• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannitty are awesome news reporter

freedom69714

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"NOT"A lot you know if you think Bill Reilly or Sean Hannitty are news reporters they are not they are news commentators their is a huge difference.

I hate to hurt your little bittie feelings, I hope I didn't burst your bubble I know a lot of you think Bill & Sean are gods you think, they walk on water ,

They are just like talk show host on the radio a bunch of hot air nothing more

I willing to bet most of Bill & Sean's and fox die hard's never listen to the news ...........This is why it is so easy for FOX to brain wash a lot of you telling you they are fair and balanced "YA RIGHT"

There are slanted reports in the media on both the left and right obviously.

John_kerry_T_Shirt.sized.jpg
[/IMG]

I have never seen either. I have heard of them.
I am surprised that you would call them news reporters I have always understood them to be opinionists and bullies.
If you find them to be news reporters I suppose that helps us understand your point of view.

I love Hannity and Colmes. I listen to them on conservitive radio every day that I can. My dad is the kind of guy that thinks that Hannity and Colmes are the greatest ever.

Re: Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity are awesome news reporters

Ugh. Hannity is the biggest cry-baby I've heard on conservative radio. We (conservatives) never get our side reported in the mainstream media, those liberals have taken over, blah blah blah. Come on, guy! You have your conservative pres, congress, etc. Why on earth do you think you've been short-handed?

And then there's Alan Colmes. He's got to be the weakest, squirliest liberal on the radio. But no shock there, he is paid by FOX News. What conservative media outlet would want a real lib on their airwaves?

But Bill O'Reilly...does anyone support him? I have yet to find one conservative who doesn't see him as arrogant and annoying.

I personally think Al Franken (Air America Radio) has a great show. Not all this yelling or whinning you get from the conservative talk-shows. Plus he takes truth-telling very seriously.

But if you want *news* from actual reporters try NPR.

Last edited:
Re: Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity are awesome news reporters

KansasMeg said:
Ugh. Hannity is the biggest cry-baby I've heard on conservative radio. We (conservatives) never get our side reported in the mainstream media, those liberals have taken over, blah blah blah. Come on, guy! You have your conservative pres, congress, etc. Why on earth do you think you've been short-handed?

And then there's Alan Colmes. He's got to be the weakest, squirliest liberal on the radio. But no shock there, he is paid by FOX News. What conservative media outlet would want a real lib on their airwaves?

But Bill O'Reilly...does anyone support him? I have yet to find one conservative who doesn't see him as arrogant and annoying.

I personally think Al Franken (Air America Radio) has a great show. Not all this yelling or whinning you get from the conservative talk-shows. Plus he takes truth-telling very seriously.

But if you want *news* from actual reporters try NPR.
I have just stopped reading and watching biased news and have stuck with NPR...and the evil PBS in a scape, but i don't like their style of reporting, so i tend to shy away from them

Fox news gets a lot of it's reputation for conservative reporting from NOT having the usual liberal bias of most outlets. If you actually watch their shows, both sides get represented.

Actual bias is what you see on nearly every other form of written or broadcast media on the planet. But liberals think Fox News can undo the propagandistic effects of a news media under 95% liberal control.

Spare us the steaming load.

And what almost all the "evidence" liberals have to back up their outrageously bold and false charges of a "conservative bias" consists of is examples from OPINION journalists like Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reilly, who all, by definition, are not supposed to be objective reporters.

ACTUAL EXAMPLES of media bias come from news sources that are supposed to be OBJECTIVE.

EXAMPLE: Dan Rather using the words, "well-orchestrated" and, "Republican-backed" to describe a leak that Bill Clinton was about to be indicted in the late 1990s. The next day, a liberal judge appointed by Jimmy Carter admitted to accidentally having leaked the information. THIS would be an example of ACTUAL media bias, which ACTUALLY does harm. Sean Hannity stating that he doesn't support Hillary Clinton is an example of an OPINION journalist stating an OPINION.

Why can't liberals ever grasp the difference between Opinion journalists and Objective journalists?

Last edited:
Why can't liberals ever grasp the difference between Opinion journalists and Objective journalists?
Get used to the Fox bashing here, Aquapub. The left will try to discredit what you say if you even admit to watching Fox. If you don't watch the media they approve of as legitimate, you are labeled as "uninformed".

Liberals DO know the difference between opinion and objective journalists. The reporters/anchor persons on FOX News portray themselves as objective journalists, when in fact they are not. Not saying it is wrong for them to be "opinion journalists" or pundits, that's perfectly fine. Heck, the liberals have Air America. It's just that Fox says "we report, you decide" and describe themselves as "fair and balanced" which clearly they are not. That's misguiding the viewer.

You would roll your eyes at someone who constantly quotes Al Franken, Jon Stewart, etc... as if they are objective reporters. So why shouldn't Liberals question the legitimacy of "news" that comes from the FOX News network?

BTW, is there a news outlet that the majority of Liberals and conservatives could agree is, for the most part, unbiased? I tend to look at NPR (radio), PBS (tv), and the Associated Press releases (print) as mostly unbiased.

QUOTE:
Fox news gets a lot of it's reputation for conservative reporting from NOT having the usual liberal bias of most outlets. If you actually watch their shows, both sides get represented.

Not true. Rupert Murdock, owner of News Corp. which includes the Fox News cable network, sends a daily memo/agenda to the producers at Fox News. These memo's give orders to highlight any scandals within the Democratic party and to make news (positive news) about GWB even on days where basically nothing newsworthy about the pres is occuring. There is a clear Republican/Conservative agenda over there at Fox News, no doubt about it. And like I said before, that's fine. But they need to be forthright about their intentions. Calling themselves "Fox: News for Conservative America" or something along those lines would be much more honest. Portraying yourself as a legitimate news channel is misleading. Its amazing how many out there think they are getting honest, unbiased news from that channel.

QUOTE:
Actual bias is what you see on nearly every other form of written or broadcast media on the planet. But liberals think Fox News can undo the propagandistic effects of a news media under 95% liberal control.

So 95% of the news media is controlled by liberals, eh? Could you please tell me where you got that figure and what sort of research was done to come up with that number. Truely, I'd love to see it.

Liberals DO know the difference between opinion and objective journalists. The reporters/anchor persons on FOX News portray themselves as objective journalists, when in fact they are not. Not saying it is wrong for them to be "opinion journalists" or pundits, that's perfectly fine. Heck, the liberals have Air America. It's just that Fox says "we report, you decide" and describe themselves as "fair and balanced" which clearly they are not. That's misguiding the viewer.
I am having a great deal of enjoyment from the lefts outrage over the Fox News Channel. You become so incensed over the “Fair and Balanced” motto. If they don’t spout the News you agree with it isn’t fair. If they don’t give equal time to some left winger minute by minute, they are not balanced. Cry me a river. :2bigcry:
What would fair and balanced look like in your superior world view?

Are you reading these posts, Squawker? You seem to be totally missing the point. I know you already have it in your mind that liberals are nothing more than crybabies who get outraged by the right-wing view. And this stereotype is so ingrained in you that you totally misread the posts. Let's review, shall we? I will answer your post with points I had already made BEFORE you "responded". Try to keep up.

Squawker says:
I am having a great deal of enjoyment from the lefts outrage over the Fox News Channel. You become so incensed over the “Fair and Balanced” motto. If they don’t spout the News you agree with it isn’t fair.

KansasMeg had already explained:
The reporters/anchor persons on FOX News portray themselves as objective journalists, when in fact they are not. [I am] not saying it is wrong for them to be "opinion journalists" or pundits, that's perfectly fine. Heck, the liberals have Air America.

Ya, I sounded pretty darn outraged there, didn't I.

Squawker says:
If they don’t spout the News you agree with it isn’t fair. If they don’t give equal time to some left winger minute by minute, they are not balanced.

True, if FOX gives more time to Republicans than Democrats it IS unblananced. But that doesn't bother me. Give all the time you want to Republicans. Heck, give them 100% of the broadcast time. I woundn't expect Air America to give Republicans 50% of the air time, so why should I expect anything more from Fox? Like I had said...

There is a clear Republican/Conservative agenda over there at Fox News, no doubt about it. And like I said before, that's fine. But they need to be forthright about their intentions.

Are you getting it yet, Squawker?

The only problem I have with Fox News is that they misrepresent themselves. They portray themselves as "fair and balanced" when they truely are not. And this misrepresentation leads some viewers to believe they are watching unbiased news. I am NOT upset with the greater coverage by Republicans rather than Democrats. I am NOT upset that they spout the news I don't agree with.

Now that you've got the message clear, got a better response?

And by the way, Squawker, in case you can't tell, I'm not mad, outraged or crying over this at all. In fact, I'm having fun. :wink:

Last edited:
KansasMeg had already explained:
The reporters/anchor persons on FOX News portray themselves as objective journalists, when in fact they are not. [I am] not saying it is wrong for them to be "opinion journalists" or pundits, that's perfectly fine. Heck, the liberals have Air America.
That is your opinion, not fact. They have Democrat and Republican reporters, journalists, and political pundits.
Ya, I sounded pretty darn outraged there, didn't I.
You are but one speck in the left wing political spectrum. I didn't speak to you specifically.
Squawker says:
If they don’t spout the News you agree with it isn’t fair. If they don’t give equal time to some left winger minute by minute, they are not balanced.
True, if FOX gives more time to Republicans than Democrats it IS unblananced. But that doesn't bother me. Give all the time you want to Republicans. Heck, give them 100% of the broadcast time. I woundn't expect Air America to give Republicans 50% of the air time, so why should I expect anything more from Fox? Like I had said...
Do you keep track of the minutes? How do you know they don’t give equal time? Does Al Franken tell you? Lol Of course it bothers you, or you wouldn’t mention it.
There is a clear Republican/Conservative agenda over there at Fox News, no doubt about it. And like I said before, that's fine. But they need to be forthright about their intentions.
There is a clear agenda to present both sides of the issues. You would have to have a chart of how much time they give to both sides to say they are not balanced. Do you have any links to that information, or are you just pulling stats out of thin air?
Are you getting it yet, Squawker?
Of course I am. You are just another leftie spouting off about Fox.
The only problem I have with Fox News is that they misrepresent themselves. They portray themselves as "fair and balanced" when they truely are not. And this misrepresentation leads some viewers to believe they are watching unbiased news. I am NOT upset with the greater coverage by Republicans rather than Democrats. I am NOT upset that they spout the news I don't agree with.
Fox doesn't misrepresent themselves, the left wing political groups do that. They don't want you to believe anything you might hear on Fox that exposes their lies.
Now that you've got the message clear, got a better response?
I got the message the first time, and I didn't learn anything new the second time.
What would you call fair and balanced?

Squawker said:
I got the message the first time, and I didn't learn anything new the second time.
Really quickly, debate is not saying something purposefully to annoy the other side, as you have been doing Squak. That doesn't make for fruitful conversation, debate, anything.

Now, what would I call fair and balanced. I wouldn't call it any of the current places that we have. Fair and Balanced would be exactly what an NPR show called "Left, Right and Center" is. It wouldn't have Republicans and Democrats, it would have liberals, moderates and conservatives. Just the temrs Democrat and Republican can be deceiving because you could have a conservative Democrat or liberal Republican-it doesn't make for always correct discussion.

Left Right and Center is exactly what Fair And Balanced is supposed to be. A frank discussion of the issues without voices being raised at each other, shouting above each other. If you have one from each viewpoint, you have counters, agreements, and compromises, which makes for a very frank and honest debate. That is what i call fair and balanced, not the crap on Fox or Msnbc or CNN. However much I enjoy some of those things for the novelty of it, I don't believe any of it is Fair And Balanced.

Really quickly, debate is not saying something purposefully to annoy the other side, as you have been doing Squak. That doesn't make for fruitful conversation, debate, anything.
HUH?
Fair and Balanced would be exactly what an NPR show called "Left, Right and Center" is. It wouldn't have Republicans and Democrats, it would have liberals, moderates and conservatives. Just the temrs Democrat and Republican can be deceiving because you could have a conservative Democrat or liberal Republican-it doesn't make for always correct discussion.
I don't see NPR fair or balanced at all. It is funded by the taxpayers and I seldom hear the conservative voice, but it is interesting to see what you view as fair and balanced.

Squawker said:
HUH?
I don't see NPR fair or balanced at all. It is funded by the taxpayers and I seldom hear the conservative voice, but it is interesting to see what you view as fair and balanced.
I never said NPR was fair and balanced, I said the idea that you have a conservative, liberal, and moderate debate as being the only option i see as fair and balanced. read my posts before you blipping respond. I said that one exact show, not the station was the perfect example of fair and balanced. jeez.

If you don't hear a conservative voice here is why. They report news. They have talk shows on culture. Their few political shows tend to be very moderate to moderate-liberal because that is what their audience is, just as Fox tends to be very conservative because that is what their audience is. Left right and center however is the one example of the truely fair and balanced show.

I said the idea that you have a conservative, liberal, and moderate debate as being the only option i see as fair and balanced. read my posts before you blipping respond.
I read your blipping post, that is why I blipping responded. Whatever that means. You must then agree that Fox is balanced as they allow all sides to have a voice on the issues presented. They may be spread out during the week, but they all have a voice.

Squawker said:
I read your blipping post, that is why I blipping responded. Whatever that means. You must then agree that Fox is balanced as they allow all sides to have a voice on the issues presented. They may be spread out during the week, but they all have a voice.
no, i don't. i don't think that they are that at all. what i think is fair and balanced is having a show where you get all three perspectives. This isn't balanced out over a week. This is balanced out over an hour. Fair and balanced is always being fair and balanced in all your stuff, not just over a weeks course. Nobody is fair and balanced in my opinion.

no, i don't. i don't think that they are that at all. what i think is fair and balanced is having a show where you get all three perspectives. This isn't balanced out over a week. This is balanced out over an hour. Fair and balanced is always being fair and balanced in all your stuff, not just over a weeks course. Nobody is fair and balanced in my opinion.
That seems to be an unreasonable goal for a media outlet, but how would you know Fox doesn't do that if you are not watching every hour, and taking notes of who is interviewed. The people who are questioned during the shows I have seen are usually just labeled as Rebublican or Democrat. They could be conservatives, moderates, or liberals, but that isn't pointed out. There is some programming that is just news, without commentary.

Squawker:
You are but one speck in the left wing political spectrum. I didn't speak to you specifically.

"Speck", nice. Actually, Squawker, you had quoted my entire post within your response. I think that signifies that you were speaking to me specifically. You may not have intended to aim that comment at me, but your posts reads that way.

Squawker:
They have Democrat and Republican reporters, journalists, and political pundits.

True. They do have liberals/democrats in some of their programming. But they are much fewer in number and are less likely to stand up for their points. Basically, weak liberals are brought on to represent that side. For instance, look at Alan Colmes. He's treated like Hannity's pet liberal...merely a token on that show. Like I've said before, that's fine. But that's beside the point. Saying that Fox News does have some liberals on the air does not mean that they can now claim they are "fair and balanced". Air America regularly features some Republicans in their shows. Does this make Air America a "fair and balanced", non-biased radio station. Hell no!

Squawker:
Do you keep track of the minutes? How do you know they don’t give equal time? Does Al Franken tell you? Lol Of course it bothers you, or you wouldn’t mention it.There is a clear agenda to present both sides of the issues. You would have to have a chart of how much time they give to both sides to say they are not balanced. Do you have any links to that information, or are you just pulling stats out of thin air?

For the umpteenth time, what bothers me is that FOX misrepresents itself by using the tag line "fair and balanced". It does not bother me that the liberal side is not represented. I wouldn't expect it to be respresented on a conservative network. That's like getting upset because Rush Limbaugh didn't spend enough time focusing on the good points of Kerry's campaign. That would be stupid.

And as far as media studies on Fox News. There is an organization called FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) which has collected data from the network. I'll include a few clips from one of their studies. This one focused on "Special Report". (See http://www.fair.org//page=1187 for the entire article.)

If Fox is the “fair & balanced” network it claims to be, then the guest list of what Fox calls its “signature news show” ought to reflect a diverse spectrum of ideas and sources. FAIR has studied Special Report ’s guest list on two earlier occasions (Extra! , 7–8/01, 7–8/02).

FAIR’s current study looked at 25 weeks of Special Report ’s one-on-one interview segments (6/30/03–12/19/03), finding 101 guests. FAIR classified each guest by political ideology, party affiliation (where applicable), gender and ethnicity. When FAIR first studied Special Report in 2001, the dominance of conservative guests was so overwhelming (71 percent of all guests) that we used just two ideological categories, “conservative” and “non-conservative.” The latter included guests with no discernible political ideology.

When FAIR’s second study in 2002 found conservative guests had dropped to less than half of the total, we added a “left of center” category for comparison purposes. Though the “left of center” category was more broadly defined than the “conservative” category— since many right-of-center guests were not counted as conservatives—conservatives still outnumbered those on the left, 14 to one.

So Aquapub, where's your data to back up that 95% news media is liberal owned?

And, Squawker, where are your numbers to back up your claim that Fox is indeed "Fair and Balanced"?

Squawker:

"Fair and Balanced" would be a consistent equal amount of time spent on all political sides or stating the news of the day without spin. Am I naive enough to believe any news outlet can claim they are totally fair and balanced? No. The media owners, producers, and reporters are all human with their own preconceived ideas and even if you make an effort, your bias is going to come across. It's near impossible to make sure you give every story a fair amount of coverage or that you even able cover all the news stories out there. For time purposes alone, news sources have to pick and choose what it is they will cover. And when stories, sides of stories, etc are chosen over others there is bias. Now, the Fox News network overwhelmingly chooses the conservative side above all else. Like I said before it would be more honest of them to rewrite their tagline...maybe "Giving Conservative View Its Due Time" or something along those lines. There's nothing wrong with Fox News being a conservative news channel. I just don't understand why they feel the need to try to convince their viewers they are giving both sides fair coverage. Honestly, Squawker, most of the Fox viewers I know watch the channel because of the fact that it supports their conservative view. The fact that conservatives consistently tune in to and defend the Fox News network should tell you something about its "conservativeness". It's yours, own it, embrace it.

Last edited:
True. They do have liberals/democrats in some of their programming. But they are much fewer in number and are less likely to stand up for their points. Basically, weak liberals are brought on to represent that side. For instance, look at Alan Colmes. He's treated like Hannity's pet liberal...merely a token on that show.
Geraldo, Greta Van Sustern, Bob Beckel, John Podesta, and Lanny Davis are just a few of the Democrats that are featured on Fox. None of them are weak in the knees. The Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting study was done for the movie outfoxed. Not all programming is open to debate. The ones that are, have a balance of views.
Squawker, most of the Fox viewers I know watch the channel because of the fact that it supports their conservative view. The fact that conservatives consistently tune in to and defend the Fox News network should tell you something about its "conservativeness". It's yours, own it, embrace it.
lol I watch it because I only have to listen to liberals whine 50 percent of the time vs 100 percent of the time. I like the format and informality of Fox. They have fun and aren't into the gloom and doom of the liberal channels. Try it, you might learn something. :2razz:

Last edited:
And, once again, I ask you...where are the numbers to prove that Fox News is indeed "fair and balanced". To make such a claim as that gives the channel the burden of proof. You'd think Fox would want to proudly display numbers that back this up. Naming off a few of the Dems represented on Fox does nothing to back up this claim. I have already stated that Fox does indeed include dems/libs in their programming. That's not the issue.

By the way, what are these liberal news channels of gloom and doom you mention? Can you name off a few? Maybe you see these programs as downers or boring because they simply state the new without fluff and spin.

Last edited:
"Fair and Balanced" would be a consistent equal amount of time spent on all political sides or stating the news of the day without spin.
How would you suggest I prove that to your satisfaction? Both sides spin equally and both sides have a voice on Fox. What more is required?

Back
Top Bottom