• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bin Laden Aims to Attack U.S. This Year - NY Times

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Yahoo News

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), believed to be hiding along the Afghanistan (news - web sites)-Pakistan border, is directing an al Qaeda effort to launch an attack in the United States sometime this year, The New York Times reported on Friday, citing unnamed U.S. officials.

"What we know about this most recent information is that it is being directed from the seniormost levels of the al Qaeda organization," the newspaper quoted a senior Bush administration official as saying at a briefing for reporters.

"We know that this leadership continues to operate along the border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan," the official said, according to the Times.

It does not appear that bin Laden is trying to take an active leadership role in formulating a specific plan, as he did in preparations for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the newspaper said, citing an administration official.

There is evidence bin Laden is able to communicate with his followers, urging them to carry out operations in the name of al Qaeda, the official said, according to the newspaper.

On Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge warned Americans that al Qaeda may try to carry out a large-scale attack to disrupt the November elections, but he did not offer details. Ridge said the warning was based on intelligence received from credible sources gathered over the past months.

The Times said it was not clear until the comments of the senior officials on Thursday that bin Laden and top deputies were responsible for the concern.

In discussing the latest threat information, one of the officials said the intelligence was "cryptic," about both timing and location, the newspaper said.

There is no specific reference to the coming U.S. political conventions in New York and Boston, but that remains an immediate focus of concern, the official said, according to the Times.

I'm really getting concerned about all this press regarding "potential" terror attacks. I'm really thinking we are getting the realm of the little boy that cried wolf. We as a nation are going to become numb to them at some point.

I understand that they are just trying to keep people vigilant, but I personally don't even give it a second thought anymore when they have press like this.

I think its a double edged sword. If they say nothing and an attack happens the freaking commie puke liberals will be jumping up and down asking why they weren't told this might happen. If they contiunue to release the information as they have been we become numb to it as you said. I personally try to be prepared at all times. I have supplies to last a month or 2 with out any power,water, etc if the shit hits the fan. I believe it is my duty as a citizen to be ready for any type of dissaster wether it be a natural or unnatural kind.

If you're going to become numb of anything, it's gonna be from those telling you lies about WMD's found. The news need to be and should be reported as is. They have to tell us exactly how it is. What they need to start doing is use those informants and intelligence to find Osama Bin Laden, not keep telling us what his plan is...
...wait...unless you wanna elect John Kerry to find him...

Back
Top Bottom