• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bitcoin fans are psychopaths who don’t care about anyone, study shows

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The average Bitcoin investor is a calculating psychopath with an inflated ego, according to scientists.

A team of experts recently surveyed more than 500 people to uncover the personality traits that are most common among crypto nuts.

They identified that many investors exhibit signs of the “dark tetrad”, a group of four unsavory traits made up of narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy and sadism.
=======================================================

I would not touch bit coin.

It tends to attract folks who do not want to be part of society but would rather have a little piece of code that they personally control. The same can probably be said for those who obsess over gold or other precious metals as well.

The average Bitcoin investor is a calculating psychopath with an inflated ego, according to scientists.

A team of experts recently surveyed more than 500 people to uncover the personality traits that are most common among crypto nuts.

They identified that many investors exhibit signs of the “dark tetrad”, a group of four unsavory traits made up of narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy and sadism.

It certainly attracts that type but its not always that simple. Bitcoin is part of the side hustle culture developed in this stage of capitalism that is all too heavily reliant on financial instruments.

Bitcoin - the fiat currency of fiat currencies.

Surprising no one.

I stay the hell away from schemes like this.

Did you see that all the sheep that bought "Let's Go Brandon" crypto currency were swindled of all their money?:D

What is the value in Bitcoin/bitcoin? I see it as an extreme of what is the value in the greater stock market. Emotion/greed.

Surprising no one.

Did you see that all the sheep that bought "Let's Go Brandon" crypto currency were swindled of all their money?:D
Its called "rug pulling" and its a commonly used phrase in that community as it happens all the time.

I stay away from Bitcoin because I can’t even pretend to understand it. I dabbled in Dogecoin a bit though. However, the people I do know who invest in it and other cryptocurrencies appear to do so to make money. Or maybe they’re psychopaths…

I got into crypto stuff in 2018ish. Can't say I have much positive to say about it these days, but back then when the value was low and there wasn't much money in the space it was mostly computer nerds excited about the possibilities of a new technology.

I'm still excited about some genuinely good potential uses for blockchain and decentralized computing, but now all the money and research is pouring into the worst possible uses of it. I'm not particularly optimistic of the tech being put to good use anytime soon.

I will leave the psychoanalysis to the experts. The reason I have no interest in Bitcoin is first off, from my perspective, it has no value as a currency. It fluctuates too wildly to be used as a proper means of exchange, a store of value, or a unit of account. And even if it did not have that problem, it is not backed up by the full faith and credit of any given national government and cannot be used for the settlement of any and all debts public or private in any given economy by force of law (except for El Salvador, apparently).

Second off, as an investment, it seems to only have value as a highly speculative asset for which one can only hope a greater fool will come along to take it off your hands. But it has no intrinsic value in itself. Unlike stocks, you own no interest in a publicly-traded corporation which produces goods and services. Unlike a bond, you are not a holder of a debt instrument for which you must be paid back the principal and interest thereon. Unlike real estate, you are not entitled to rents (or at the very least entitled to live on the property you own).

The best argument (or should I say, the most sinister) I have seen for it beyond its value as a speculative asset is that cryptocurrency would help disrupt the global financial system and help displace the United States Dollar as the global reserve currency. But that seems to only be a good thing if you are a deeply anti-American and want to further disrupt the current global order. Since I am not, I have no interest in further spreading the adoption of cryptocurrency.

Last edited:
I will leave the psychoanalysis to the experts. The reason I have no interest in Bitcoin is first off, from my perspective, it has no value as a currency. It fluctuates too wildly to be used as a proper means of exchange, a store of value, or a unit of account. And even if it did not have that problem, it is not backed up by the full faith and credit of any given national government and cannot be used for settlement of any and all debts public or private in any given economy (except for El Salvador, apparently).

Second off, as an investment, it seems to only have value as a highly speculative asset for which one can only hope a greater fool will come along to take it off your hands. But it has no intrinsic value in itself. Unlike stocks, you own no interest in a publicly-traded corporation which produces goods and services. Unlike a bond, you are not a holder of a debt instrument for which you must be paid back the principal and interest thereon. Unlike real estate, you are not entitled to rents (or at the very least entitled to live on the property you own).

The best argument (or should I say, the most sinister) I have seen for it beyond its value as a speculative asset is that cryptocurrency would help disrupt the global financial system and help displace the United States Dollar as the global reserve currency. But that seems to only be a good thing if you are a deeply anti-American and want to further disrupt the current global order. Since I am not, I have no interest in further spreading the adoption of cryptocurrency.
I used to have a much more positive, if cautious, perspective. But at this point there is more bathwater than baby.

I will leave the psychoanalysis to the experts. The reason I have no interest in Bitcoin is first off, from my perspective, it has no value as a currency. . .

Bitcoin has tremendous value as a currency. Bitcoin is used every day as an instrument to purchase goods and services.

Bitcoin's biggest advantage over the US Dollar is that it is immune to inflation.

. . . The best argument (or should I say, the most sinister) I have seen for it beyond its value as a speculative asset is that cryptocurrency would help disrupt the global financial system and help displace the United States Dollar as the global reserve currency. But that seems to only be a good thing if you are a deeply anti-American and want to further disrupt the current global order. Since I am not, I have no interest in further spreading the adoption of cryptocurrency.
Bitcoin will never replace the US Dollar as the World Reserve Currency.

The Yuan might, but not Bitcoin.

Reactions: PoS
Bitcoin has tremendous value as a currency. Bitcoin is used every day as an instrument to purchase goods and services.

Bitcoin can not be used for everyday services, the block chain is too long and transactions take forever even with the tiny fraction of transactions it processes now. If it were to become an every use for most people it would be a disaster for bitcoin

Bitcoin's biggest advantage over the US Dollar is that it is immune to inflation.

Bitcoin is susceptible to rapid and massive devaluation which is much worse than inflation

Surprising no one.

"Did you see that all the sheep that bought "Let's Go Brandon" crypto currency were swindled of all their money?"
I didn't know that but a big part of my sick-ass loves it! :)

"Did you see that all the sheep that bought "Let's Go Brandon" crypto currency were swindled of all their money?"

It takes a psychopath to revile in the misery of others, how much bitcoin do you own?

It takes a psychopath to revile in the misery of others, how much bitcoin do you own?
There's a word for reviling in the misery of others: Schadenfreude

(german) Schaden, meaning "damage" or "harm," and Freude, meaning "joy."

An article referring, right out the gate, to a group of people as "nuts" just might not be a shining example of unbiased journalism.

A new class-action lawsuit filed by an investor in Trumpworld’s favorite “Let’s Go Brandon” meme coin claims that some of the token’s key players orchestrated a pump-and-dump scheme.
The news marks the latest bit of drama that has plagued the coin since its inception last year and which has persisted since the cryptocurrency relaunched in February. A number of former President Donald Trump’s most loyal fans bought into the crypto hype, only to see the value of their investments plummet. Attorneys for the plaintiff, an investor in the coin named Eric De Ford, claimed that the token’s executives and insiders “made false or misleading statements” and “disguised their control over the [c]ompany.” Ultimately, the 79-page suit filed in Florida alleges, those insiders “cynically marketed the LGB Tokens to investors so that they could sell off their portion…for a profit,” even as the selloff caused the value of the coin to drop precipitously for the remaining crypto holders.
The defendants included the Trumpy hedge funder James Koutoulas, NASCAR, and conservative media personalities Candace Owens and David Harris Jr., among others.

A new class-action lawsuit filed by an investor in Trumpworld’s favorite “Let’s Go Brandon” meme coin claims that some of the token’s key players orchestrated a pump-and-dump scheme.
The news marks the latest bit of drama that has plagued the coin since its inception last year and which has persisted since the cryptocurrency relaunched in February. A number of former President Donald Trump’s most loyal fans bought into the crypto hype, only to see the value of their investments plummet. Attorneys for the plaintiff, an investor in the coin named Eric De Ford, claimed that the token’s executives and insiders “made false or misleading statements” and “disguised their control over the [c]ompany.” Ultimately, the 79-page suit filed in Florida alleges, those insiders “cynically marketed the LGB Tokens to investors so that they could sell off their portion…for a profit,” even as the selloff caused the value of the coin to drop precipitously for the remaining crypto holders.
The defendants included the Trumpy hedge funder James Koutoulas, NASCAR, and conservative media personalities Candace Owens and David Harris Jr., among others.
OK, that's hilarious.

Damn , you would think that these people would have the sense to not Go-After-Riches that had anything to do with Trump-lovers.
Trump's dealings,, and his followers have one of the worst track records when it comes to integrity.
Yeah...like you or I would trust a scheme put out by "The My Pillow Man".....Right.... :(

LOL since there are a lot of people getting rich from crypto, perhaps more folks ought to be psychopaths.

Damn , you would think that these people would have the sense to not Go-After-Riches that had anything to do with Trump-lovers.
Trump's dealings,, and his followers have one of the worst track records when it comes to integrity.
Yeah...like you or I would trust a scheme put out by "The My Pillow Man".....Right.... :(
Hard core Trump cultists are dumb as hell, they always get duped.

I will leave the psychoanalysis to the experts. The reason I have no interest in Bitcoin is first off, from my perspective, it has no value as a currency. It fluctuates too wildly to be used as a proper means of exchange, a store of value, or a unit of account. And even if it did not have that problem, it is not backed up by the full faith and credit of any given national government and cannot be used for the settlement of any and all debts public or private in any given economy by force of law (except for El Salvador, apparently).

Your investment/speculation talk is even more accurate based on the fact that Bitcoin in particular literally cannot function as a currency. The security coding on which the entire system is designed means there is a heavily constrained upper bound on transaction rates. The network currently handles something like seven transactions per second and the most optimistic estimates say this can't be increased past 20 or so. Twenty transactions per second, compared to the nearly two thousand transactions per second that Visa handles alone. On top of that are all the other credit cards, every bank transfer, every paycheck for every single person and every cash transaction and so on and so forth.

So, being absolutely not a currency, it acts more like the commodity as you describe. People buy them with dollars based on the idea of someone else paying more dollars for them later. And as you describe... it's a commodity that has no intrinsic value. It's a bunch of arbitrary and useless math.

And the system uses more electricity than Belgium, contributing to global pollution significantly. (especially since quite a bit of the mining occurs in China)

It's a dumb thing that shouldn't exist and quite frankly more governments should just ban them.

Back
Top Bottom