• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Maher auditions for a new audience...

No he's not....every week we get another sermon from Bill and his newfound Right Leaning Libertarian buddies and at least one member of Trump Nation or Trump Nation Auxiliary, or
a Jimmy Dore clone, or a mealy mouthed NYT right leaning columnist who doesn't have the nut-sack to call out people in his own party.

How many straight shooting Dems has he had on since January 6th 2021?
He had Adam Schiff on once. When's the last time he had Richard Painter on in the last seven months? Painter is a moderate.
Why hasn't he had John Fetterman on? Fetterman is a working class hero who has the potential to reinvigorate what USED to be the working class segment of the Democratic Party.

He's much more interested in sucking up to Ann Coulter and Ben Shapiro. Neither of them are moderate conservatives.
He loves extremists, they boost ratings, that's all he's concerned about now.

Really? Maher believes most members of the Democratic Party are "woke"? C'mon, man. Maybe he talks about the whole "wokeness" issue more than necessary, but he knows that most members of the Democratic Party don't agree with this. I just pointed that out in my previous post. A columnist with the New York Times said that on his show.

I've also seen Maher criticize Republicans more harshly than any liberal on television, except for maybe Keith Olbermann.

In addition, Maher has repeatedly had liberal columnists from the Washington Post and New York Times on his show in the past year. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you claim he hasn't had liberal guests lately. Michael Moore has been on his show like a million times. What you're saying simply isn't true.

Is Katrina Vanden Heuval liberal enough for you? She was on the show a couple of weeks ago, saying stupid stuff about Abraham Lincoln.

Maher likes to have different points of view on his show. Some views you will like, some you won't. His show is about the only one left will you will see both Democrats and Republicans appear together. His heart is in the right place, that's what I care about the most.

Last edited:
Love it when left eats left 😂🤣

Who are these 'woke' people and what moronic or ultra ultra far left opinions do they have?

Seems to me there's a pretty consistent pattern of conservative/right-wing propagandists creating big scary bogeymen out of otherwise innocuous, obscure or even common sense terms or ideas from the left: 'Political correctness' (as noted in the OP video), 'social justice warriors,' Alinsky, the fact that black lives matter, 'cancel culture,' reducing police funding, critical race theory...

Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as "chiefly US slang - aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." Oooh, that's scary stuff! Isn't it? No? Well, maybe this is yet another example of right-wing propaganda in action, apparently quite successfully when left-leaning folk start using it as a four-letter word too.

He's talking about people like the school board officials in San Francisco who were recently fired, and rightfully so.

I mean, what idiots take Abraham Lincoln's name off of a school?

Really? Maher believes most members of the Democratic Party are "woke"? C'mon, man. Maybe he talks about the whole "wokeness" issue more than necessary, but he knows that most members of the Democratic Party don't agree with this. I just pointed that out in my previous post. A columnist with the New York Times said that on his show.

I've also seen Maher criticize Republicans more harshly than any liberal on television, except for maybe Keith Olbermann.

In addition, Maher has repeatedly had liberal columnists from the Washington Post and New York Times on his show in the past year. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you claim he hasn't had liberal guests lately. Michael Moore has been on his show like a million times. What you're saying simply isn't true.

Maher likes to have different points of view on his show. Some views you will like, some you won't. His show is about the only one left will you will see both Democrats and Republicans appear together. His heart is in the right place, that's what I care about the most.

It's not that I have an issue with different points of view.
These days Maher's idea of different points of view is the extremes on both sides.
I don't need Michael Moore, I don't need WaPo and NYT columnists, I need Sherrod Brown, I need Katie Porter, I need Al Franken, I need ordinary working class public servants who know how
to win elections and implement policy.

I was a fan of Maher's show starting all the way back to the ABC-TV days, been in his audience four times.
I sense the drift and it's not my imagination.

He's talking about people like the school board officials in San Francisco who were recently fired, and rightfully so.

Yes, I saw that episode, and like I said, he makes it sound like it's the entire Democratic Party.

A handful of ultra Lefty idiots coined the phrase, a SMALLER handful stuck with it, meanwhile something like 85% of the liberal and Democratic Party rank and file went "WTF? We want to REFORM the police, not get RID of them!"...
I agree with everything you said, but I think 85% of the Democrats knew what the tortured motto was attempting to say.

I've seen Maher talk about this several times on his show, he is well aware of where the motto came from. And he has mentioned where it came from.

His point is that messaging matters. When Democrats adopt stupid mottos, they are giving ammo to a bunch of idiot Republicans for no good reason. In tennis terms, it's called an unforced error.
Good to hear, but he sure didn't make the point that messaging is not the policy during this interview. This omission during an interviewed by a conservative (I don't know how conservative) doesn't speak well of him...

It's not that I have an issue with different points of view.
These days Maher's idea of different points of view is the extremes on both sides.
I don't need Michael Moore, I don't need WaPo and NYT columnists, I need Sherrod Brown, I need Katie Porter, I need Al Franken, I need ordinary working class public servants who know how
to win elections and implement policy.

I was a fan of Maher's show starting all the way back to the ABC-TV days, been in his audience four times.
I sense the drift and it's not my imagination.

Geez man, is Katrina Vanden Hueval liberal enough for you? She was on the show a couple of weeks ago (making really dumb comments about Abraham Lincoln, by the way).

LOL...Michael Moore isn't "working class" enough for you? Have you ever seen his first documentary Roger and Me?

Katie Porter and Al Franken have both been on his show within the past 2 years.

I agree with everything you said, but I think 85% of the Democrats knew what the tortured motto was attempting to say.

Good to hear, but he sure didn't make the point that messaging is not the policy during this interview. This omission during an interviewed by a conservative (I don't know how conservative) doesn't speak well of him...

We can agree to disagree on the remaining 15%. I think you're a very smart guy, but maybe you're being a little too critical of Maher. Most people know by now where the "defund the police" motto came from.

Yes, I saw that episode, and like I said, he makes it sound like it's the entire Democratic Party.

Again, we are going to have to agree to disagree on that point. I've never heard Maher imply one time that the fringe left represents the entire Democratic Party.

On the other hand, I've heard him say repeatedly that the fringe right owns the Republican Party. Because the fringe right IS the Republican Party.

Which is why Maher repeatedly warns everyone what's going to happen after the 2024 Presidential election, once the Republicans gain control of Congress in Jan 2023.

Instead of taking someone else's word on what took place in that interview, see it for yourself:

THIS IS FULL, UNEDITED INTERVIEW

I watched the entire interview and there isn't one thing that Maher said that contradicted any of his stated beliefs over the last 25 years.

The one thing that they both said that everyone should take away from this, is the fact that people of differing views sitting down and having a civilized conversation, not only used to be the norm a few years back, but was endorsed and encouraged by people on both sides of the isle... It's just too bad that the left no longer tolerates anyone that thinks differently than they do, and believes silencing the opposition is a better course of action than talking is.

...and yet another potentially insightful post ruined by hyper-partisanship.

Geez man, is Katrina Vanden Hueval liberal enough for you? She was on the show a couple of weeks ago (making really dumb comments about Abraham Lincoln, by the way).

LOL...Michael Moore isn't "working class" enough for you? Have you ever seen his first documentary Roger and Me?

Katie Porter and Al Franken have both been on his show within the past 2 years.

Yes, they were on TWO years ago.
Bill's drift into Dennis Miller territory began about a year ago, glad you now see my point.
I love Michael Moore but he's not "Roger and Me" Michael Moore anymore.

I'll say it again, I've been a Maher fan since he was on ABC TV.
And I'm sensing his drift into crotchety entitled old fart territory BECAUSE I've been a fan since those early days.

Yes, they were on TWO years ago.
Bill's drift into Dennis Miller territory began about a year ago, glad you now see my point.
I love Michael Moore but he's not "Roger and Me" Michael Moore anymore.

I'll say it again, I've been a Maher fan since he was on ABC TV.
And I'm sensing his drift into crotchety entitled old fart territory BECAUSE I've been a fan since those early days.

I respect your opinion, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Maybe I'm becoming a crotchety old fart like Maher.

But I'll tell you what....we need more crotchety old farts like Maher calling out the Republicans' fascism and their threat to democracy. Because Biden and the Democrats in Congress sure as hell aren't doing a very good job of it, with a few exceptions.

I gather from a NY Times article that the main reasons they were voted out were dissatisfaction with their Covid-era teaching efforts, anger at replacing meritocracy with lottery in the district's best school, and publicized tweets by one of the members comparing Asian Americans to slaves. Lincoln's name was not removed from the school, but why would it matter if they had decided to remove one of the most trivial among the thousands of honours heaped on him? Lincoln's sphere of greatness was politics; if they had chosen to reconsider the school's name there's plenty of more academically or morally inspiring people whose name would be more appropriate for a learning institution.

https://debatepolitics.com/threads/...am-lincoln-high-school.432975/post-1073161365

In a way I suppose I can kind of understand: Far-right propaganda has been warning you about the scary slippery slope if Confederate monuments were removed, so it could be simply a knee-jerk reaction among some more reasonable folk to condemn and denounce anyone who even thinks about removing the most trivial of honours from one of the relatively good guys. Gotta show the world that there's nothing to fear from reasonable folk, by painting these other people as the truly scary and evil ones :(

I gather from a NY Times article that the main reasons they were voted out were dissatisfaction with their Covid-era teaching efforts, anger at replacing meritocracy with lottery in the district's best school, and publicized tweets by one of the members comparing Asian Americans to slaves. Lincoln's name was not removed from the school, but why would it matter if they had decided to remove one of the most trivial among the thousands of honours heaped on him? Lincoln's sphere of greatness was politics; if they had chosen to reconsider the school's name there's plenty of more academically or morally inspiring people whose name would be more appropriate for a learning institution.

https://debatepolitics.com/threads/...am-lincoln-high-school.432975/post-1073161365

Wrong, as usual from you. Just like your moronic defense of Trump's phone call to Raffensperger.

The San Francisco school board voted to remove Lincoln's name from public schools. --

The San Francisco school board has voted to remove the names of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Dianne Feinstein and a number of other politicians, conquistadors and historical figures from public schools after officials deemed them unworthy of the honor.

He's the new Dennis Miller.

Wow...You really love to exaggerate!

Let me know when Maher is showing up frequently on Hannity's show or Carlson's show, like the washed-up Miller used to do on O'Reilly's show.

Of course, Hannity and Carlson are completely terrified of getting ripped a new asshole by Maher, so that will never happen.

Wrong, as usual from you. Just like your moronic defense of Trump's phone call to Raffensperger.

The San Francisco school board voted to remove Lincoln's name from public schools. --

Sigh.

I happen to like Maher, and he is 100% right about the woke bullshit.
Why is equality and respecting people and individual rights something you're against?

Wow...You really love to exaggerate!

Let me know when Maher is showing up frequently on Hannity's show or Carlson's show, like the washed-up Miller used to do on O'Reilly's show.

Of course, Hannity and Carlson are completely terrified of getting ripped a new asshole by Maher, so that will never happen.

This is the 1st of like...3 conversations that leads to you being on Fox News.
Like, there's this & then in a year it's like, "Oh, you know, I'm-a want to get back out there, but I think I like Fox,"
and then there's the big, "Oh, I'm... I'm... I'm a Fox News guy now."
May be an image of 2 people, beard, people sitting and indoor

Believe me all will be forgiven by Hannity and Tucker... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maher is his usual irreverent self. I don't see where he's suddenly shifting towards or away from his traditional style.

Here are his latest comments to Shapiro on Ukraine -- and notice how he poses challenging questions right back to him:

Man, look what happens when a hard liberal dares to speak out about wokeism and other extremist bullshit. They are turn on him like jackals.

Not how I'd phrase it, but I agree with a lot of criticism for him. Tired of his schtick of insulting liberals in his audience for misguided reasons among other things.

The good news is Bernie cancel culture warriors will not cancel Maher, you'll have to advocate harder for that to happen since Bernie has been on his show a few times.

Instead of taking someone else's word on what took place in that interview, see it for yourself:

THIS IS FULL, UNEDITED INTERVIEW

I watched the entire interview and there isn't one thing that Maher said that contradicted any of his stated beliefs over the last 25 years.

The one thing that they both said that everyone should take away from this, is the fact that people of differing views sitting down and having a civilized conversation, not only used to be the norm a few years back, but was endorsed and encouraged by people on both sides of the isle... It's just too bad that the left no longer tolerates anyone that thinks differently than they do, and believes silencing the opposition is a better course of action than talking is.

Yup, Maher has stayed true to his beliefs, while the rest of the libs went full blown retard.

Back
Top Bottom