• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black couple sues after they say home valuation rises nearly $300,000 when shown by White colleague

my understanding from reading this thread is that the plaintiff/home owners were claiming the initial appraisal was erroneously low and that the error was due to the racial bias of the appraiser
if that is a valid assessment, then racism was THE allegation of the black homeowners against the appraiser, his/her employer, and the lender which refused to make a requested loan in the amount being sought, due to the appraisal's established fair market value
so, allow me to ask, if that appraisal was found to be flawed for another reason, other than racial bias, what was that other reason?
As I understand the language of the lawsuit, the discrepancy was completely outside the variances one could reasonably expect from different appraisals for the same property.

I'm sure the list of things we agree on that having nothing to do with this topic is quite long. By the way, I think the Holocaust was bad. Agree or disagree?
Holly hell, is it possible we agree on two things in the same day?

Holly hell, is it possible we agree on two things in the same day?
The day is still young. We may end up agreeing on three things by midnight.

Systemic racism, which is another name for institutional racism, refers to racism embedded in laws and similar institutions. But the appraiser is not a part of that, he is just some civilian. Therefore, this isn't a case of systemic racism. Just regular racism.

I am not saying the black couple didn't get screwed. However the stuff they did, just to "catch" racists seems slightly creepy to me. I mean first they removed their photo and then made the effort to find a white colleague. Creepy. And I wonder if they also told that white colleague what they were trying to do.

This has been a reported trend this past year, at least. Every month or so, there would be an example of the same. Why not investigate and expose it if it's true?

Correct. And it's because exposing racism isn't that important to me. I don't spend lots of time thinking about it.

Wow, sure, "the marginalization of a substantial minority in the country doesnt affect me, so who cares?"

That they could have gotten ripped of for $300,000? "Not my problem. Let me know if it's a trend for white couples."

The point here is..."someone" cared enough to do something about it to right a wrong. And you dismiss it as 'trickery.' :rolleyes:

And I don't mean that I have actual methods to expose racism. I said that to emphasize the point that trickery is not the only way.

But you cant think of any that dont involve trickery? :rolleyes:

Reactions: AJG
Wow, sure, "the marginalization of a substantial minority in the country doesnt affect me, so who cares?"

That they could have gotten ripped of for $300,000? "Not my problem. Let me know if it's a trend for white couples."

The point here is..."someone" cared enough to do something about it to right a wrong. And you dismiss it as 'trickery.' :rolleyes:

your conclusion compels the belief that the second, higher appraisal was an accurate representation of fair market value
if it was not, then would the attempt to pass off the initial appraiser's process as racially biased not be misrepresentative?

your conclusion compels the belief that the second, higher appraisal was an accurate representation of fair market value
if it was not, then would the attempt to pass off the initial appraiser's process as racially biased not be misrepresentative?

I'm not specifically commenting on the results...only that similar things have been reported in the past yr or so and IMO this would be a valid means of discovering an example.

It's like I said, just because I am not as outraged about racism as some might be, it doesn't mean I am a monster.

I bet there are also a lot of injustices that you don't feel outraged about, but it would be unfair of me to hold that against you.
First of all, I never said I only care about white people. Stop mischaracterizing my posts. Secondly, you have yet to prove that the appraiser was acting out of racism. Furthermore, even if I only want to care about white people, that's my prerogative. If you don't like it, care extra hard about black people to make up for it.

In order to right a wrong, first there has to be a wrong. So far, nobody has proven that there was racism definitively. Secondly, yes it indeed was trickery. Trickery that was very creepy, to boot.

Why would I need to? I don't need to know of any above board, honest methods in order to know that having to resort to trickery is morally questionable. It also calls the crime-solving abilities of the police/feds...etc into question.

Why do you defend the use of trickery anyway?

Admittedly, I got caught up with the celebrity of the whole thing, like the posters here. We're talking about an individual house owned by 2 Blacks, and basically arguing whether it is or is not worthy of being in a "white" neighborhood.

It's like I said, just because I am not as outraged about racism as some might be, it doesn't mean I am a monster.

I bet there are also a lot of injustices that you don't feel outraged about, but it would be unfair of me to hold that against you.

First of all, I never said I only care about white people. Stop mischaracterizing my posts. Secondly, you have yet to prove that the appraiser was acting out of racism. Furthermore, even if I only want to care about white people, that's my prerogative. If you don't like it, care extra hard about black people to make up for it.

In order to right a wrong, first there has to be a wrong. So far, nobody has proven that there was racism definitively. Secondly, yes it indeed was trickery. Trickery that was very creepy, to boot.

Why would I need to? I don't need to know of any above board, honest methods in order to know that having to resort to trickery is morally questionable. It also calls the crime-solving abilities of the police/feds...etc into question.

Why do you defend the use of trickery anyway?

*yawn* I've read the entire thread at this point. My post was only reinforced, no matter what you wrote here.

And you didnt even realize that I answered your final question at least twice in the thread :rolleyes:

We're done 🤷

*yawn* I've read the entire thread at this point. My post was only reinforced, no matter what you wrote here.

And you didnt even realize that I answered your final question at least twice in the thread :rolleyes:

We're done 🤷
Its ok that you have no response.

Back
Top Bottom