destroy monuments. Where will it end? What if everyone starts taking down statues and street signs and names? Is that ok?...

Peaceful people seek solutions.

Lovebug,

I am beginning to see where the left is correct. These various statues, monuments, memorials, etc. ought to be removed from public. Either by all out removal, destruction, put up for sale, or donated away to private ownership, sold for scrap metal, whatever. But why should we stop there? All public thoroughfares, place names, schools, public buildings, political parties, everything should be gotten rid of. Anything ever connected to racism, slavery, bigotry etc. we must atone for our horrible past.

You might have had a point if I actually defended statues of murderous communists...

:shrug: your defense (or lack thereof) is immaterial to the point that we do. That's all :).

Lovebug,

I am beginning to see where the left is correct. These various statues, monuments, memorials, etc. ought to be removed from public. Either by all out removal, destruction, put up for sale, or donated away to private ownership, sold for scrap metal, whatever. But why should we stop there? All public thoroughfares, place names, schools, public buildings, political parties, everything should be gotten rid of. Anything ever connected to racism, slavery, bigotry etc. we must atone for our horrible past.

The Federal Government allowed for slavery.

The Federal Government must therefore be stripped down to as little as barely necessary.

We wouldn't want to celebrate a monument to slavery.

:shrug: your defense (or lack thereof) is immaterial to the point that we do. That's all :).

And many of them have been taken down. Do you think that is the right thing to do, or do you think that 'dishonors' history?

And many of them have been taken down. Do you think that is the right thing to do, or do you think that 'dishonors' history?
:shrug: I think the entire debate is wrong - in either direction, it is a matter Entirely for locals to decide.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

When I said 'we' I meant the world in general. Should the Allies and Germans kept the Nazi statues standing? Should the Ukrainians have kept the Stalin/Lenin statues standing?

the concentration camps still stand in poland. in fact they are a big tourist spot. People want to see and remember.

:shrug: I think the entire debate is wrong - in either direction, it is a matter Entirely for locals to decide.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I agree, it is a matter for locals to decide, and Charlottesville had white supremacist protesters coming in as far as Canada to march against their removal.

the concentration camps still stand in poland. in fact they are a big tourist spot. People want to see and remember.

And they should still stand. They are there to educate about the horrors of Nazism and genocide, not to glorify it. The Confederate statues are there to glorify slavery and white supremacy.

I support your gist, but where will it stop?

Some on the right are trying to bring up a false equivalency to the Confederate statues and monuments to the Founders. Monuments to Washington and Jefferson are not there to glorify the fact that they were slave owners, they are there to glorify the fact that they helped found this nation connected to Enlightenment ideals. The purpose of the Confederate statues is to glorify white supremacy and slavery. That is a very clear line in the sand.

They'll be race traitors. Liberals can't stand it when black folks leave the plantation.

Can't believe anyone trying to make a defensible argument for bringing the statues down, it's just a ridiculous stance!
Listening to late night radio polls show overwhelming support for keeping them where they stand. What surprised me
was that blacks supported keeping the monuments in place 44% to 40% taking them down while 16% had no
opinion. The only group that wanted them eliminated were liberals 57% to 41%. Overall 66% are in the remain group.

That leads me to believe that the only group 'hoping mad' about this new 'cause celebre" are the progressive liberals
pretending they are siding with the blacks sensitivity on this one. While the majority of blacks feel they should
leave well enough alone!

Some on the right are trying to bring up a false equivalency to the Confederate statues and monuments to the Founders. Monuments to Washington and Jefferson are not there to glorify the fact that they were slave owners, they are there to glorify the fact that they helped found this nation connected to Enlightenment ideals. The purpose of the Confederate statues is to glorify white supremacy and slavery. That is a very clear line in the sand.

So clear that Rev Al Sharpton is clamoring for eliminating Chicago's Washington & Jefferson statues there because they were
slave owners.

Lovebug,

We can't begin a conversation by violently destroying public property.
We can't begin healing by silencing those with whom we disagree. We have to listen to each other and work things out for all. Of course we can't make everyone happy, and that is why we have compromise.
Those who want to silence others because of their beliefs, the radicals, the violent protesters who don't want to let anyone but themselves speak, and destroy at will, are our enemy and they are taking us down a very dangerous path.

So clear that Rev Al Sharpton is clamoring for eliminating Chicago's Washington & Jefferson statues there because they were
slave owners.

Al Sharpton is an attention whore and a moron.

No one's 'frightened' of any statue of Lee. Unlike you, however, most people don't try and rationalize honoring treason and traitors.

It's quite a simple matter.

The government against which he fought has honored Robert E. Lee on at least five
postage stamps. Stonewall Jackson has also been memorialized on US stamps.
Some politically correct liberals may consider Confederate Generals like Lee as traitors
but it is obvious the U.S. government does not.

When did you decide that these memorials to Lee & Jackson & Forrest & Wheeler
must be taken down. A week ago, a year ago, 10 years ago. Most of the Lee Monuments
have been up for a century.

Dwight Eisenhower from Kansas a terrific General & President when decorating the Oval Office
to suit himself had placed in the prominent position a portrait of Robert E. Lee. My guess
is that Ike did not view Lee as a traitor but considered Lee a great leader of men as he was.

Seems to me even confederate haters like you could be a little more charitable in an assessment of this fine leader of soldiers. No other general
in Lee's position could have been expected to win, The success he had was astonishing.

From Michael Shaara Pulitzer Prize winning novel The Killer Angels

'It is an army of 70,000 men of remarkable unity. Though there are many men who cannot read or write they all spoke English.
They share common customs & a common faith & have been consistantly victorious against superior numbers. They have as
solid a faith in their leader as any army that ever marched. He is the most beloved man in either army. He marches north
knowing that a letter has been prepared by Jefferson Davis which offers peace. It is to be placed on the desk of Lincoln the day
after Lee has destroyed the Army of the Potomac somewhere north of Washington.’

Back
Top Bottom