• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bizzare GOP claims

Wiseone

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So I was browsing the GOP website and taking a look at the accomplishments they as a party claim to their name. Of course the Democrats website isn't much better but I wasn't looking at it so I'm making this topic about the GOP.

Anyway three big things jump out at me.

Firstly, they take credit for the passage of the 14th amendment, something which many Republicans today oppose the traditional interpretation of. Of course the website states "The original purpose of the 14th Amendment was to defend African-Americans from their Democrat oppressors in the post-Civil War South."

However the part most people have trouble with today is "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside." It seems pretty clear to me to apply to "all persons" and not former slaves. But hey thats open to interpretation.

Secondly, you have the claim that Republicans opposed Plessy v. Ferguson, a landmark case in 1896 which upheld the Constitutionality of racial segregation. Now if we put aside the fact that SCOTUS judges are apolitical, technically, and look at who appointed those judges we see a different story. That is also the same way the GOP website uses to assign political party titles to the judges as well.

That decision was a 7-1 in favor with the only dissent being a Republican appointed judge. However, of the 8 Judges who voted, one was absent, only TWO were appointed by a Democratic President. So in reality 5 Republicans, 2 Democrats voted for Segregation, and one Republican against.

Thirdly, and most humorously in my opinion. Comes their claim that they were the first to call for the desegregation of the Armed Services, claiming that the RNC in 1940 called for "“Discrimination in the civil service, the army, navy, and all other branches of the Government must cease.”

Except if you're gay of course.

There's other things too, like taking credit for Brown v. Board of Education, which overturned Plessy v. Ferguson. Although at the time only ONE Republican sat on the Court, who happened to be the Chief Justice, the other EIGHT Judges were Dems appointed by either FDR or Truman.

Revisionist history goes both way, the Dems are just as bad on their website which I may follow up later on.

Political News: American Achievements: Political Achievements | RNC: Republican National Committee | GOP

Everyone did the good things and no one did the bad things. Yeah, I see that. ;)

A friend of mine posted a video on facebook where the Democrats took credit for the 19th Amendment.

What many people seem to forget is that in the early 1900s, party ideologies switched.

the times called for racial desegration, not for homosexual desegration.

Back
Top Bottom