• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bird Box

I saw it but the concept of an optically transmitted suicidal plague (and/or zombie/berzerker maker?) was over the top.

I saw it but the concept of an optically transmitted suicidal plague (and/or zombie/berzerker maker?) was over the top.

Yeah but it was enjoyable. I try not to read too much into movies. I know they have problems and are generally inaccurate on many levels.

But they are fun. As long as I don't try to overanalyze a movie, I enjoy it more.

I sort of liked it but is was much like another end of the world (as we knew it) type of movie "What Still Remains".

https://filmschoolrejects.com/what-still-remains-review/

Will look and see if that is on Netflix. I love that genre.

Edited to add: Yes, it's on Netflix, so I will watch it tomorrow. Also one called Extinction, which looks decent, and has Michael Pena and Lizzy Caplan, which is a bonus for both.

Yeah but it was enjoyable. I try not to read too much into movies. I know they have problems and are generally inaccurate on many levels.

But they are fun. As long as I don't try to overanalyze a movie, I enjoy it more.

I used to do that. Then I realized I'd have a lot more options for enjoyment if I didn't.

I watched it. Not bad, but didn't care for the ending.

Anybody seen it yet?

I've seen it twice already. I enjoyed it, quite a bit.

I really liked it too. Like you said if you don't over analyze everything, as hard as it is not to, it's very enjoyable.

Now let's laugh at all these morons doing the Bird Box challenge.

I really liked it too. Like you said if you don't over analyze everything, as hard as it is not to, it's very enjoyable.

Now let's laugh at all these morons doing the Bird Box challenge.

LOVED it! :lol: @ #7 when he moved the ball.

Some of the funniest memes I've seen are Bird Box memes.

LOVED it! :lol: @ #7 when he moved the ball.

Some of the funniest memes I've seen are Bird Box memes.

There are some good memes, for sure. I saw one, can't find it now of course, where it says "hey it's Beyonce" then shows a picture of a guy taking of his blindfold with the caption "my dumb ass" lol so relatable.

There's more of these post apocalyptic shows on the air than ever before. There's a European show where anytime it rains and you get caught by the downpour you die.

LOL I cant turn my brain off when watching these stupid things, I start asking out loud why does the character do this instead of doing that all the time. Drives my son nuts.

Yup and the holes in the story line are massive. Though Miss Bullock gave a fine performance even with a flimsy story line.

We watched it last evening and liked it a great deal. The time just flew right by and it had a excellent blend of tension and mystery involved. The acting was very good.

The bit with the names for the children was a bit off putting but no big deal.

I wonder if somebody blindfolded could really doo all those things but hey - the willing suspension of disbelief is important or things films would never work.

A lot of it reminded me of the Stephen King book THE STAND.

Saw it just last night, actually. Meh. The plot holes with these things always get in the way of enjoying things.

Even little stuff, like a virtual toddler going overboard in whitewater, not drowning, and then not freezing to death despite being soaked to the bone and in freezing weather. No. That's just about instant hypothermia. They didn't give her new clothing or anything.

Or, perhaps, the fact that every time people go inside they take their headbands off.....as if, what, one of these non-corporeal things can't just follow you into the building?

Or... they're starving for years, but the dude is still ripped? You need to eat a whole lot of protein regularly, exercise regularly and heavily, and also get plenty of calories to maintain that kind of muscle mass. It's not 'natural'.

Sadly, I can't really turn off my BS detectors after a certain threshold is passed in a film. It also felt like a slightly modified rip-off of other recent similar-concept movies ("Quiet Place", which sucked, and "The Happening", which I only read about)

I have seen it, and I love the film. It is way better than A Quiet Place.

That works for me sometimes, but I do watch movies where it irritates me. Like that ****ty movie Slenderman.

I thought Bird Box was an OK movie. Nothing particularly special. I did like the whole idea behind it, because I'm a sucker for Lovcraftian monsters and it peaked my interest. Best thing about it are the memes.

we watched it the other night. it was a suspenseful thriller that i would give a positive review. as another poster said, it does remind me a bit of Stephen King. there were some plot holes, but the acting was pretty good, and it flowed well.

at least the birds didn't die. anyone who has birds would know that there's no way that they would have survived that kind of abuse getting banged around in a cardboard box like that. either way, it was a fun movie.

I watched it all with my girlfriend. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

OMGOOSSSSHHHHHH

The tall creepy floaty guy in episode 4?

Nope, nope, nope. I slept with the lights on after I watched that episode. Seriously. And I am 52.

It was like 3am before I could go to sleep after that episode. My heart would not stop racing.

OMGOOSSSSHHHHHH

The tall creepy floaty guy in episode 4?

Nope, nope, nope. I slept with the lights on after I watched that episode. Seriously. And I am 52.

It was like 3am before I could go to sleep after that episode. My heart would not stop racing.

**** scared us both. Usually when I watch horror films, they tend to be really, really, ****ty (like Slenderman for example), with cheap jumpscares and horrible writing, so bad that they make me laugh more than actually be scared. But man, this series scared me. I'm glad it did; that's what I think about horror: the thrill. A lot of stuff on Netflix is more miss than hit for me, but that series takes the cake.

**** scared us both. Usually when I watch horror films, they tend to be really, really, ****ty (like Slenderman for example), with cheap jumpscares and horrible writing, so bad that they make me laugh more than actually be scared. But man, this series scared me. I'm glad it did; that's what I think about horror: the thrill. A lot of stuff on Netflix is more miss than hit for me, but that series takes the cake.

Yes. I am a horror fanatic. I've been reading horror since I could read, and have been watching horror movies since I was a kid as well. I am pretty desensitized to horror, because, as you said, it's all jumpscares. I got Slenderman for the grandkids because they have been wanting to watch it, but I was bored to tears.

I like different. I like movies that make you think. I loved the original Paranormal Activity, because it was different. That one (the first one) scared me so much that I laid in the bed at night, afraid to get up to go to the bathroom. I was like 45. :lol:

But Hill House has this creepy undertone. This feeling. The music. The backdrop. The cinematography. The juxtaposition between the kids and their adult counterparts.

I love this show. I have a few more episodes. Waiting on middle child to come home so we can watch them together.

Yes. I am a horror fanatic. I've been reading horror since I could read, and have been watching horror movies since I was a kid as well. I am pretty desensitized to horror, because, as you said, it's all jumpscares. I got Slenderman for the grandkids because they have been wanting to watch it, but I was bored to tears.

I'm glad we have that in common. I listen to creepypastas (short internet horror stories) readings all the time, and I've listened to quite a lot of them that have creeped me out. Of course there are plenty that are just plain ridiculous, but there are some real diamonds in the ruff.

I like different. I like movies that make you think. I loved the original Paranormal Activity, because it was different. That one (the first one) scared me so much that I laid in the bed at night, afraid to get up to go to the bathroom. I was like 45. :lol:

Yeah, I liked the first one too. But the series itself just became so formulaic and boring. And I agree. Horror that keeps you invested, really make for a good experience. I think Hill House very much surpassed in that regard.

But Hill House has this creepy undertone. This feeling. The music. The backdrop. The cinematography. The juxtaposition between the kids and their adult counterparts.

I love this show. I have a few more episodes. Waiting on middle child to come home so we can watch them together.

Right? It's good how great it can be when you have writers and directors that care about their work. It would be very easy to throw something together and put in a few silly jumpscares, but they didn't. It's fantastic. Definitely one of the best things Netflix has put out recently.

I'm glad we have that in common. I listen to creepypastas (short internet horror stories) readings all the time, and I've listened to quite a lot of them that have creeped me out. Of course there are plenty that are just plain ridiculous, but there are some real diamonds in the ruff.

Yeah, I liked the first one too. But the series itself just became so formulaic and boring. And I agree. Horror that keeps you invested, really make for a good experience. I think Hill House very much surpassed in that regard.

Right? It's good how great it can be when you have writers and directors that care about their work. It would be very easy to throw something together and put in a few silly jumpscares, but they didn't. It's fantastic. Definitely one of the best things Netflix has put out recently.

Agreed. And I agree about the later Paranormal Activity movies. I liked the first 2. The rest weren't worth an hour and a half to watch them.

May have to look into creepypasta.

You know what else I really liked? Unfriended. It was just different. I like different.

Back
Top Bottom