• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black America's Real Problem Isn't White Racism

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Pat Buchanan
7/19/2013

When Holder delivered his 2009 "nation-of-cowards" speech blaming racism for racial separation, Manhattan Institute's Heather Mac Donald suggested that our attorney general study his crime statistics.

In New York from January to June 2008, 83 percent of all gun assailants were black, according to witnesses and victims, though blacks were only 24 percent of the population. Blacks and Hispanics together accounted for 98 percent of all gun assailants. Forty-nine of every 50 muggings and murders in the Big Apple were the work of black or Hispanic criminals.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly confirms Mac Donald's facts. Blacks and Hispanics commit 96 percent of all crimes in the city, he says, but only 85 percent of the stop-and-frisks are of blacks and Hispanics. And these may involve the kind of pat-downs all of us have had at the airport. Is stop-and-frisk the work of racist cops in New York, where the crime rate has been driven down to levels unseen in decades?

According to Kelly, a majority of his police force, which he has been able to cut from 41,000 officers to 35,000, is now made up of minorities.

But blacks are also, per capita, the principal victims of crime. Would black fathers prefer their sons to grow up in Chicago, rather than low-crime New York City, with its stop-and-frisk policy? Fernando Mateo, head of the New York taxicab union, urges his drivers to profile blacks and Hispanics for their own safety: "The God's honest truth is that 99 percent of the people that are robbing, stealing, killing these drivers are blacks and Hispanics."

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Black America's Real Problem Isn't White Racism | RealClearPolitics

I don't usually agree with Mr. Buchanan, this time he does have a point.

The system (dominated by white males) still has some racism that needs to be fixed. E.g. resumes with "black" names get fewer calls.

Black-on-black violence is a symptom, not necessarily the direct problem. The problem is, people who grow up in poor/bad neighborhoods can't easily get out of it and make something of themselves. Especially once they have a criminal record, the only way to earn a decent living is outside of the law, because employers don't typically like to hire people with criminal records. Felonies haunt you forever and make it virtually impossible to compete in the "white man's world." I think that's wrong and needs to change. If a person has served their time, they've repaid their debt to society and should be given a fair chance to compete with everyone else. That, to me, is black America's real problem that needs to be solved. And it's on white America to act on it.

By Pat Buchanan
7/19/2013

When Holder delivered his 2009 "nation-of-cowards" speech blaming racism for racial separation, Manhattan Institute's Heather Mac Donald suggested that our attorney general study his crime statistics.

In New York from January to June 2008, 83 percent of all gun assailants were black, according to witnesses and victims, though blacks were only 24 percent of the population. Blacks and Hispanics together accounted for 98 percent of all gun assailants. Forty-nine of every 50 muggings and murders in the Big Apple were the work of black or Hispanic criminals.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly confirms Mac Donald's facts. Blacks and Hispanics commit 96 percent of all crimes in the city, he says, but only 85 percent of the stop-and-frisks are of blacks and Hispanics. And these may involve the kind of pat-downs all of us have had at the airport. Is stop-and-frisk the work of racist cops in New York, where the crime rate has been driven down to levels unseen in decades?

According to Kelly, a majority of his police force, which he has been able to cut from 41,000 officers to 35,000, is now made up of minorities.

But blacks are also, per capita, the principal victims of crime. Would black fathers prefer their sons to grow up in Chicago, rather than low-crime New York City, with its stop-and-frisk policy? Fernando Mateo, head of the New York taxicab union, urges his drivers to profile blacks and Hispanics for their own safety: "The God's honest truth is that 99 percent of the people that are robbing, stealing, killing these drivers are blacks and Hispanics."

(Excerpt)

Read more:

How does a cab driver "profile"? It seems to me that, as a cab driver, you have but two choices, respond to the hail/call or leave the potential fare standing on the street. While I do not doubt your statistics presented, you failed to present the statistic of what percentage of the total black, hispanic or white people have been convicted of violent felonies. Leaving blacks and hispanics to stand on the street while you look for white fares is indeed (illegal?) racial discrimination - why are cab drivers more "correct" than any other service provider to "profile" their customers by race/ethnicity?

This "profiling" is also used, by many, as justification for killing all snakes seen, even though only 4 US varieties (rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins and coral snakes) are venomous out of hundreds of US varieties of non-venomous snakes. You are 6 times more likely to die from a dog attack than from a snake bite/attack, yet we have laws protecting "at large" dogs from being "profiled" and killed.

I have my own ideas as to what I see is the problem.. or problems.

but dayum, folks telling black folks what their "real " problems are is mighty insulting... they don't need to be told what their problems are, most are well aware.

The system (dominated by white males) still has some racism that needs to be fixed. E.g. resumes with "black" names get fewer calls.

Black-on-black violence is a symptom, not necessarily the direct problem. The problem is, people who grow up in poor/bad neighborhoods can't easily get out of it and make something of themselves. Especially once they have a criminal record, the only way to earn a decent living is outside of the law, because employers don't typically like to hire people with criminal records. Felonies haunt you forever and make it virtually impossible to compete in the "white man's world." I think that's wrong and needs to change. If a person has served their time, they've repaid their debt to society and should be given a fair chance to compete with everyone else. That, to me, is black America's real problem that needs to be solved. And it's on white America to act on it.

Are you kidding me? Black on black violence is caused by white folks that would rather not hire black felons? That is simply insane. Since you know that felonies make for bad resumes then simply don't commit them, possibly urgng "black leaders" to pass this "secret" along to their many followers. Meanwhile explain how "whitey" made the out of wedlock birthrate for blacks rise to 73% - that alone makes it much more likely for black kids to opt for a life of crime. Poor folks have existed for all of history and none have bettered themselves by choosing a (brief?) life of crime by preying on each other.

The simple fact that 50 percent of the violent crime in the U.S. is committed by a group that comprises only 13 percent of the population.....

That's just astonishing.

The number one problem in the black community is that 3/4 of their children are born without a father anywhere in the picture. Until that changes, it will only get worse.

Look at the racial disparity of SAT scores today. It's dumbfounding how stark of a contrast there is, and there is no need for it. But Sharpton and Jesse continue to tell them their problems are not of their own making, and they keep drinking it up like Kool-aid on a hot day in Jonestown, Guyana.

Are you kidding me? Black on black violence is caused by white folks that would rather not hire black felons? That is simply insane. Since you know that felonies make for bad resumes then simply don't commit them, possibly urgng "black leaders" to pass this "secret" along to their many followers. Meanwhile explain how "whitey" made the out of wedlock birthrate for blacks rise to 73% - that alone makes it much more likely for black kids to opt for a life of crime. Poor folks have existed for all of history and none have bettered themselves by choosing a (brief?) life of crime by preying on each other.
Street crimes are predominately committed by poor people. Black people are disproportionately poor today because of segregation yesterday. It's only been one generation since the Civil Rights movement, and two since the Jim Crow laws. The effects of our previous dismal and embarrassing policies don't just disappear overnight.

Now it's a vicious cycle - born & raised in extreme poverty, crappy education system, crappy prospects for a good life, etc. Street crimes and fear of police are a way of life. Before they're old enough to realize it, they've already screwed themselves with a criminal record that's going to keep them down indefinitely. It takes an above-and-beyond individual to break free from that, and most people are not above-and-beyond. So they get stuck in the same cycle, year after year. Part of what keeps them in that cycle is the fact that a criminal record means they don't have a fair chance to move beyond their past mistakes and make a good living for themselves within the law. So I think the thing that would help most is for a criminal record to not be such a barrier into a decent job/living. If they served their debt to society, then it shouldn't be held against them anymore. That's how "whitey" could contribute toward helping to end the cycle of poverty and violence in black communities.

Street crimes are predominately committed by poor people. Black people are disproportionately poor today because of segregation yesterday. It's only been one generation since the Civil Rights movement, and two since the Jim Crow laws. The effects of our previous dismal and embarrassing policies don't just disappear overnight.

Now it's a vicious cycle - born & raised in extreme poverty, crappy education system, crappy prospects for a good life, etc. Street crimes and fear of police are a way of life. Before they're old enough to realize it, they've already screwed themselves with a criminal record that's going to keep them down indefinitely. It takes an above-and-beyond individual to break free from that, and most people are not above-and-beyond. So they get stuck in the same cycle, year after year. Part of what keeps them in that cycle is the fact that a criminal record means they don't have a fair chance to move beyond their past mistakes and make a good living for themselves within the law. So I think the thing that would help most is for a criminal record to not be such a barrier into a decent job/living. If they served their debt to society, then it shouldn't be held against them anymore. That's how "whitey" could contribute toward helping to end the cycle of poverty and violence in black communities.

Check your math/history. A generation is usually defined as 20 years. The civil rights movement was not in 1994 and Jim Crow laws ended long before 1974. Just how many generations would you say it should take to have urban morons learn not to commit felonies? Your plan to have "whitey" willing to hire convicted felons will be a tough sell indeed; meanwhile, that gives even more advantage (opportunity) to those that resist the temptation to commit felonies.

The biggest improvement in urban life would be gained by actually turning in and testifying against neighbors, friends and family that commit violent crime, not simply joining in (or failing to report it) to show solidarity with your brothers/sisters. Breaking a cycle requires making changes from within, not simply wishing "others" will begin accepting convicted felons as "normal" if they came from the hood.

The simple fact that 50 percent of the violent crime in the U.S. is committed by a group that comprises only 13 percent of the population.....

That's just astonishing.

The number one problem in the black community is that 3/4 of their children are born without a father anywhere in the picture. Until that changes, it will only get worse.

Look at the racial disparity of SAT scores today. It's dumbfounding how stark of a contrast there is, and there is no need for it. But Sharpton and Jesse continue to tell them their problems are not of their own making, and they keep drinking it up like Kool-aid on a hot day in Jonestown, Guyana.

They will spend all their time over the next six months keeping focus on the martin case, and six months from now the general black population will be just as poor and and all the babies just as fatherless and just as many black youths killing each other and going to jail. Sharpton and company won't have a thing to say about that good or bad, the important thing is to keep pushing that race card on this one case in florida, that's so much more important in the long run.

Last edited:
They will spend all their time over the next six months keeping focus on the martin case, and six months from now the general black population will be just as poor and and all the babies just as fatherless and just as many black youths killing each other and going to jail. Sharpton and company won't have a thing to say about that good or bad, the important thing is to keep pushing that race card on this one case in florida, that's so much more important in the long.

Plus, it keeps the spotlight off the skyrocketing black unemployment rate.

I have my own ideas as to what I see is the problem.. or problems.

but dayum, folks telling black folks what their "real " problems are is mighty insulting... they don't need to be told what their problems are, most are well aware.

May I ask you what you see as the problem?

That's just astonishing.

Look at the racial disparity of SAT scores today. It's dumbfounding how stark of a contrast there is, and there is no need for it.

^^ Truth.

By Pat Buchanan
7/19/2013

(Excerpt)

Read more:

I can't agree with profiling taxi cab pickups based on skin color. If they're doing something suspicious than sure don't pick them up, regardless of skin color. But I'm sure the vast majority of blacks and Hispanics are not criminals even if it is not quite as large a majority of whites, and profiling based on that seems wrong.

I can't agree with profiling taxi cab pickups based on skin color. If they're doing something suspicious than sure don't pick them up, regardless of skin color. But I'm sure the vast majority of blacks and Hispanics are not criminals even if it is not quite as large a majority of whites, and profiling based on that seems wrong.

It happens every day in the city of New York and it's five boroughs. If you live in the seemier parts of town, you will seldom see a yellow cab that's why the "Gypsy Cabs" thrive.

It happens every day in the city of New York and it's five boroughs. If you live in the seemier parts of town, you will seldom see a yellow cab that's why the "Gypsy Cabs" thrive.

I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said it shouldn't. Although I don't really mind cabs avoiding high crime areas. I would mind if in one spot a cab would pick up a white man and not a black man.

Check your math/history. A generation is usually defined as 20 years.
You're right, but my point still stands - what we're seeing today are the lingering effects of those policies and social attitudes.

Your plan to have "whitey" willing to hire convicted felons will be a tough sell indeed
Then the problem won't be solved as quickly as most of us would like.

meanwhile, that gives even more advantage (opportunity) to those that resist the temptation to commit felonies.
Clearly that isn't solving the problem, though.

The biggest improvement in urban life would be gained by actually turning in and testifying against neighbors, friends and family that commit violent crime, not simply joining in (or failing to report it) to show solidarity with your brothers/sisters.
That would help, but many don't turn in their neighbors because violent retribution for that kind of thing is usually imminent. Snitches get stitches. The people doing the violence (initially and the retribution) need better opportunities, and of course the desire to take advantage of them.

Breaking a cycle requires making changes from within, not simply wishing "others" will begin accepting convicted felons as "normal" if they came from the hood.
I agree, and would also say that breaking a cycle often requires help from others, because changes from within only go so far if everything else contributes to keeping you down. That's why I said a criminal record is "part of what keeps them in that cycle," another obvious part being their own choices not to change.

Last edited:
hellifIknow <shrug>

culture problems have to be solved by those within the culture

I think quality education for parents and kids makes an enormous difference. I think feeling like you have REAL options that are obtainable makes an enormous difference. I think having the majority of the population not judge you without EVER speaking to you makes an enormous difference. I think giving kids educational options in place of jail time ........

People rarely dig themselves out of poverty or poor parenting because the are too immersed in the problem. They do, but it is rare and profoundly difficult. I am not saying that black Americans are not capable of escaping poverty and building a better life for themselves and their families. I AM saying that more people who are caught in the destructive cycle of poverty, regardless of color, would escape it if given a little real assistance and education.

I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said it shouldn't. Although I don't really mind cabs avoiding high crime areas. I would mind if in one spot a cab would pick up a white man and not a black man.

I fully agree with you, but the truth isn't a lie. Try getting a cab on Fulton Street or Liberty Ave in the City line of Bklyn/Queens area.

You're right, but my point still stands - what we're seeing today are the lingering effects of those policies and social attitudes.

Then the problem won't be solved as quickly as most of us would like.

Clearly that isn't solving the problem, though.

That would help, but many don't turn in their neighbors because violent retribution for that kind of thing is usually imminent. Snitches get stitches. The people doing the violence (initially and the retribution) need better opportunities, and of course the desire to take advantage of them.

I agree, and would also say that breaking a cycle often requires help from others, because changes from within only go so far if everything else contributes to keeping you down. That's why I said a criminal record is "part of what keeps them in that cycle," the other part being their own desire (or lack thereof) to change.

We, the US taxpayers, have spent trillions of dollars on social "safety net" programs only to see poverty basically unchanged, a high K-12 drop out rate remain and the black out of wedlock childbirth rate soar to 73%. What has damaged the black male most, IMHO, is that he cannot compete with welfare (in all of its many forms) as a provider, he is now only needed to be a father and not a "daddy". More and more gov't social programs, intentionally or not, have made the presense of a black "daddy" less and less important for the survival of their mates and he raising of their offspring.

As the old proverb says: Give a man a fish and you feed him for that day; teach the man to fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime. What our well meaning social programs have done is mainly to simply reward economic failure, not to teach anyone the basics of economic success. Try to get gov't aid to be taught basic carpentry, get a decent old work truck and some basic carpentry tools - they simply look at you like you are from another planet; yet ask them to pay your housing costs, feed your family and they hand you a form to fill out.

I'm wondering if anyone has any race/crime data that controls for other factors. I've been looking but can't find anything. I know the 50% crime vs 13% population number is thrown around a lot, and it is pretty strong evidence, but it isn't really conclusive. I'd like to see the percentages of white vs black crime where each has similar income levels, age, and location to see how different they are. I know black's commit more crimes, but they are also generally poorer and live in higher population density areas which are generally also increased crime factors. I'd love to know which variable is a bigger indicator.

Back
Top Bottom