• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Maher roasts woke 'presentism': 'A magic moral time machine' where you always win

You seem to be hanging your hat on this revisionist nonsense. You be you I guess.

So youve failed to refute my points and resort to ad homs instead. Desperation noted.
Nope. Not hanging my hat on revisionist nonsense.

Nope. Not hanging my hat on revisionist nonsense.
Yes you are, since you believe that the 1619 project is legit, you also believe that the American colonists rebelled against the British Empire because they wanted to protect the slaveowners. Its the main premise of that woke nonsense.

Yes you are, since you believe that the 1619 project is legit, you also believe that the American colonists rebelled against the British Empire because they wanted to protect the slaveowners. Its the main premise of that woke nonsense.
No. I understand the aim of the 1619 project which is to focus on the history of slavery in America and highlight its impact on America then and now. That's its aim.
The fact it got some things wrong doesn't mean everything it says is wrong just like everything my highschool us history book said wasn't wrong despite tge fact it stated the Japanese American internment camps during world War two were " for their own protection".
Or do you contend that George Washington wasn't the first US president?

Actually it was fairly common for native tribes to have “third sex” members. They were not ostracized. So we did bring rigid male/female dichotomies with us.

I am just getting back to this thread, but the above post is a classic illustration of revisionism.

"Two spirit" tradition had more to do with gender and social role back then than sexual orientation or identity in the modern sense. Very similar to India, most North American tribes looked at gender as role in various tribal functions. Not every male was a hunter, not every female tended to children.

I.e. Bill Maher is still spot on with how history is twisted for political gain today. As such 'woke revisionism' should be called out on both points. One, there is no plausible purpose to judge those traditions through today's lenses of political advocacy. Two, revisionism is inherently dangerous as it is disingenuous to suggest culture then was a basis for LGBTQ+ intentions today.

What is advocated today was not advocated then. Liberal excused lying is running full tilt.

Reactions: PoS
The country did not have to allow the colony to have slavery to survive. They only needed it to have a wealthy ruling class to lord over the rest of the country like they still had in Europe.

The good news ignores 100 years of Jim Crow.
We would have been a much smaller country though. The North American continent could be a bunch of smaller countries, like Europe.

The problem with "woke" is that it's a label. There's no definition of it, really, except for maybe the urban dictionary or something like that. Look, I have my definition of "woke" as well, but it's my definition and based on my biases, beliefs, experiences, and snap reactions, and that's pretty much the way it is for everyone in this thread.

My reaction to specific examples of wokeness will vary depending on the topic. If you're asking me should we consider renaming everything with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson's name on it, my answer would be an emphatic no because their legacy isn't strictly the fact that they owned slaves. In fact, both men had complicated views on the subject and in Washington's case freed them upon his death.

But if you're asking the same with respect to Woodrow Wilson, for instance, that would be a more complicated matter, as he did serious damage to the advancement of Black people and set back racial progress by decades by basically removing Blacks from the federal civil service. I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that some of the worst examples of racial violence occurred during his term.
woke
[wōk]

VERB
  1. past of wake.
ADJECTIVE
informal
  1. alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism:

I know that taking Fox's summary of what Maher said is risky at best, but even taking their summary at face value, I have absolutely no idea what point he was trying to make. Maybe it'll make sense if I get it from the source.
Basically don't disown the founders because of their participation in slavery. Be aware of it but don't cancel them. IMO

Basically don't disown the founders because of their participation in slavery. Be aware of it but don't cancel them. IMO
That is a perfectly reasonable position to take. The deification of the founders is silly, but they were also human and prone to mistakes, poor judgement, and failure and that should be recognized also.

Learn from their failures to achieve the dream of "All men are created equal"

Indeed. Getting to participate in a biannual civic ritual (or not) has almost no direct impact on a person's life.
Unless you aren't allowed to participate.

I do have just one question on the whole slavery topic. Why is it that idiot leftists are so hell bent on demoinizing people and policies from 300 years ago, but couldnt give the first **** about the brutal slavery that is very real, current, and ongoing TODAY?

I have a theory. Leftist are just mindless ****ing tools. They arent actually interested in any of the causes they bleat on about...they are just mindlessly tools easily manipulated by a party and uses for their votes precisely because they are such pathetic, mindless tools. Leftists dont give a **** about crime, violemce, rape, death, homicide rates, senior citizens, minorities, education, children, abortion, homosexuals, or any of he causes or symptoms associated with them. For the idiot left, its just an excuse to jump up and down like mindless twats and shriek..."Look what the OTHER guys are doing!"

It's been proven..whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.
Why didn't Jefferson ever free Sally Hemmings?

But even setting that aside... the Slave importation act had the legal mechanism of selling contraband slaves that were seized by the government on the open market.

Last edited:
I do have just one question on the whole slavery topic. Why is it that idiot leftists are so hell bent on demoinizing people and policies from 300 years ago, but couldnt give the first **** about the brutal slavery that is very real, current, and ongoing TODAY?

I have a theory. Leftist are just mindless ****ing tools. They arent actually interested in any of the causes they bleat on about...they are just mindlessly tools easily manipulated by a party and uses for their votes precisely because they are such pathetic, mindless tools. Leftists dont give a **** about crime, violemce, rape, death, homicide rates, senior citizens, minorities, education, children, abortion, homosexuals, or any of he causes or symptoms associated with them. For the idiot left, its just an excuse to jump up and down like mindless twats and shriek..."Look what the OTHER guys are doing!"
Slavery today is terrible and we should work to end it.

As for the institution of slavery in early American history, it is important to understand the issue as it was in the day and how they failed to end the institution that they knew to be against a foundational principal of the country... that all men are created equal.

Slavery today is terrible and we should work to end it.

As for the institution of slavery in early American history, it is important to understand the issue as it was in the day and how they failed to end the institution that they knew to be against a foundational principal of the country... that all men are created equal.
Should....but dont. Dont give a **** in fact.

Oh but the left IS invested in stirring up hatred in 5 year olds.

Screw slavery. Screw the colonialist origin of the country. Explain why black American communities in every major city across the country is ****ed and has been devastated SINCE the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Explain why rape, domestic violence, child abuse, illiteracy, murder, and every other category for black Americans is so prevalent...in democrat run cities across the country. Explain why black Americans that live outside of those rat run shitholes succeed...and why so many black parents are disgusted by the Marxist tropes you champion. Explain why Marxists and idiot leftists squeal over the perceived racist past of the country while blindly.,..moronically...rushing to the polls TODAY to vote for the same rat **** politicians that have devastated the black communities.

Your bullshit diatribes about 'equality' is just dumb. You have either been duped into your mindset or are complicit.

Should....but dont. Dont give a **** in fact.

Oh but the left IS invested in stirring up hatred in 5 year olds.

Screw slavery. Screw the colonialist origin of the country. Explain why black American communities in every major city across the country is ****ed and has been devastated SINCE the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Explain why rape, domestic violence, child abuse, illiteracy, murder, and every other category for black Americans is so prevalent...in democrat run cities across the country. Explain why black Americans that live outside of those rat run shitholes succeed...and why so many black parents are disgusted by the Marxist tropes you champion. Explain why Marxists and idiot leftists squeal over the perceived racist past of the country while blindly.,..moronically...rushing to the polls TODAY to vote for the same rat **** politicians that have devastated the black communities.

Your bullshit diatribes about 'equality' is just dumb. You have either been duped into your mindset or are complicit.
One of the funnier things about this is the blaming of the Civil Rights Act for the ills of the inner city.

Then going on about bullshit diatribes... chef's kiss.

One of the funnier things about this is the blaming of the Civil Rights Act for the ills of the inner city.

Then going on about bullshit diatribes... chef's kiss.
You really have that whole "making stupid comments" thing down to a science. I dont blame the Civil Rights Act...I blame the rat party and shitheads that mindlessly vote for them.

Its a special kind of stupid when people can see the rat party has run every major city in the country for numerous decades...and still think the answer is not just to vote for more of them, but also to make sure their agenda spreads like cancer to everywhere else.

You really have that whole "making stupid comments" thing down to a science. I dont blame the Civil Rights Act...I blame the rat party and shitheads that mindlessly vote for them.

Its a special kind of stupid when people can see the rat party has run every major city in the country for numerous decades...and still think the answer is not just to vote for more of them, but also to make sure their agenda spreads like cancer to everywhere else.

Really ignorant post. Really ignorant. Of course hate and ignorance is what we have come to expect.

you just did, Bill, when you called Christopher Columbus and people of that time "atrocious."
Bill's writers probably forgot to include "by today's standards" after "atrocious" on the teleprompter.

Bill's writers probably forgot to include "by today's standards" after "atrocious" on the teleprompter.
Even if they had included that qualifier, it still would have undermined his point.

Back
Top Bottom