• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bipartisan deal close on expanded background checks

Well, almost anyway... :mrgreen:

With what I did, I wouldn't consider myself an average citizen. I can understand an average citizen not wanting to be part of any list compiled by the government. It seem George Orwell and big brother is coming truer and truer. With each step to more security, comes less liberty.

I didn't know that but I always found it an odd number especially considering it seems like an educated guess. Considering we don't have UBC's or registry to track them now what would the statistic be based on?

A SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) is all it is. ;)

A SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) is all it is. ;)

I think, based on my experience, FAR MORE guns are transferred by inheritance (wo/BGC’s) which presumably would be included in the 40%.

I have no problem with or being in a database that all legal citizens are part of. The mark on the photo ID or Licence is perfect. Either you can or can't own a weapon. No need to know what you own outside of class III weapons or explosives anyway. I have no problem with background checks as long as it does not cost the state an arm and a leg we have to pay for. Or it puts us on a "he owns this gun" list.

The "he owns this gun list" is what the liberals want, they will, no doubt, assert that it is required to prevent "straw buyers". Even though they assert that "straw voters" do not exist they will still assert that "straw gun buyers" are a huge national problem. ;)

And after that, IF it passes, the Federal government have to hire lots of new people to keep track of all that paperwork, wouldn't it?

Sounds like a larger, rather than a smaller, central government to me... :(

From what I am seeing so far, it appears it will just be an expansion of the existing NICS system so it is unlikely a large increase in new hires will be needed to accomplish it. The president has already issued an executive order increasing enforcement of existing gun laws which the majority of voters support.

Last edited:
With what I did, I wouldn't consider myself an average citizen. I can understand an average citizen not wanting to be part of any list compiled by the government. It seem George Orwell and big brother is coming truer and truer. With each step to more security, comes less liberty.

“There is complete agreement, among Democrats and Republicans in the talks, that nothing will be by law or look in any way like a national gun registry”

Bipartisan deal close on expanded background checks

...The president has already issued an executive order increasing enforcement of existing gun laws which the majority of voters support.

He did? Please point the portion that increases enforcement of existing laws...thx

I think it's more like with each step to more perceived security by those willing to trust their government, comes less liberty.

What fools...

"Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!" is a quotation attributed to Patrick Henry from a speech he made to the Virginia Convention. On that day, at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia, and is credited with having swung the balance in convincing the Virginia House of Burgesses to pass a resolution delivering the Virginia troops to the Revolutionary War. Among the delegates to the convention were future US Presidents Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.

Give me Liberty, or give me Death! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He did? Please point the portion that increases enforcement of existing laws...thx

"4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

"9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."

"11. Nominate an ATF director."

"2. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."

Here Are The 23 Executive Orders On Gun Safety Signed Today By The President - Forbes

"Coburn is also working on a way to exempt from background checks gun sales or transfers between family members and providing gun sellers in rural areas an Internet-based background check system similar to the ones that landlords use to screen tenants."

Bipartisan Senate Gun Deal Possible by Week's End - NationalJournal.com
how are they going to check and see if there was a BGC done given private sellers and buyers have no duty to keep a record of what they own and when they obtained a weapon

how are they going to check and see if there was a BGC done given private sellers and buyers have no duty to keep a record of what they own and when they obtained a weapon
I keep asking this question and continue wondering to no avail. The more is released about this the more it seems like ‘feel good’ legislation that has no hope of being successful (whatever that means). And after passage legislators will throw their arms out of socket patting themselves on their backs and the electorate will eat it up, especially the ‘left wingers’…as usual.

I keep asking this question and continue wondering to no avail. The more is released about this the more it seems like ‘feel good’ legislation that has no hope of being successful (whatever that means). And after passage legislators will throw their arms out of socket patting themselves on their backs and the electorate will eat it up, especially the ‘left wingers’…as usual.

the entire goal of democratic party gun schemes is to eliminate the massive funding the GOP gets from pro gun groups-a fact pattern that has been true ever since the DNC adopted Gun Control as a shield against GOP charges that soft hearted and mushy brained Democratic Judges were soft on violent urban crime in the 1960s.

These proposals have no chance of decreasing crime but when they fail, the crocodile tearing democratic party leaders will whine that additional "reasonable" measures are needed

the entire goal of democratic party gun schemes is to eliminate the massive funding the GOP gets from pro gun groups-a fact pattern that has been true ever since the DNC adopted Gun Control as a shield against GOP charges that soft hearted and mushy brained Democratic Judges were soft on violent urban crime in the 1960s.

These proposals have no chance of decreasing crime but when they fail, the crocodile tearing democratic party leaders will whine that additional "reasonable" measures are needed

This maybe true but they seem to not understand, or are in denial of, the magnitude of ‘one issue voters’ who support gun rights and their efforts merely promote MORE massive funding…Bill Clinton’s recent warning should be heeded, or not.

This maybe true but they seem to not understand, or are in denial of, the magnitude of ‘one issue voters’ who support gun rights and their efforts merely promote MORE massive funding…Bill Clinton’s recent warning should be heeded, or not.

20 years ago I heard from the braying donkeys that most of the people supported "assault weapon bans"

one was David Mann, a once popular mayor of cincinnati who used his Naval service as a facade to hide his big government gun hating true image. He got his ass crushed by Steven Chabot in the 1994 congressional election, who has remained in office since (other than a two year vacation when legions of first time black obama bots voted straight dem in 2008)

Both he and Steve said the gun vote was what did Mann in

"Coburn is also working on a way to exempt from background checks gun sales or transfers between family members and providing gun sellers in rural areas an Internet-based background check system similar to the ones that landlords use to screen tenants."

Bipartisan Senate Gun Deal Possible by Week's End - NationalJournal.com

This is just another "feel good" attempt by liberals to placate the masses ignorant about gun control. It would have no significance in reducing crime.

If Congress wants to reduce crime they should prosecute the DOJ for straw sales and gun walking conspiracies to send firearms beyond an international border.

I didn't know that but I always found it an odd number especially considering it seems like an educated guess. Considering we don't have UBC's or registry to track them now what would the statistic be based on?
The 40% Myth

If they wish to continue to profit from the sale of guns they will have the incentive to keep a record of what they own and when they obtained a weapon.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1061471956 said:
This is just another "feel good" attempt by liberals to placate the masses ignorant about gun control. It would have no significance in reducing crime.

If Congress wants to reduce crime they should prosecute the DOJ for straw sales and gun walking conspiracies to send firearms beyond an international border.

Thanks for the viewpoint of the 10% of the country that opposes background checks for all gun sales. :cool:

If they wish to continue to profit from the sale of guns they will have the incentive to keep a record of what they own and when they obtained a weapon.

most people sell a USED gun for LESS than they PAID NEW FOR it

so much for that drivel about PROFIT

If you are selling guns for PROFIT you are a DEALER and NEED a license

Thanks for the viewpoint of the 10% of the country that opposes background checks for all gun sales. :cool:

Quantity is what the left deals in-we try to be correct on the other hand

Quantity is what the left deals in-we try to be correct on the other hand

If that is what you tell yourself to make you feel better about being politically irrelevant, knock yourself out! :cool:

Update on bipartisan bill:

"Are specific gun-control measures beginning to build momentum in Congress? Key lawmakers in recent comments have indicated that’s the case. For instance, Sen. John McCain (R) of Arizona on Sunday said many senators are lining up behind a bipartisan plan whose centerpiece is an expansion of background checks on gun purchasers.

“I think that most of us will be able to support” that package, said Senator McCain on NBC’s "Meet the Press."

Background checks have long been seen as a sweet spot in the gun debate that could draw both Republican and Democratic votes, but McCain’s tacit endorsement is still a “key moment,”

Which gun control measures are gaining momentum in Congress? - CSMonitor.com

I can live with expanded background checks ( not universal background checks, though)... well, because I'm exempt from background checks anyways.

it won't do much to combat crime or mass killings, but I can live with it.

if there ends up being a database ( no, I don't take politicians word for it).. all bets are off.

all in all, I think the major accomplishment of this sort of bill will be to drive gun sales that take place in the gray market right into the black market....it's an inevitability.

Back
Top Bottom