• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Birth Control Now Available by App

Well my first thought was.. how the hell does an app prevent a woman from getting pregnant???? Kinda a miss-leading headline.. but other than that, all for it. Anything that makes things easier for women.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/health/birth-control-options-websites.html?_r=0

I didn't put this in Breaking News, because it doesn't seem to be a new concept. Prjkt Ruby has been around for a few months now, based on a quick search.

This service provides access to birth control from a mobile device. Thoughts?

I find it unbelievable that 40 percent of abortions should be unintended. That is scary for at least 2 reasons.
1. It means that there are a lot of really stupid girls out there.
2. Numbers like that indicate that the demographics will be impossible to handle, if the apps are successful.

What was also note worthy is that if Medicaid is paying for contraception tax money is being used for purposes that many would conscientiously not want to participate in.

I find it unbelievable that 40 percent of abortions should be unintended. That is scary for at least 2 reasons.
1. It means that there are a lot of really stupid girls out there.
2. Numbers like that indicate that the demographics will be impossible to handle, if the apps are successful.

What was also note worthy is that if Medicaid is paying for contraception tax money is being used for purposes that many would conscientiously not want to participate in.

You mean like military spending? A lot of people don't want that either, but we do it anyway.

I mean, come on, this is a person's constitutionally protected right to reproduction.

Well my first thought was.. how the hell does an app prevent a woman from getting pregnant???? Kinda a miss-leading headline.. but other than that, all for it. Anything that makes things easier for women.

The apps are for digital natives that don't realize that doctors are real world beings.

Sounds freaking awesome . . . I hope this is the future of ALL meds.

As long as it follows FDA, LAWS and the medical community guide lines I can see any negative.
Its really doesnt seem much different than pharmacy apps now. I ordered a refill today from my pharmacy phone app :shrug:
Seems it increases convenience and could make competition.

You mean like military spending? A lot of people don't want that either, but we do it anyway.

I mean, come on, this is a person's constitutionally protected right to reproduction.

Actually the military is in fact nearly the only exception that had been made.
And as far as contraception is concerned it was forbidden not very long ago for constitutional reasons for government to pay. That is why I noted it. On what basis does government flaunt the Constitution, do you know? It must be more than just a Ww Want It.

Actually the military is in fact nearly the only exception that had been made.
And as far as contraception is concerned it was forbidden not very long ago for constitutional reasons for government to pay. That is why I noted it. On what basis does government flaunt the Constitution, do you know? It must be more than just a Ww Want It.

Military is executive branch, sex isn't. The US government should protect its citizens from foreign powers as well as each other. Citizens' rights are upheld in the judicial branch, by a court of law. If the government adds a law to the constitution and that law is challenged, the constitution serves as a foundation for the defense of that law.

The government might use the Constitution to prosecute an enemy of the state, but I was referring to how the Constitution is used in defense of citizens legally protected rights. Anyone criminal can act against the people of the US by violating the rights of any one citizen, because it is in our mutual interest to serve one another. I wouldn't call it 'flaunting,' but a representation of the people of the state.

Military is executive branch, sex isn't. The US government should protect its citizens from foreign powers as well as each other. Citizens' rights are upheld in the judicial branch, by a court of law. If the government adds a law to the constitution and that law is challenged, the constitution serves as a foundation for the defense of that law.

The government might use the Constitution to prosecute an enemy of the state, but I was referring to how the Constitution is used in defense of citizens legally protected rights. Anyone criminal can act against the people of the US by violating the rights of any one citizen, because it is in our mutual interest to serve one another. I wouldn't call it 'flaunting,' but a representation of the people of the state.

That is quite right. The Constitutionally protected right is that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...", which it would, if it forced people to act against their religious beliefs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/health/birth-control-options-websites.html?_r=0

I didn't put this in Breaking News, because it doesn't seem to be a new concept. Prjkt Ruby has been around for a few months now, based on a quick search.

This service provides access to birth control from a mobile device. Thoughts?

My only concern was whether they were getting a basic screening. Some things make a woman high-risk for hormonal birth control, and I don't think they should be available OTC without a screening for that reason.

However, this does say these apps include a brief online interview by a doctor to rule those sorts of risk factors out, and that is really all that most women need -- if their history is fine, there's no need for an in-person examination. If they HAVE a risk factor, then they might need to actually see a doctor.

I think this is perfect, actually. It's far too difficult to get birth control, really. Most women don't have any risk factors, and it's really sort of a waste of man hours at clinics that are already low on time and money, not to mention unnecessarily onerous on women. I mean, we've had online medical services where you can, for example, talk to a doc and get antibiotics for your UTI for years now. Hormonal BC is even less dangerous to most women than antibiotics are, so it almost seems silly that it's taken so long for this to happen. The alternative would be to change the law to allow pharmacists do this interview, which would probably be impossible to pass in this Congress, and create a lot of delay at pharmacies for everyone.

Yeah, this is just right, as far as I'm concerned.

I think a better birth control method would be if the woman held the phone between her knees and kept it there. Seems like a 100% safe method.

I think a better birth control method would be if the woman held the phone between her knees and kept it there. Seems like a 100% safe method.

That's way harder to do with a tablet though, and apps are immaterial.

Interesting that only the woman seems to be responsible for this.

Back
Top Bottom