• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Whittle: Family Guy Programming Young People to Hate GOP

Any doubt that Whittle said it? Or doubt that it's true?
The assertion that we're "programmed" by pop-culture is not a fact.

Really? Then why do companies spend billions of dollars on advertising if people are not effected by what they see in the media? If the media says that the Kardashians, or Paris Hilton or any other no talent people are worth watching, then people will be absorbed by it and respond the way they are expected to respond. No one is free from media influence and what they decide will be the fashion of the day.

I'd argue that Superman reached it's peak in 1978, with the release of Superman in the theaters. . . oddly that was at the time that President Carter was installing solar panels on the White House.
I believe Whittle was referring more to the time of the TV series rather than the movies.

Really? Then why do companies spend billions of dollars on advertising if people are not effected by what they see in the media? If the media says that the Kardashians, or Paris Hilton or any other no talent people are worth watching, then people will be absorbed by it and respond the way they are expected to respond. No one is free from media influence and what they decide will be the fashion of the day.
Despite major marketing campaigns, some products (and television shows) fail. If ads were all that it took, then any product which had enough of a campaign would be successful. This is not the case.
A certain degree of receptivity in the target audience has to already exist before ads can do their thingc.
The same principle applies to TV shows.

"We" watch the Kardassians et al because "we" have a pre-disposition for trashy tabloid type stuff. TV didn't create that inclination in us. It just panders to it.

TV is not mind-control rays.

Seems like a good place for this:

Bill Whittle's 7 part series "What We Believe" is very good at making the Tea Party argument. You don't have to agree with it, but if you want to actually understand the core concepts of American Tea Party rather than the 3 color tee-shirt caricature version pushed by MSNBC then these 7 short videos are a good start.

Part 1: Small Government, Free Enterprise

Part 2: The Problem with Elitism

Part 3: Wealth Creation

Part 4: Natural Law

Part 5: Gun Rights

Part 6: Immigration

Part 7: American Exceptionalism

It goes deeper than that. I strongly recommend CONFLICT OF VISIONS by Thomas Sowell as the first deep dive into more formal conservative philosophy.

I've alway felt this guy was full of it, now I am positive. See the video at the link below.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-01-at-3.56.58-PM.png

Conservative blogger and screenwriter Bill Whittle called out the show Family Guy as a symptom of America’s decadent liberalism, and said that conservatives needed to regain the power of narrative in order to win elections.

At the RightOnline Conference in Orlando this weekend, Whittle charted the decline of American muscular values through the history of television.

“Any audience of people that grew up with classical Superman automatically love this country, because Superman is about the best America we can be,” he said. “When Superman was all over the pop culture, we were a nation that loved this country. Now, twenty years after the peak of Superman‘s popularity, along comes Gilligan’s Island. That’s pretty neutral in terms of politics. Really about the only message you can get from Gilligan’s Island is if you want to get off the island all you have to do is kill Gilligan.”*

“But if you’re a young person out there today and you can finish the theme song from Family Guy, then all the anti-American, anti-capitalist, anti-Christian, anti-morality messages of Family Guy are in your head as completely and thoroughly as that theme song is,” Whittle said.

He argued that conservative electoral success was tied to the ability to successfully weave narratives around conservative beliefs. “You’re programmed by the pop culture, you’re programed by story,” he said. “It’s all about stories, and if we’re the villain in all of the stories that are told we’re never going to win another election again.”

Bill Whittle: 'Family Guy' Programming Youth Against GOP | Mediaite

You mean the immigrated alien from outer space is the best America can be? Selfless, , brave, courageous, not religious, mild mannered, dislikes guns and weapons, not interested in capitalism, does not kill and frowns upon the practice of killing, etc. etc. etc.

A lot of what Superman stands for can also be found in the US but IMHO Superman is more the ultimate perfect personification of what humans aspire to be rather than "the best of what people are actually like", American or otherwise.

family guy is a comedy series in which a big fat violent moron does all kinds of things normal people would never do, he is an extreme version of "some Americans" are. Every character in Family guy is extreme, whether it is the extremely religious father of Peter, the extremely capitalist father of Lois, the extremely oversexed Quagmire, the extremely docile mother of Lois, the mass murdering brother of Lois, the extremely man-mad sister of Lois, Chris Griffin is an extremely fat and awkward kid, Meg is a cutter, food-issue having, girl who is struggling with her sexuality etc. Stewie is somewhat of a born metrosexual mostly who sometimes likes girls but who has a incredibly gay relation with his teddy bear. Brian is the prototypical liberal who talks a lot of liberal points of views but who fails to uphold those liberal values time and time again.

All kinds of political and religious views are found in family guy, liberal, conservative, catholic, jewish, black, white, hispanic, asian, gays, etc. etc.

All kinds of social issues are paraded through the episodes but mostly it is just mindless comedy, mostly in bad taste but it seems to connect with a lot of people but to claim it targets one religion more than the other is untrue, Family Guy is a indiscriminate discriminator to all and everyone.

One thing we should not do for sure is take the advice of someone who has done nothing but show a completely left wing partisan agenda since they've joined. If you think the left is free from people saying stupid **** it's because, in your own partisan mind you're incapable of seeing it.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me. There is also the meltdown factor where it becomes entertaining to watch people with no sense of humor take everything way to seriously and stomp around like a 2 year old.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me. There is also the meltdown factor where it becomes entertaining to watch people with no sense of humor take everything way to seriously and stomp around like a 2 year old.

Yeah.

Despite major marketing campaigns, some products (and television shows) fail. If ads were all that it took, then any product which had enough of a campaign would be successful. This is not the case.
It depends on how obviously trashy the item is. Those ads telling yu to 'call in, but wait!' sell millions in junk and are never heard from again until its time to con the next generations of consumers. Barnum was no fool.

A certain degree of receptivity in the target audience has to already exist before ads can do their thing.The same principle applies to TV shows.
But the audience has to be receptive to trash so how can anyone create an audience who would be interested in what the Kardashians do? They make it exciting flashy, and reminds the poor viewer how dull their lives are compared with genuine celebrity. They have destroyed one myth and replaced it with one far worse and debilitating. The media creates the audience; the medium really is the message.

"We" watch the Kardassians et al because "we" have a pre-disposition for trashy tabloid type stuff. TV didn't create that inclination in us. It just panders to it.
Well I disagree. There has to be a whole lot of other things going on in any culture before they are consumed by the trivial. First they have to trivialize their neighbors, their country, different opinions, religion, culture, and so on. Only after all of that is complete can celebrities like Hilton or a Kardashian be a celebrity, or could a celebrity president possibly be elected.

Last edited:
So your point is? Are you saying that Family Guy is not biased or that it is biased but people should not care? It is obvious that many in the entertainment business tend to lean left, but is it not OK to point that out?

It's a cartoon. Deal with it.

Let's say Rush Limbaugh said something stupid and anti-Democratic. Not only would we know it's a day that ends in "y," but according to conservatives he's an "entertainer" not a newscast. Now if you can show me how a cartoon with a talking dog is a "newscast," by all means do it.

So, as they said, it should disappear.

Yes, we should get rid of all entertainment that is for or against a particular political party. There goes MSNBC and Fox....

Seems like a good place for this:

Bill Whittle's 7 part series "What We Believe" is very good at making the Tea Party argument. You don't have to agree with it, but if you want to actually understand the core concepts of American Tea Party rather than the 3 color tee-shirt caricature version pushed by MSNBC then these 7 short videos are a good start.

Part 1: Small Government, Free Enterprise

Part 2: The Problem with Elitism

Part 3: Wealth Creation

Part 4: Natural Law

Part 5: Gun Rights

Part 6: Immigration

Part 7: American Exceptionalism

It goes deeper than that. I strongly recommend CONFLICT OF VISIONS by Thomas Sowell as the first deep dive into more formal conservative philosophy.

Mant wont watch if its a threat to their beliefs.

It's a cartoon. Deal with it.

Let's say Rush Limbaugh said something stupid and anti-Democratic. Not only would we know it's a day that ends in "y," but according to conservatives he's an "entertainer" not a newscast. Now if you can show me how a cartoon with a talking dog is a "newscast," by all means do it.

You seem to assert that this post is simply in the wrong thread; I have my doubts about that as well. Absent presenting the point of the OP then we are simply left to guess what it may be. ;)

Sorry, but I think it is hilarious and dead funny.

Me: Sorry, didn't realize you folks still exist

Peter Venkman: Bad mouth OUR fans will you! (pulls out shotgun)

(Enter Miley Cyrus in teddy bear costume, half drunk)

Miley: Heeey, yeah... don'you go bad mouthin' Peter... he's a really class act! (tongue hangs out as she scratches ass with foam finger)

Drunk Dog: I could help you with that... or if you were just a little more flexible you could help yourself.

Peter: (Thinks it over and shoots Miley Cyrus)

(Enter Billy Rae Cyrus)

Billy Rae: OH! My Achey brea*

(Peter shoots Billy Rae)

Drunk Dog: All told that was for the best.

Miley: I'm so hopped up on PCP and heroin that I won't officially be dead for days.

(Enter Keith Richards)

Richards: Or ever! (Spooky music as Richards throws his cape around himself, turns into a bat and flies out the door)

(Peter looks wide eyed out the door at the departing Keith Richards as he shoots Miley again without looking at her)

Me: Ah jeeze... if I wanted cartoonish pop-culture references I'd watch TMZ

Aaaaaand scene.

Like the people who don't watch "Family Guy" because it's "anti-Republican?"

No, not like that at all. Family Guy is intended to be a comedy whereas the Bill Whittle videos posted are intended to be informative.

I think most left leaning people would prefer programs like Family Guy. It's another reason why Barrack Obama said that Americans would be considered juveniles until they are 26. He knows his audience.

Yes, we should get rid of all entertainment that is for or against a particular political party. There goes MSNBC and Fox....

I said it wasn't entertaining, so that kills CNN.

Back
Top Bottom