• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bipartisan Politics: Does it Hurt America?

Bipartisan Politics: Does it Hurt America?

• Meh..... it really does nothing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Sean Hannity banging away every day (and he does... listen to his talk show) to make the Democrats look horrible. Democratic "news" agencies making Republicans look like sinister folks. This happens 12 hours a DAY on certain networks.

Each side struggles to make the other look like fools. Like Anti-Americans. To the point of cult brain-washing.

Is this REALLY a benefit to America?

See, even Chevy does it. It must be okay.

Sean Hannity banging away every day (and he does... listen to his talk show) to make the Democrats look horrible. Democratic "news" agencies making Republicans look like sinister folks. This happens 12 hours a DAY on certain networks.

Each side struggles to make the other look like fools. Like Anti-Americans. To the point of cult brain-washing.

It seems that when the parties are working together that it hurts America. So as long as they are bickering then I say good.

Bipartisan does not equal political hacks (who call themselves pundits) raking in the money from the people who are taking their garbage for truth.

True bipartisanship, true compromise, and trying to work together for the good of the country would be very helpful. But I don't see that happening anytime soon, atleast not until the two major parties are dissolved.

Yes, but many of our esteemed political scientists have been suggesting that bi-partisanship is a bad thing to go for over the past 2 years, mostly because of the rise of partisans for each side. I disagree, but it is fun to just make it difficult to work with the other guys.

Last edited:
It seems that when the parties are working together that it hurts America. So as long as they are bickering then I say good.

Until WHICH side wins? Thing is the bickering is on Party lines. That only helps the Party. NOT America. Party lines are bull****. The last two years the Republicans have damaged America because of their own power plays. It makes me SICK. The Republicans are out to regain power at the expense of Americans. They will do ANYTHING to make Obama look bad. THAT is the current state of America. Dishonerable.

Until WHICH side wins? Thing is the bickering is on Party lines. That only helps the Party. NOT America. Party lines are bull****. The last two years the Republicans have damaged America because of their own power plays. It makes me SICK. The Republicans are out to regain power at the expense of Americans. They will do ANYTHING to make Obama look bad. THAT is the current state of America. Dishonerable.

Democrats do the same thing republicans do.If there was a another major party then that other major party would be doing the same thing the democrats and republicans do. I know that when I vote for a particular politician because of his or her ideology then I expect that politician to vote that way, not go and vote for issues that they do not stand for. What would be the point of voting for a republican or democrat if he sided with the opposition on a lot of issues? We vote for politicians based on a particular ideology because of the fact we disagree with the other side on how certian things should be done or if they should even be done in the first place. Plus this bickering between parties ensures that it is that much harder for them to do ****, which means its harder for them to try to screw us.

I certainly don't want them working together.
If only there were a way to get them to be elected in even numbers and keep the rampant partisanship.

Then I'd be happy.

The good thing about partisan politics is that it allows a select few leaders to gain enough power to be negotiators to either modify policy or allow for one party divide to speak to the other. And unlike some here, I have no desire to see a rise of a moderate/centrist power base. It works quite well to just have a small number of moderates continue to improve the process in much the same way as it is good to have partisans.

Two parties are better than one. After all, in the words of Jefferson: "Delay is preferable to error."

That being said, I do believe the current two party system is hurting America.

Like everything else, there's good and bad about the 2 party system. Our country is the strongest when there is a division of power in the 3 branches of government. We need the proverbial tug-o-war.

This administration, and the previous administration, have been too lopsided. What happens during these times is we get yanked to the right, only to be yanked to the left shortly afterward. The good part about this (after culling out the BS from the other side) is that the good parts of each side are left alone and allowed to remain as government policy and laws of the land.

A mixed government accomplishes little. It's actually the closest we can get to making the Tea Party and the Libertarians happy.

These recent times of being yanked back and forth are nothing new. They have happened many times in our history. If we, the people, want to be yanked around, then that is what we vote for, to make it happen.

Last edited:

Oh, A Libertarian who see's Obama beset with entrenched hostile Enemies - How quaint .

Despite some substantial differences over Domestic issues - this Nation had BiPartisinship in Foreign Affairs from 1940 thru 1968. Some dispute this , but compared to now it was pretty solid. Individuals like the late Lowell Weicker (R-Conn) who really was a Liberal saw this as a fault. Guys like Frank Church (D- Id) totally agreed. They saw such uniformity in terms of the Gulf of Tonkin resolution getting easily passed with later heavy events. They became myopic & obsessed on the point.

Richard Nixon's Election in the tumultous year of 1968 truly ended any real bipartisinship. We have never recovered because much of the 4th Estate forgot themselves. They saw only a Murrow/McCarthy (Joe) situation when in actuality things were a little more complex and dangerous. Also the comfort level by then of many Americans had caused a lot to forget their more humble origins & concepts - like Common sense.

Possibly wendell Wilkie in 1940 began our solid view of a dangerous World. Eugene McCarthy (though with Good intentions) ended it.

I'm amused! You bemoan and wail party politics, all the while endorsing the "Libertarian Party!" with your proud and prominent signature seal.

I suppose party politics are "SICK" and "Dishonerable" (sic) so long as it's not your party.

I'm amused! You bemoan and wail party politics, all the while endorsing the "Libertarian Party!" with your proud and prominent signature seal.

I suppose party politics are "SICK" and "Dishonerable" (sic) so long as it's not your party.

Maybe thats because both Democrats and Republicans have repeatedly raped us.

Bi-partisanship in the US Congress = Republicans giving in on principle.

The last two years the Republicans have damaged America because of their own power plays.
Over the last two years, the GOP has not had the power to stop anything The Obama has wanted to do; anything that The Obama has been denied or has had delayed is because of Democrats.
Any and all of the damage from the last two years lies directly at the feet to the Dems.

The Republicans are out to regain power at the expense of Americans.
The Democrats are out to retain power at the expense of Americans.
:shrug:

This thread is supposed to be about partisanship right? From my understanding, bipartisan politics are when both political parties work together to get things done. If partisan politics is the issue then, like basically everything else, it depends on the context, and what happens. For example, if something good (aid for 9/11 First responders) is blocked by partisanship, thats bad. If a move to take away the 2nd amendment (no, Obama isn't trying to do that) is blocked by partisan action, then its good.

This thread is supposed to be about partisanship right? From my understanding, bipartisan politics are when both political parties work together to get things done. If partisan politics is the issue then, like basically everything else, it depends on the context, and what happens. For example, if something good (aid for 9/11 First responders) is blocked by partisanship, thats bad. If a move to take away the 2nd amendment (no, Obama isn't trying to do that) is blocked by partisan action, then its good.

Oh yeaaaaaaah..... I just noticed.

Bipartisan simply means two parties. And yes it hurts our country. We need 6-7 parties. No two parties can represent any individual well. In our current system a person has to pick their favorite issue and go with it even if they have to compromise on another. Ebony recently ran an article that claimed a majority of blacks agree with conservative issues, however they cling to the democrats because that party is seen as the strongest on civil rights of minorities.
With this current system a person has to either support gay rights or pro life because the two parties are on opposite sides of those issues. A multiple party system would allow an individual to support a candidate with a pro life pro gay agenda.
Fear (and some bipartisan flim flam)prevents the multiple party system from happening. People become petrified their favorite issue will lose if the don't vote for the D or R. Friends of the Bi-partisans claim you are wasting your vote or voting for the other side to keep folks in check. So don't hold your breathe that anything except the 2 party system is coming soon.

Bipartisan simply means two parties. And yes it hurts our country. We need 6-7 parties. No two parties can represent any individual well. In our current system a person has to pick their favorite issue and go with it even if they have to compromise on another. Ebony recently ran an article that claimed a majority of blacks agree with conservative issues, however they cling to the democrats because that party is seen as the strongest on civil rights of minorities.

I can agree with that if we remove the enormous power special interest groups have; we should just give them their own parties, so they can stop screwing up the other ones.

Insofar as Aid to the 9/11 responders - that is for additional late term problems - IF there was a Line Item Veto solidly in place by a Constitutional Amendment - well perhaps these things might work out better. Needless to say , Barry would have signed the whole thing - but in the future there may be a more fiscally responsible President.

Back
Top Bottom