• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Birma, Burma, or Myanmar - what name or names do you use?

I use ....

• Birma

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Burma

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Myanmar

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Republic of the Union of Myanmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw

• Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw

• others

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
I do.
And I am not alone with it.
People with a feeling for and an interest in languages do.
Those who are only interested in the price of beer don't.

:cool:

My sincerest apologies to the OP for my not-so-nice reply as this was obviously a valid question/thread that many had an interest in.

John

By using "Republic of the Union of Myanmar" one signifies one's support for the military dictatorship in that country.

There are good reasons to use the name BURMA instead of Myanmar:

Mrs Clinton used the term "Burma" but only sparingly, preferring to say "this country", but never apparently using the word "Myanmar", which is its official name.

And:

The UK's position is similar. Previous statements by the Foreign Office said: "Burma's democracy movement prefers the form 'Burma' because they do not accept the legitimacy of the unelected military regime to change the official name of the country. Internationally, both names are recognised."

It's general practice at the BBC to refer to the country as Burma, and the BBC News website says this is because most of its audience is familiar with that name rather than Myanmar. The same goes for Rangoon - people in general are more familiar with this name than Yangon.

Who, What, Why: Should it be Burma or Myanmar? - BBC News

3 out of 8 are reasonable enough to say: Burma :peace

@ Burmese

The Burmese language's early forms include Old Burmese and Middle Burmese. Old Burmese dates from the 11th to the 16th century (Pagan to Ava dynasties); Middle Burmese from the 16th to the 18th century (Toungoo to early Konbaung dynasties); modern Burmese from the mid-18th century to the present.

Burmese language - Wikipedia

And once again:

Whoever says Myanmar must also say Magyarország instead of Hungary!

Who opts for the name Myanmar opts for a military dictatorship.

Others: none, because I never seem to have a reason to talk about the place.

I know!

US-Americans hardly ever see any reason to talk about anything or anybody except themselves. :giggle:

Other.

I just call it "That one place over there somewhere".

I know!

US-Americans hardly ever see any reason to talk about anything or anybody except themselves. :giggle:

Do you like cheese/yogurt?

BURMA is now leading with 5 votes.
So it seems, there is some sense left here!

:)

Back
Top Bottom