• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bill O'Reilly an Anti-Semite and more?

jallman said:
Okay, well indulge me for just a moment then. What do you expect them to think when they see Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell and a new pope who was practically a Nazi AND all this coming right on the coat tails of the eighties and nineties televangelist scandals AND further swept up in the middle of the catholic sex abuse scandals? It is with a heavy concern that I confess that the face of Christianity is not so pleasant these days but it is in our power to turn the tide. We will only do so through understanding and limitless kindness and tolerance. True Christians are in no place to adopt the tactics of the moral majority...it is in our best interest to distance ourselves from such nonsense in both word and deed.

Those folks are the devil in sheep's clothing, that is my belief. They steal from the faithful, and preach a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. You can't possibly look at all the Christians across this great land, and compare them to these rotten few, can you?:confused:

jallman said:
The truth of the matter is, there is no culture war directed at Christmas or Christianity. There may be a couple of minor scuffles between the ACLU and some random school or organization from time to time, but the ACLU represents both sides. There is, however, a blatant spin placed on a non issue by a sensational media and a few small fringe groups on either side. The bottom line is simple...everyone is free to practice his or her religion at the appropriate times and in the appropriate places. There is no state sponsorship or endorsement of ANY religion. Our society is inclusive and accepting of all faiths without bias or prejudice or scorn. There simply is no war on Christianity.

And to the starter of this thread...I dont like O'Reilly one bit...but the anti semite assertion was completely tasteless.

Well thanks I think.

Deegan said:
Those folks are the devil in sheep's clothing, that is my belief. They steal from the faithful, and preach a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. You can't possibly look at all the Christians across this great land, and compare them to these rotten few, can you?:confused:

No I dont...and that was kind of my point. you and I and any good Christian know better...but to those who dont, these bastards are the face of our good religion. Its the same thing I complain about the gay activist groups...not all gay men act the way you see at parades, but these are the most vocal and get the most exposure. The bad elements are always going to have the limelight...gay or christian or muslim and so on and so on...

Deegan said:
The both of you are constantly trying to insist that I am trying to say that we should be a Christian nation by law, I am not, that was tried, and failed miserably. I am merely talking about the fine Christian principles that made us such a great nation, and it was those principles that were the catalyst for this fine document. You non-believers feel left out in all of this, I understand that, but we still accept you, and there is plenty of time left to get right with God.;)

Well I'm not against Christianity.

I just want you folks to stop trying to shove it down my throat by telling me that there is a war against you when clearly everywhere I go I see a church or something about God or someone on T.V. telling me I'm going to hell because I believe in something different.

I don't care about your churches or your God but you keep hitting me in my home and in my mail box. Where is it that you go and see a building where people practice my belief? When has someone insisted that there is no heaven or hell except for here on earth and that when you die you will live again as someone else? Have I come to your door to preach about how if you don't do good in this life you may find that next time you live you might be a spider doomed to suck the life from another insect until you are squashed?

You don't see these things regularily and when you do you just look at the believers with a condecending smirk and move on.

Saboteur said:

I just want you folks to stop trying to shove it down my throat by telling me that there is a war against you when clearly everywhere I go I see a church or something about God or someone on T.V. telling me I'm going to hell because I believe in something different.

I don't care about your churches or your God but you keep hitting me in my home and in my mail box. Where is it that you go and see a building where people practice my belief? When has someone insisted that there is no heaven or hell except for here on earth and that when you die you will live again as someone else? Have I come to your door to preach about how if you don't do good in this life you may find that next time you live you might be a spider doomed to suck the life from another insect until you are squashed?

You don't see these things regularily and when you do you just look at the believers with a condecending smirk and move on.

Trust me, most churches do not come to your house, or even send you junk mail. I know the Jehovah witnesses you are referring to, and they are annoying, I believe they do cross the line. And those fire breathing Baptists, screaming that "you're going to hell, eternal damnation" they are also a small minority, and also very annoying. I don't go to church, unless it's a baptism, or marriage ceremony, I pray at home, and with my family, the church has become something that it should not be. It seems today, it's mostly about buying the head of said church, a new BMW.:roll:

Deegan said:
Trust me, most churches do not come to your house, or even send you junk mail. I know the Jehovah witnesses you are referring to, and they are annoying, I believe they do cross the line. And those fire breathing Baptists, screaming that "you're going to hell, eternal damnation" they are also a small minority, and also very annoying. I don't go to church, unless it's a baptism, or marriage ceremony, I pray at home, and with my family, the church has become something that it should not be. It seems today, it's mostly about buying the head of said church, a new BMW.:roll:

Your live and let live attitude is a little confusing considering what you said at the beginning of the thread:

Deegan said:
This is, and always will be, a Judeo-Christian nation, if you can't handle that fact, get the hell out!

There is nothing wrong with that fact, it is what it is, and people need to come to terms with that, or like I said, find somewhere else to live. The war on Christmas was real, but these huge corporations heard the people, and acted accordingly. This was really my biggest problem, the fact that some of these huge chains wanted to force their employees in to not mentioning Christmas, as if there was something wrong with it. Yet, they were just fine with stuffing their greedy pockets for all that the holiday brings them! You probably wouldn't notice what was happening, had you never really cared to understand the season, and the holiday, with all it's tradition, and meaning. This is clear from those here that want desperately to believe there was no culture war, you're just ignorant, or on the other side of the debate, and refuse to acknowledge it.:roll:

So which is it? Are the christians trying to push their belief on others wrong or is their a cultural war going on?

Kelzie said:
Your live and let live attitude is a little confusing considering what you said at the beginning of the thread:

So which is it? Are the christians trying to push their belief on others wrong or is their a cultural war going on?

Some Christians share their belief, some, a small minority push. My last statement was a facetious one, I explained it in the next post you put here in your own retort. Is there some reason you are trying to bait me, because I love to play, if that is indeed your intention.;)

Deegan said:
Some Christians share their belief, some, a small minority push. My last statement was a facetious one, I explained it in the next post you put here in your own retort. Is there some reason you are trying to bait me, because I love to play, if that is indeed your intention.;)

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. First you get all upset because we are trying to say it's not a christian nation, then you are condemning the christians who preach to non-christians. It doesn't mesh well in my mind....:lol:

Kelzie said:
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. First you get all upset because we are trying to say it's not a christian nation, then you are condemning the christians who preach to non-christians. It doesn't mesh well in my mind....:lol:

I explained that, we are a nation built on Christian principles, but it's obvious religion was left out of our constitution, I would not have it any other way. Still, to insist that we did not have these values in mind when we created the constitution, this is unreasonable, and absolutely incorrect. We would be no better off then these Muslim countries had we forced this religion, any religion, I don't need some annoying liberal to remind me of that. I also don't appreciate some know it all "progressive" discrediting the good that these values have brought to this great land, it's just unreasonable, and often hateful to be so dismissive.

I hope that helps.;)

Deegan said:
I explained that, we are a nation built on Christian principles, but it's obvious religion was left out of our constitution, I would not have it any other way. Still, to insist that we did not have these values in mind when we created the constitution, this is unreasonable, and absolutely incorrect. We would be no better off then these Muslim countries had we forced this religion, any religion, I don't need some annoying liberal to remind me of that. I also don't appreciate some know it all "progressive" discrediting the good that these values have brought to this great land, it's just unreasonable, and often hateful to be so dismissive.

I hope that helps.;)

Nooooo....it doesn't :lol:

If you think we were founded on Christian principles, but that it is not supposed to be in our government, why would you even care if there was a war on Christmas?

Kelzie said:
Nooooo....it doesn't :lol:

If you think we were founded on Christian principles, but that it is not supposed to be in our government, why would you even care if there was a war on Christmas?

It is in our government, every morning in prayer, before we pass this nations laws in congress. It's in our government when politicians run on Christian principles, it's in our government everywhere, everyday, some cross the line, and they are addressed. Still, it's always there, and the fact that it remains, without being forced on people, this makes me smile.:smile:

Deegan said:
It is in our government, every morning in prayer, before we pass this nations laws in congress. It's in our government when politicians run on Christian principles, it's in our government everywhere, everyday, some cross the line, and they are addressed. Still, it's always there, and the fact that it remains, without being forced on people, this makes me smile.:smile:

So how is that different then a Muslim country forcing their religion on their people?

Kelzie said:
So how is that different then a Muslim country forcing their religion on their people?

Puhlease, do I have to go through that with you, I think you know very well how things are forced on folks in those countries, not to mention the awful things done to people in the name of this religion.:roll:

I'll just assume you were looking to bait me, well........I hope it was as good for you, as it was for me.;)

Deegan said:
Puhlease, do I have to go through that with you, I think you know very well how things are forced on folks in those countries, not to mention the awful things done to people in the name of this religion.:roll:

I'll just assume you were looking to bait me, well........I hope it was as good for you, as it was for me.;)

I'm not baiting you. I'm serious. Take Pakistan. They're, what, like 95% Islam? They allow other religions too, but Islam is specifically mentioned in their constititution and used by their government. What's the difference?

Kelzie said:
I'm not baiting you. I'm serious. Take Pakistan. They're, what, like 95% Islam? They allow other religions too, but Islam is specifically mentioned in their constititution and used by their government. What's the difference?

They do, since when? Ever hear of the burning of Christian churches in those places, have you heard of the reverse being done here? Of course not, they are not accepting of other religions, we are, and when did I say it was pushed on anyone here? There you go again, I have made that more then clear in this discussion.:confused:

Deegan said:
I explained that, we are a nation built on Christian principles, but it's obvious religion was left out of our constitution, I would not have it any other way. Still, to insist that we did not have these values in mind when we created the constitution, this is unreasonable, and absolutely incorrect.

On what basis? I've said it at least 3-4 times, the American Revolution was sparked entirely by the thinking and philosophies of the Enlightenment. Please show some evidence otherwise.

Deegan said:
They do, since when? Ever hear of the burning of Christian churches in those places, have you heard of the reverse being done here? Of course not, they are not accepting of other religions, we are, and when did I say it was pushed on anyone here? There you go again, I have made that more then clear in this discussion.:confused:

Not in Pakistan I haven't. And if any burning went on, it wasn't from the government. So how are they pushing their religion on Christians living there by merely endorsing it?

Engimo said:
On what basis? I've said it at least 3-4 times, the American Revolution was sparked entirely by the thinking and philosophies of the Enlightenment. Please show some evidence otherwise.

On the basis of how our country has turned out, and how many Christians there are here, how many churches, how many Americans believe in God. To hear you explain it, the "Enlightened" should have had us all brainwashed by now, and kneeling at the alter of the ACLU.:rofl

Again, you are suggesting that intelligent folks don't buy in to this imaginary man in the sky, and all of us believers, we are just confused mental cases.:roll:

americanwoman said:
Interesting post. I never thought of that but it's true. Christians act like no one is tolerant of them but they are intolerant of lots of things.

Im Catholic but I completely agree. For example I think it was stupid for some Wal-Mart to require workers to say happy holidays and not merry christman. IMO it does not make a difference what they say to me since it is in good spirit. But I thought it was also stupid that so many Christians started boy-cotting Wal-Mart for something so little. So when it comes to the "THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS" I think both sides are wrong. Wal-Mart should let employees say Merry Christmas if they want and if the person ends up sayin Happy Holidays anyway all the christians shouldn't say they are trying to get rid of christianity.

Saboteur said:

Amen, Saboteur....amen! :bravo:

thapcballa said:
Im Catholic but I completely agree. For example I think it was stupid for some Wal-Mart to require workers to say happy holidays and not merry christman. IMO it does not make a difference what they say to me since it is in good spirit. But I thought it was also stupid that so many Christians started boy-cotting Wal-Mart for something so little. So when it comes to the "THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS" I think both sides are wrong. Wal-Mart should let employees say Merry Christmas if they want and if the person ends up sayin Happy Holidays anyway all the christians shouldn't say they are trying to get rid of christianity.

Walmart and other companies wanted to use Happy Holidays so as to not offend any of their customers and attract the most number of customers. Saying Merry Christmas limits to whom that applies. Saying Happy Holidays is expansive and does not remotely limit to whom that applies. I agree with you in that as long as it's said cheerfully, it shouldn't matter. However, for those who boycotted stores because they didn't say Merry Christmas, I pity them. They see it as it's their way or the highway, which I find rather pathetic. It doesn't take away their right to say Merry Christmas. And if they bought a gift in a store that doesn't say "Merry Christmas," does that mean that you didn't purchase a Christmas gift? Nope.

Those who are comfortable with their religion and the celebrations of their religion wouldn't care one way or another as to how someone wishes you a happy holiday.

Deegan said:
On the basis of how our country has turned out, and how many Christians there are here, how many churches, how many Americans believe in God. To hear you explain it, the "Enlightened" should have had us all brainwashed by now, and kneeling at the alter of the ACLU.:rofl

Again, you are suggesting that intelligent folks don't buy in to this imaginary man in the sky, and all of us believers, we are just confused mental cases.:roll:

Haha, what are you talking about? I said nothing of the sort. The fact of the matter is that the United States was not historically founded on Judeo-Christian principles - and I have a sneaking suspicion that you have no idea what The Enlightenment actually was. It's not a statement about the validity of religion, it's a factual historical statement that talks about the principles behind the Constitution.

Perhaps you should actually look at what I am talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enlightenment

aps said:
Walmart and other companies wanted to use Happy Holidays so as to not offend any of their customers and attract the most number of customers. Saying Merry Christmas limits to whom that applies. Saying Happy Holidays is expansive and does not remotely limit to whom that applies. I agree with you in that as long as it's said cheerfully, it shouldn't matter. However, for those who boycotted stores because they didn't say Merry Christmas, I pity them. They see it as it's their way or the highway, which I find rather pathetic. It doesn't take away their right to say Merry Christmas. And if they bought a gift in a store that doesn't say "Merry Christmas," does that mean that you didn't purchase a Christmas gift? Nope.

Those who are comfortable with their religion and the celebrations of their religion wouldn't care one way or another as to how someone wishes you a happy holiday.

I was never upset about them saying happy holidays, it was the stores that disallowed their employees to return in kind, when wished a Merry Christmas. This was my problem, and I suspect the problem of many others.

Deegan said:
I was never upset about them saying happy holidays, it was the stores that disallowed their employees to return in kind, when wished a Merry Christmas. This was my problem, and I suspect the problem of many others.

Yeah, that is ridiculous.

Engimo said:
Haha, what are you talking about? I said nothing of the sort. The fact of the matter is that the United States was not historically founded on Judeo-Christian principles - and I have a sneaking suspicion that you have no idea what The Enlightenment actually was. It's not a statement about the validity of religion, it's a factual historical statement that talks about the principles behind the Constitution.

Perhaps you should actually look at what I am talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enlightenment

I know all about it, and many religious figures were engaged in the same movement, this is what you fail to realize. After the religious wars of 16th and 17th century, many in Europe left for America, to avoid this unreasonable practice all together, hence the founding of this great land. So it is you who have a problem with understanding the movement in which you purport to comprehend so well. They were not leaving behind their faith, but the chains that kept their faith from evolving in to the next rational steps, i.e, science, medicine, all intelligent debate for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom