• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Maher roasts woke 'presentism': 'A magic moral time machine' where you always win

So what should we say is the cutoff point time-wise that people "should have known better"? Can we not all agree that up until a certain point in history, (the enlightenment era perhaps?) human beings just had different morals, were pretty barbaric, and ignorant at best?

So what should we say is the cutoff point time-wise that people "should have known better"? Can we not all agree that up until a certain point in history, (the enlightenment era perhaps?) human beings just had different morals, were pretty barbaric, and ignorant at best?
Not ignorant. The intellectual battle simply to survive centuries ago dwarfs the lazy intellectual mindset of people born into an era where they have been handed a norm and standard that they arrogantly think they created.

Reactions: PoS
You really have that whole "making stupid comments" thing down to a science. I dont blame the Civil Rights Act...I blame the rat party and shitheads that mindlessly vote for them.

Its a special kind of stupid when people can see the rat party has run every major city in the country for numerous decades...and still think the answer is not just to vote for more of them, but also to make sure their agenda spreads like cancer to everywhere else.
So then please explain what about the Civil Rights Act started the ball rolling

Which to say about the Founders who were squarely rooted in Enlightenment ideals to have failed to live up to a foundational principle is a rather interesting historical question to ponder. It is much more interesting than sweeping it under the rug.

Nobody in the history of arguing about slavery has ever argued that slavery was unique to America.

"Presentism" is also a shit argument.

Normalizing the behavior of oppressors does a ****ing disservice to their victims.

You know who knew slavery was wrong and evil? The ****ing slaves and abolitionists. Kinda why the slaves wanted to run away and shit.

Is true evil actually NOT evil because a majority normalizes it? Do we excuse the Holocaust and say, well, ****, it was cool and shit cause the vast majoruty of Germans hated Jews or at least found anti Semitism to be acceptable?

Hell, the Founders wrote flowing poetry about liberty, justice, and equality while they were treating Blacks as less than human, because to admit their intellectual hypocrisy would be against their own interests.
That argument may be based on a race based slavery. I believe America was the first to go that route...

Anytime and every time FoxNews covers something Bill Maher says we should be suspect, but in the larger picture of what progressivism is doing to this nation he is again spot on.

The purpose of history is to learn from it, not go through the mental gymnastics exercise of judging all of history through today's lenses. It is liberal excused lying. If gender neutrality is your argument then do so within that argument instead of trying to convince kids that white Europeans brought the idea of male / female to the western world. Again, it is liberal excuses lying.

The real story here is progressivism, or wokeism, is pushing the boundaries of the ends justify the means.

Misrepresenting ideas and history, misrepresenting entire groups of people, is the order of the day from the far left.

And it should be called out, even if it takes FoxNews discarding how often Maher goes after conservatism only to mention when he calls out the bullshit from wokeism.
You think the woke side is misrepresenting history? Why do you suppose so many confederate statues were raised in the south in the mid 1900's?

Why didn't Jefferson ever free Sally Hemmings?

But even setting that aside... the Slave importation act had the legal mechanism of selling contraband slaves that were seized by the government on the open market.
That's nice. But it's still proven that Jefferson did much to try and end slavery. The claim.."he did nothing " is patently proven false.

LOL what a moronic lie. Everytime a slave in Rome had a child, they would also be slaves. They were considered property and had no legal personhood. Same thing with Ottoman slaves.

Your bullshit is becoming more pathetic with each reply. Keep it up.

Again, you're the only one who gives a **** about Rome -- deliberate dodge noted.

No. I understand the aim of the 1619 project which is to focus on the history of slavery in America and highlight its impact on America then and now. That's its aim.
The fact it got some things wrong doesn't mean everything it says is wrong just like everything my highschool us history book said wasn't wrong despite tge fact it stated the Japanese American internment camps during world War two were " for their own protection".
Or do you contend that George Washington wasn't the first US president?
It does more than that, it goes so far as to twist history to the point where everything in America is about slavery. It's a narrow-minded corruption of what really happened in order to advance a woke agenda.

People should actually read the book.
No, for the same reason why I dont read books on holocaust denial. It's false revisionism, pure and simple.

Again, you're the only one who gives a **** about Rome -- deliberate dodge noted.

You mentioned Rome, and now youre backing away. Let's face it, you have no argument whatsoever and resort to obvious lies. Youre not fooling anyone.

I do have just one question on the whole slavery topic. Why is it that idiot leftists are so hell bent on demoinizing people and policies from 300 years ago, but couldnt give the first **** about the brutal slavery that is very real, current, and ongoing TODAY?

I have a theory. Leftist are just mindless ****ing tools. They arent actually interested in any of the causes they bleat on about...they are just mindlessly tools easily manipulated by a party and uses for their votes precisely because they are such pathetic, mindless tools. Leftists dont give a **** about crime, violemce, rape, death, homicide rates, senior citizens, minorities, education, children, abortion, homosexuals, or any of he causes or symptoms associated with them. For the idiot left, its just an excuse to jump up and down like mindless twats and shriek..."Look what the OTHER guys are doing!"
Your leader tried to steal an election & stole a bunch of government documents, righties would force a ten yr old rape victim to to give birth, oppose any gun legislation, want to remove entitlements within five years, SS, vets benefits etc., the only minority the right cares about are white nationalists, the right is so concerned about the education of children, that they want to protect them from facts & history & feeling uncomfortable, the righty policy is Forced Birth, regardless, at least one rightie has advocated for capital punishment for homosexuals. Y'all are the other guys & that is what you are doing.

Slavery today is terrible and we should work to end it.

As for the institution of slavery in early American history, it is important to understand the issue as it was in the day and how they failed to end the institution that they knew to be against a foundational principal of the country... that all men are created equal.
The problem was who was considered a man, or 3/5ths of a man. Jefferson wrote beautiful words to aspire to. I'm sure that the chattel knew that slavery was wrong by contemporary objectivity, even if the master class closed their eyes to the barbarity of the system.

Jefferson signed into law a prohibition on importing slaves into any port or place in the US.
the Haitian Slave Rebellion in 1791 had an effect on Slaveholders in America, eventually resulting in that law to ban imports. There was a increased breeding program with in the slave owners sphere. There was no restriction on buying or selling of human chattel. Also there were prob'ly bootleg imports. I've never seen a prohibition that couldn't be gotten around.

You think the woke side is misrepresenting history? Why do you suppose so many confederate statues were raised in the south in the mid 1900's?
Confederate statues, road names etc. were meant to remind black folk of their place & that the South will rise again. IMO

It does more than that, it goes so far as to twist history to the point where everything in America is about slavery. It's a narrow-minded corruption of what really happened in order to advance a woke agenda.

No, for the same reason why I dont read books on holocaust denial. It's false revisionism, pure and simple.

You mentioned Rome, and now youre backing away. Let's face it, you have no argument whatsoever and resort to obvious lies. Youre not fooling anyone.

The history of the United States is a virtual history of white supremacy, which undergirded slavery.

The history of the United States is a virtual history of white supremacy, which undergirded slavery.
From the "discovery" of the new world. They soon found Natives made poor slaves, would fight or run, knowing the land.

1. No it does not in anyway do that. Only in the right wings fevered dreams...
Much like that crt is being " taught to schoolchildren .

the Haitian Slave Rebellion in 1791 had an effect on Slaveholders in America, eventually resulting in that law to ban imports. There was a increased breeding program with in the slave owners sphere. There was no restriction on buying or selling of human chattel. Also there were prob'ly bootleg imports. I've never seen a prohibition that couldn't be gotten around.
Hmm so your argument is that there would have been fewer slaves if Jefferson hadn't banned imports of slaves?.
Really?

No, it’s what I said. The slavers stepped up breading & raised their own.

Confederate statues, road names etc. were meant to remind black folk of their place & that the South will rise again. IMO
I believe your opinion is based on facts.

So then please explain what about the Civil Rights Act started the ball rolling
Are you really incapable of understanding the comment? Do you really believe the comment assigned blame on the Civil Rights act. I mean…if this isn’t you just playing dumb to reinforce your stupid comments, I’m going to be really disappointed.

The European White Male pretty much dominated this place. No arguments here.

Nobody in the history of arguing about slavery has ever argued that slavery was unique to America.
I am curious as to what you think the reason is that no other countries are continually blasted for it or for reparations?
"Presentism" is also a shit argument.

Normalizing the behavior of oppressors does a ****ing disservice to their victims.

You know who knew slavery was wrong and evil? The ****ing slaves and abolitionists. Kinda why the slaves wanted to run away and shit.

Is true evil actually NOT evil because a majority normalizes it? Do we excuse the Holocaust and say, well, ****, it was cool and shit cause the vast majoruty of Germans hated Jews or at least found anti Semitism to be acceptable?

Hell, the Founders wrote flowing poetry about liberty, justice, and equality while they were treating Blacks as less than human, because to admit their intellectual hypocrisy would be against their own interests.

Reactions: PoS
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion is getting pretty...adolescent now.
Thanks to you.

Another woke believer.

1. No it does not in anyway do that. Only in the right wings fevered dreams...
Much like that crt is being " taught to schoolchildren .
Wrong again, because CRT is being taught in schools. Epic fail on your part.

35894d40a4ee60033ecd860c414a866b.jpg

This from Maher and Obama's video in comment 2 are so good!!!!!

"But in today's world, when truth conflicts with narrative, it's the truth that has to apologize – Being woke is like a magic moral time machine where you judge everybody against what you imagine you would have done in 1066: And you always win."
lol @ presentism

Back
Top Bottom