• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bill O'Reilly, will you accept Kristof's challenge?

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Nicholas Kristof has issued a challenge to Bill O'Reilly in response to his making a huge deal out of this alleged "war on Christmas." Kristof has stated the following, in part:

After I suggested in last Sunday's column that a better way to honor the season might be to stand up to genocide in Darfur (a calamity that Mr. O'Reilly has ignored), Mr. O'Reilly denounced me on his show as a "left-wing ideologue." Bless you, Mr. O'Reilly, and Merry Christmas to you, too! . . .

So I have a challenge for Mr. O'Reilly: If you really want to defend traditional values, then come with me on a trip to Darfur. I'll introduce you to mothers who have had their babies clubbed to death in front of them, to teenage girls who have been gang-raped and then mutilated - and to the government-armed thugs who do these things.

You'll have to leave your studio, Bill. You'll encounter pure evil. If you're like me, you'll be scared. If you try to bully some of the goons in Darfur, they'll just hack your head off. But you'll also meet some genuine conservative Christians - aid workers who live the Gospel instead of sputtering about it - and you'll finally be using your talents for an important cause.

So, Bill, what'll it be? Will you dare travel to a real war against Christmas values, in which the victims aren't offended shoppers but terrified children thrown on bonfires? I'm waiting to hear.

http://select.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/opinion/18kristof.html?hp

Kristof is a moron. Bill O'Reilly has done plenty of good in the past with his show. While he hasn't actually gone to the third world countries, he has advocated for many worthwhile causes. For example, he's pushed for national minimum sentences for sex offenders.

George_Washington said:
Kristof is a moron. Bill O'Reilly has done plenty of good in the past with his show. While he hasn't actually gone to the third world countries, he has advocated for many worthwhile causes. For example, he's pushed for national minimum sentences for sex offenders.

Yeah, and his 'boycott' against france which cost them 'billions of dollars'

http://mediamatters.org/items/200405020006

I'll believe you, George, if O'Reilly actually accepts Kristof's offer and leaves his 'Factor' ivory tower and did something other than complain to people like me everyday.

He may have pushed for minimum sentences for sex offenders, but boy did he lie and push his right wing agenda the whole way there:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200509140009

My favorite part of Kristof's article:
"But you'll also meet some genuine conservative Christians - aid workers who live the Gospel instead of sputtering about it"

That sputtering comment encapsulates O'Reilly's on air performance in an extremely eloquant nutshell. I simply love it.

George_Washington said:
Kristof is a moron.
So what? Is he "less of a man' because of it? what the hell does Kristof being a mormon have to do with it????? Are we being religiously intolerant?
Bill O'Reilly has done plenty of good in the past with his show. While he hasn't actually gone to the third world countries, he has advocated for many worthwhile causes. For example, he's pushed for national minimum sentences for sex offenders.
Well, if he is about doing good things, shouldn't he accept the challenge then???
How does his past doings of good have anything to do with him accepting the challenge of doing some REAL work in the "war on Christmas"???

Caine said:
So what? Is he "less of a man' because of it? what the hell does Kristof being a mormon have to do with it????? Are we being religiously intolerant?

lol.

I said, "moron" not, "mormon".

Well, if he is about doing good things, shouldn't he accept the challenge then???
How does his past doings of good have anything to do with him accepting the challenge of doing some REAL work in the "war on Christmas"???

I don't see why he has to accept this challenge when The Catholic Church already has plenty of people going overseas to do good works. It'd be nice if he went but if he doesn't, I don't see why that makes him any less of a person. I doubt many people would go to an impoverished country, anyhow.

I wonder if Mister Kristof has equally made this challenge to those who've felt that saving Tookie Williams was more imprtant than Dalfur...

Or maybe ask Kanye West if he's up to the challenge...If he says "no", can Kristof say that Kanye just doesn't like black people?...

One person makes a challenge to another person...why is the onus on the one being challenged?...Why O'Reilly?...Kristof could've made this challenge to Franken or Rhodes with equal aplomb...

No...This isn't about the Sudan...This is one pundit pi$$ed at another and trying to make himself look better by making someone else look worse...nothing more...It's a side argument to get the name in the paper...

If he really wanted to make a difference, he could easily call out the Hollywood elite and challenge them for 7-figure checks to go to the refugee centers in Sudan to help those same people he wants O'Reilly to see...

I don't think anyone here would disagree that this would make much more of a difference...

Kristof would never do that...It would've serve his actual purpose...

George_Washington said:
lol.

I said, "moron" not, "mormon".

I don't see why he has to accept this challenge when The Catholic Church already has plenty of people going overseas to do good works. It'd be nice if he went but if he doesn't, I don't see why that makes him any less of a person. I doubt many people would go to an impoverished country, anyhow.

Lol... I understand he gives much if not all the proceeds from online sales Factor Gear to charity... What charity I don't know.

Caine said:
You are one to talk concerning tolerance... I've read some of your posts.

Apostle13 said:
You are one to talk concerning tolerance... I've read some of your posts.

And, what exactly in my posts are intolerant??
Lets see, I disagree with talk of Jesus cause Jews don't believe in him... no different from an Athiest not believing claims of god, because they don't believe.....
I disagree with Ministries that try to convert Jews, like the "Jews for Jesus" movement.
I point out hypocracy of the peaceful teachings of Jesus like the link in my signature and other websites, like that of the KKK's favorite Ministry.

I may have slipped up and said something that showed intolerance, maybe you could point it out to me, cause I don't remember it. Not saying your wrong..

cnredd said:
I wonder if Mister Kristof has equally made this challenge to those who've felt that saving Tookie Williams was more imprtant than Dalfur...
The man is a murderer, he got the punishment he deserved
Or maybe ask Kanye West if he's up to the challenge...If he says "no", can Kristof say that Kanye just doesn't like black people?...
Kanye West is an idiot who was trying to stir up problems with race relations, I hope this example of speaking out hurts his career (which it won't)

His "purpose" was to mock O'Riley for making a big deal about his made up "War on Christmas" when there are REAL "wars on christians" going on. He was trying to make O'Riley look like an ass for making a big deal of something so small in comparison to a real problem with Christians.

Ive been reading the book "War on Christmas" by John Gibson.
I have to say, the things that are being complained about in there is the more ignorant thing ive ever heard.
Some of the problems that he talks about are unfair, but its not like Christians aren't unfair to non-christians in other parts of the country, in fact, Im certain Christians are unfair to non-christians more often in this country than the other way around. Isolated incidents happen on both sides, and its nothing to cry and whine about.

Caine said:
He was trying to make O'Riley look like an ass for making a big deal of something so small in comparison to a real problem with Christians.

Compare this to my last comment...

cnredd said:
No...This isn't about the Sudan...This is one pundit pi$$ed at another and trying to make himself look better by making someone else look worse...nothing more...It's a side argument to get the name in the paper...
It seems we're in agreement...

But the overall argument is still rediculous...

Some people ARE offended in this Christmas thing...And others are willing to "mock" their feelings and say "You say you are offended...You're not allowed to be offended because I believe it's stupid."...

I agree that the situation in the Sudan is far more important than arguments for or against holiday terms...But it's also much more important than 50 million other things too...

I think we're in agreement that Kristof is saying, "Why deal with a petty issue when there are more important things to do."...

If that is truly the case, he should equally be saying it to anyone who cries foul when a public school teacher wears a cross on their lapel, or wishes the Pledge of Allegance to be revised, or wants a nativity scence on public grounds to be removed...

He could've easily went to Howard Stern and say, "Why argue about the FCC?...That's as equally petty as O'Reilly's "war on Christmas"...Why not come down to the Sudan with me and see how people are REALLY oppressed!"...

Once again...it wouldn't serve his purpose, which has nothing to do with the Sudan...The purpose is to (paraphrasing your words) "make someone look like an ass."...

And he's using an atrocity to make it...How noble...:roll:

cnredd said:
Compare this to my last comment...

It seems we're in agreement...

But the overall argument is still rediculous...

Some people ARE offended in this Christmas thing...And others are willing to "mock" their feelings and say "You say you are offended...You're not allowed to be offended because I believe it's stupid."...

I agree that the situation in the Sudan is far more important than arguments for or against holiday terms...But it's also much more important than 50 million other things too...

I think we're in agreement that Kristof is saying, "Why deal with a petty issue when there are more important things to do."...

If that is truly the case, he should equally be saying it to anyone who cries foul when a public school teacher wears a cross on their lapel, or wishes the Pledge of Allegance to be revised, or wants a nativity scence on public grounds to be removed...

He could've easily went to Howard Stern and say, "Why argue about the FCC?...That's as equally petty as O'Reilly's "war on Christmas"...Why not come down to the Sudan with me and see how people are REALLY oppressed!"...

Once again...it wouldn't serve his purpose, which has nothing to do with the Sudan...The purpose is to (paraphrasing your words) "make someone look like an ass."...

And he's using an atrocity to make it...How noble...:roll:

I don't say I agree with him.
But I understand what he is trying to do.
And, its not all that humorous.

cnredd said:

One person makes a challenge to another person...why is the onus on the one being challenged?...Why O'Reilly?...Kristof could've made this challenge to Franken or Rhodes with equal aplomb...

If he really wanted to make a difference, he could easily call out the Hollywood elite and challenge them for 7-figure checks to go to the refugee centers in Sudan to help those same people he wants O'Reilly to see...

I don't think anyone here would disagree that this would make much more of a difference...

Kristof would never do that...It would've serve his actual purpose...

The reason he chose O'Reilly is because O'Reilly attacked him (Kristof) on his show when Kristof said he (O'Reilly) should put his energy into something that really matters. So his challenge to O'Reilly isn't just out of nowhere--it relates to a conversation they had on national TV.

I would be surprised if anyone thought that addressing an alleged war on Christmas is far more important than addressing genocide in Darfur.

Would anyone care to disagree?

George_Washington said:

You're kidding me right? Kristof, a moron? Can you explain?

I don't usually agree with him, but I would hardly call Kristof a moron.

O'Reilly has admitted to lying about "banned red and green clothes" Plano story. I wish O'Really would apologize for calling them fascists too.

cnredd said:

When you are debating Tookie, you are also debating the death penalty. It's so rare that the corporate media pays any attention to that issue. I was happy to see it get some play.

As we speak Franken is supporting the troops on a USO tour, but your missing the point.

Kristof was calling O'Really on putting up this strawman, then trying to knock it down. It's a non-issue that exists only in the minds of Faux Newz sheep. O'Really could be doing some actual good in the holiday season if he wanted to.

hipsterdufus said:
O'Really could be doing some actual good in the holiday season if he wanted to.

Why do that when he can attempt to tear this nation apart based on different religious views?

Back
Top Bottom