• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Birma, Burma, or Myanmar - what name or names do you use?

I use ....

• Birma

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Burma

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Myanmar

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Republic of the Union of Myanmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw

• Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw

• others

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Who the hell cares?
I do.
And I am not alone with it.
People with a feeling for and an interest in languages do.
Those who are only interested in the price of beer don't.

:cool:

2 out of 4 voters say: Burma

Not enough votes to make that a significant statement. Very unreliable with few votes.

I do however, think that all votes for both Birma and Burma should be joined together and count as one. Birma is, as far as I know, not English, but German, Dutch and/or a few other European nation that use this. But all these languages also have the name Myanmar, which is not translated into other languages as far as I know. So in order to keep the comparison fair, I suggest to join Birma and Burma and add those 2 votes together before making a comparison to Myanmar.

If I am wrong, and Birma is also English, please let me know. I just cant quickly find anything on that.

Joey

Not enough votes to make that a significant statement.

Of course not!

This poll is not here for the sake of a scientific truth.

It is here to create a kind of "Stimmungsbild" = just to see how the majority here feels.
Nothing more.

I do however, think that all votes for both Birma and Burma should be joined together and count as one. Birma is, as far as I know, not English, but German, Dutch and/or a few other European nation that use this. But all these languages also have the name Myanmar, which is not translated into other languages as far as I know. So in order to keep the comparison fair, I suggest to join Birma and Burma and add those 2 votes together before making a comparison to Myanmar.
Let us agree to dis-agree.
Every option is interesting in its own right.
And anybody can do the adding-up for themselves.

If I am wrong, and Birma is also English, please let me know. I just cant quickly find anything on that.

I just found this:

English translation of 'Birma'

Birma
[ˈbɪrma]
NEUTER NOUN
Word forms: Birmas genitive
Burma
Declension
Birma is a neuter noun. Remember that, in German, both the spelling of the word and the article preceding the word can change depending on whether it is in the nominative, accusative, genitive, or dative case. For further information, see Collins Easy Learning German Grammar.

English Translation of “Birma” | Collins German-English Dictionary

Of course not!

This poll is not here for the sake of a scientific truth.

It is here to create a kind of "Stimmungsbild" = just to see how the majority here feels.
Nothing more.

Hi Rumpel,

I am fully aware of that mate. But even for that purpose, 4 votes isn't all that many. But we're at 6 and counting... Lol.

Joey

I guess Byzantium is out of the question then.

I also missed Byzantium there!

"Byzanz" in German.

And the other form would be Konstantinopel in German.

I am 83, so the country remains "Burma" to me.

If I were talking with a person from that country, I would try to use the term "Myanmar" out of respect to him/her.

Of course, I cannot pronounce at least two of the choices in the OP.

It's spelled Myanmar but it's pronounced, "Raymond Luxury Yacht".

"Myanmar" has the majority now-
I wonder if those people are in love with the military dictatorship there.
Or maybe they just have no feeling for languages.

"Myanmar" has the majority now-
I wonder if those people are in love with the military dictatorship there.
Or maybe they just have no feeling for languages.

How does using the correct name for a country translate into being "in love" with a military dictatorship?

Is the UN in love with the military dictatorship there?

22485_PHL-171113-rakhine-rohingya-afp_1510668508998.jpg

Oh Geezus. This Rumpel guy is still at it.

No one gives a rat's ass what name you call countries.

But then we should call it: "Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw" - shouldn't we? :cool:

Hi Rumpel,

I don't think it quite works like that. There is a local official name and there is an international official name. And than other countries may or may not recognize the official name reject it and give it there own name.

But focusing on what you say, Yes, surely the locals call it exactly that (officially, I am pretty sure that it is called just Myăma on the streets) but outside of Myanmar it will be the UN designated name. And for good reasons. If there was no officially translated name and we would stick to the official local name we would have a problem with all names of all countries where they use a different script, such as Thailand, China, Korea and Japan (But there is lots more...)

Joey

I also missed Byzantium there!

"Byzanz" in German.

And the other form would be Konstantinopel in German.

Byzanz (german) I think refers to the Byzantine Empire and Constantinople (English) the name of it's capital. At a later stage (untill earlie 1900's?) it was also the capital of the Ottoman Empire. This is todays Istanbul, which is just a large important city, but not the capital anymore which is now Ankara.

Joey

Last edited:
it is accurate to say Austro-Hungry when referring to the First world war, but not so much now.

Well - the Austrian-Hungarian Empire does not exist any more as a country.
But Burma still exists.
And many still call it that way.

Well - the Austrian-Hungarian Empire does not exist any more as a country.
But Burma still exists.
And many still call it that way.

Many in Myanmar don/t call their Country that way. or just you and I refer to it as Burma? And wasn't that the essence of the question?
Regards,
CP

Only 2 voters dare to call Burma Burma.

Are all the rest here fans of that military dictatorship in that country that ordered the re-naming of Burma? :cool:

Only 2 voters dare to call Burma Burma.

Are all the rest here fans of that military dictatorship in that country that ordered the re-naming of Burma? :cool:

How does using the correct name for a country translate into being "in love" with a military dictatorship?

Is the UN in love with the military dictatorship there?

Asked more than once....

Back
Top Bottom