• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bipartisan Congressmen Call Out Biden on Fertilizer Cut Mandates in Critical Planting Season, Leading to Food Shortages

munkle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Cindy Axne is a Democrat, Randy Feenstra is a Republican. They called the situation “dire.” The Surface Transportation Board (STB) is the executive branch agency charged with overseeing the federally regulated rails. Chairman Martin Oberman is a Biden political appointee.

Press release from Congresswoman Cindy Axne, April 22, 2022:

“Today, Rep. Cindy Axne (IA-03) and Rep. Randy Feenstra (IA-04) sent a letter to Surface Transportation Board (STB) Chairman Martin Oberman requesting that the Board take swift action to address the significant delays in rail shipments impacting agricultural goods… Last week a leading nitrogen fertilizer producer informed customers of delivery delays during the planting season due to volume restrictions on rail lines.”

On April 14 fertilizer giant CF Industries sent out the alarming press release which said:

““The timing of this action by [federally regulated] Union Pacific could not come at a worse time for farmersNot only will fertilizer be delayed by these shipping restrictions, but additional fertilizer needed to complete spring applications may be unable to reach farmers at all…jeopardizing farmers’ harvests and increasing the cost of food for consumers.

For more on deliberately created coming food shortages see article below. In addition to mandated fertilizer stoppages, over two dozen major food processing plants in the US have been destroyed or heavily damaged by mysterious fires or accidents such as planes crashing into them. And due to what can only be called an insane and brutal “zero covid” lockdown in Shanghai, in which residents are pleading that they are starving in their apartments, the world’s largest shipping container port is frozen and not moving cargo, impacting supply chains around the world.

On March 24, 2022 Joe Biden spoke of “food shortages” saying “it’s going to be real.”

US Surface Transportation Board Chairmain Martin Oberman (202) 245-0245 rcpa@stb.gov

Contact your congressman

Biden: There will be food shortages coming

US Representative Cindy Axne (D- Iowa)

330px-axne_official_portrait.jpg

MORE...

Last edited:

Cindy Axne is a Democrat, Randy Feenstra is a Republican. They called the situation “dire.”

Press release from Congresswoman Cindy Axne, April 22, 2022:

“Today, Rep. Cindy Axne (IA-03) and Rep. Randy Feenstra (IA-04) sent a letter to Surface Transportation Board (STB) Chairman Martin Oberman requesting that the Board take swift action to address the significant delays in rail shipments impacting agricultural goods… Last week a leading nitrogen fertilizer producer informed customers of delivery delays during the planting season due to volume restrictions on rail lines.”

On April 14 fertilizer giant CF Industries sent out the alarming press release which said:

““The timing of this action by [federally regulated] Union Pacific could not come at a worse time for farmersNot only will fertilizer be delayed by these shipping restrictions, but additional fertilizer needed to complete spring applications may be unable to reach farmers at all…jeopardizing farmers’ harvests and increasing the cost of food for consumers.

For more on deliberately created coming food shortages see article below. In addition to mandated fertilizer stoppages, over two dozen major food processing plants in the US have been destroyed or heavily damaged by mysterious fires or accidents such as planes crashing into them. And due to what can only be called an insane and brutal “zero covid” lockdown in Shanghai, in which residents are pleading that they are starving in their apartments, the world’s largest shipping container port is frozen and not moving cargo, impacting supply chains around the world.

On March 24, 2022 Joe Biden spoke of “food shortages” saying “it’s going to be real.”

US Surface Transportation Board Chairmain Martin Oberman (202) 245-0245 rcpa@stb.gov

Contact your congressman

Biden: There will be food shortages coming

US Representative Cindy Axne (D- Iowa)

330px-axne_official_portrait.jpg

MORE...

Biden hasn't gotten a thing correct yet, why would he start now.

Central planning NEVER works - in fact, it fails so bad as to be utterly destructive to virtually everything it pretends to be able to "solve."

But when your central planner is a cognitively challenged, corrupt, third-rate politician who's never done a lick of honest work in his life... the prognosis is even worse than his cognitive decline.

Wait, I see supply chain issues, where are the Biden policies involved?

Anything bipartisan is likely just to be more psychotic than usual.

I am amazed and shocked that Biden said there could be serious food shortages due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and then two weeks later goes to Iowa to support and promote ethanol additives to gas. I shake my head at thinking about how many people the corn going into ethanol can feed. Maybe the food shortage estimates are not truly as bad as Biden predicted.

Do you really want to go down the path that there are no Biden policies in response to the worst supply chain crisis this country has seen in generations? Where indeed.

I don’t know how or why a single railroad company somehow consolidated the power to destroy the nation’s harvest, but we do have a department of transportation do we not? So what is the Biden Administration doing about this?

The drought in my area is so bad that farmers will have only 30 days of irrigation available to them this year. Fertilizers are the least of their worries.

The drought in my area is so bad that farmers will have only 30 days of irrigation available to them this year. Fertilizers are the least of their worries.

Any real famine will be a confluence of factors contributing to it. It seems they are trying as hard as they can to make it happen, whoever is burning down the food processing plants, telling Xi to lockdown Shanghai harbor. But the federally regulated freights are squarely on Biden.

Agree. Not a problem created by the Biden administration.
The problem is a supply chain and fertilizer companies issues.
In fact the US government has offered help.

USDA Announces Plans for $250 Million Investment to Support Innovative American-made Fertilizer to give US Farmers more choices in the Marketplace​

Too Many to Count: Factors Driving Fertilizer Prices Higher and Higher​

Do you really want to go down the path that there are no Biden policies in response to the worst supply chain crisis this country has seen in generations? Where indeed.

I don’t know how or why a single railroad company somehow consolidated the power to destroy the nation’s harvest, but we do have a department of transportation do we not? So what is the Biden Administration doing about this?
The supported and encouraged west coast seaport activities for container ships to 24 hours, 7 days a week. So now there are less container ships languishing off the west coast. But there are more containers sitting in the ports themselves waiting for transport.

Not sure that a fertilizer mandate is more than trying to keep rising energy prices from continuing to rise. Pick your poison time. No good options right now.

The supported and encouraged west coast seaport activities for container ships to 24 hours, 7 days a week. So now there are less container ships languishing off the west coast. But there are more containers sitting in the ports themselves waiting for transport.

Not sure that a fertilizer mandate is more than trying to keep rising energy prices from continuing to rise. Pick your poison time. No good options right now.
This is domestic product. The fertilizer is produced by CFI in Louisiana and distributed to farm country via Union Pacific rail. The problem is that Union Pacific notified CFI without warning that, effective immediately, it had to reduce rail traffic on its lines by ~20%. That means fertilizer won’t be distributed to our farmers so there will be a bad harvest this year and a food shortage.

I am amazed and shocked that Biden said there could be serious food shortages due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and then two weeks later goes to Iowa to support and promote ethanol additives to gas. I shake my head at thinking about how many people the corn going into ethanol can feed. Maybe the food shortage estimates are not truly as bad as Biden predicted.
Ethanol = good in theory, bad in practice.

This is domestic product. The fertilizer is produced by CFI in Louisiana and distributed to farm country via Union Pacific rail. The problem is that Union Pacific notified CFI without warning that, effective immediately, it had to reduce rail traffic on its lines by ~20%. That means fertilizer won’t be distributed to our farmers so there will be a bad harvest this year and a food shortage.

At the worst possible time in the worst possible year. Add to that food processing plants burning, Russian imports halted, and Shanghai harbor closed.

Today the US Surface Transportation Board held hearings on the problem, forced by the congress members. Call yours. Then call Oberman. Unless you want your kids to be hungry in 5 months.

Secretary of Transportation Buttigieg, Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Bronaugh, FMC Commissioner Bentzel to Testify at Hearing on Urgent Issues in Freight Rail Service

Last edited:

Pretty simple to me. Food comes first.

Back
Top Bottom