• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Maher auditions for a new audience...

Not how I'd phrase it, but I agree with a lot of criticism for him. Tired of his schtick of insulting liberals in his audience for misguided reasons among other things.
Bill Maher has never been a liberal. He is an economic republican who is a social libertarian.

Maher dared to go against the democratic cult. Now they are going to try and cancel him.
This will be damn funny to watch the maneuvering. :p
;)
Maher has always been a liberal first and a Democrat when he agreed with the Democrats.

Why is it that conservatives lose their shit every time a liberal disagrees?

THEY'RE TRYING TO CANCEL MAHER! I know this because.. this one guy doesn't like Maher!!! He made a youtube!

THEY'RE TRYING TO CANCEL MAHER! I know this because.. this one guy doesn't like Maher!!! He made a youtube!
Same reason the liberal lose their shit every time a conservative disagrees!!! Go figure.

Same reason the liberal lose their shit every time a conservative disagrees!!! Go figure.
No, we don't do that at all. When a conservative disagrees with other conservatives, we don't screech about cancel culture.

First stop: the self-appointed Pope of the Jews, Ben Shapiro.

'Please, please approve of me so that I can have your audience! I promise I'll be anti-woke! I'll even join your crusade against green energy!'

Bill Maher is a walking trash bag waiting to be filled by right-wing garbage.

He is far left. He just got outrun by the nutter progressives. They are so far left he almost looks reasonable in comparison.

I watched the first 10 minutes. This guy obviously has a bone to pick with Maher. What exactly is he upset about? He's just ranting and raving, there's no coherence to his argument.

"Defund the police" is a stupid term, Maher is correct. And it's stupid for any Democratic politician to use that term. It just hands ammo to the Republican idiots on the other side.

Bill Maher has never said that police brutality is not a major problem, but that doesn't mean the Democrats should adopt stupid mottos like "defund the police".
I've only watched Maher a few times, but most of his criticism seem valid to me. We all agree defunding the police is a stupid motto, but Maher blatantly failed to point out what idea was behind the motto, what the motto was actually attempting say or to change. That was a suck up to the conservative interviewer, or the reason I've only watched him a few times...

Last edited:
No, we don't do that at all. When a conservative disagrees with other conservatives, we don't screech about cancel culture.
Both sides have almost no civility left. I lived a long time and the trend on civility continues it's downward spiral.

Bill Maher has never been a liberal. He is an economic republican who is a social libertarian.

Unfortunately that is not accurate.

First stop: the self-appointed Pope of the Jews, Ben Shapiro.

'Please, please approve of me so that I can have your audience! I promise I'll be anti-woke! I'll even join your crusade against green energy!'

Bill Maher is a walking trash bag waiting to be filled by right-wing garbage.

He was a punk as a kid and never grew out of it.

Unfortunately that is not accurate.
What liberal economic policy does Bill Maher support? He is a libertarian. Not a liberal or (gasp) progressive.

And I agree with him on that wholeheartedly but that isn't the problem.
The problem is, Maher has decided that the ENTIRE DEMOCRATIC PARTY consists of the "woke" ultra ultra Far Left.
It doesn't.

I think that's an exaggeration. Maher had a guest a couple of weeks ago that said something like the following, which Maher agreed with:

The Republican Party is terrified of their crazy majority and the Democratic Party is terrified of their crazy minority.

Maher is well aware that these "woke" morons don't make up the majority of the Democratic Party.

Last edited:
Phony "bothsidesism" overdone.
great, another wonderful debater that cannot see a centrist point of view. Yep, a perfect example of the degradation of civility!

great, another wonderful debater that cannot see a centrist point of view. Yep, a perfect example of the degradation of civility!
We're discussing a specific topic in which the two sides are definitely not equivalent. Is there some reason I should operate under the pretense that they are?

I've only watched Maher a few times, but most of his criticism seem valid to me. We all agree defunding the police is a stupid motto, but Maher blatantly failed to point out what idea was behind the motto, what the motto was actually attempting say or to change. That was a suck up to the conservative interviewer, or the reason I've only watched him a few times...

A handful of ultra Lefty idiots coined the phrase, a SMALLER handful stuck with it, meanwhile something like 85% of the liberal and Democratic Party rank and file went "WTF? We want to REFORM the police, not get RID of them!" but OF COURSE Fox News ignored that, and the rest of the MSM saw rating$ GOLD in carrying the nothing burger headline, and instead of offering some perspective, Maher did exactly what the rest of the MSM did, he made lucrative ratings gold out of it. He sensationalized it, and now he's spent the last nine months acting like every Democrat in the country supports "Defund the Police".

This is the problem, he's desperately clawing at whatever gives him sensationalist ratings.
And I guess that means kow-towing to the extremes and painting them as the majority, which BY HIS OWN DOING, has made him a favorite of Fox News types now.
Sorry, I haven't changed, Maher has...I didn't audition for Fox, Maher did, I didn't cast him out for not toeing some party line, he's turned it into a Trump weather map Sharpie squiggle.

I thought "Defund the Police" was the stupidest chunk of PR poison ever coined by ANYONE.
And I'm one of those so called "libtard Demonrats"...no one is interested in how I feel...they're only interested in sensationalism.

I've seen Maher talk about this several times on his show, he is well aware of where the motto came from. And he has mentioned where it came from.

His point is that messaging matters. When Democrats adopt stupid mottos, they are giving ammo to a bunch of idiot Republicans for no good reason. In tennis terms, it's called an unforced error.

Last edited:
I think that's an exaggeration. Maher had a guess a couple of weeks ago that said something like the following, which Maher agreed with:

The Republican Party is terrified of their crazy majority and the Democratic Party is terrified of their crazy minority.

Maher is well aware that these "woke" morons don't make up the majority of the Democratic Party.

No he's not....every week we get another sermon from Bill and his newfound Right Leaning Libertarian buddies and at least one member of Trump Nation or Trump Nation Auxiliary, or
a Jimmy Dore clone, or a mealy mouthed NYT right leaning columnist who doesn't have the nut-sack to call out people in his own party.

How many straight shooting Dems has he had on since January 6th 2021?
He had Adam Schiff on once. When's the last time he had Richard Painter on in the last seven months? Painter is a moderate.
Why hasn't he had John Fetterman on? Fetterman is a working class hero who has the potential to reinvigorate what USED to be the working class segment of the Democratic Party.

He's much more interested in sucking up to Ann Coulter and Ben Shapiro. Neither of them are moderate conservatives.
He loves extremists, they boost ratings, that's all he's concerned about now.

The problem is, Maher has decided that the ENTIRE DEMOCRATIC PARTY consists of the "woke" ultra ultra Far Left.
Who are these 'woke' people and what moronic or ultra ultra far left opinions do they have?

Seems to me there's a pretty consistent pattern of conservative/right-wing propagandists creating big scary bogeymen out of otherwise innocuous, obscure or even common sense terms or ideas from the left: 'Political correctness' (as noted in the OP video), 'social justice warriors,' Alinsky, the fact that black lives matter, 'cancel culture,' reducing police funding, critical race theory...

Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as "chiefly US slang - aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." Oooh, that's scary stuff! Isn't it? No? Well, maybe this is yet another example of right-wing propaganda in action, apparently quite successfully when left-leaning folk start using it as a four-letter word too.

They do the same thing with black people. Notice how frequently Candace Owens and Thomas Sowell are quoted? It's like they only know 2 black people and these 2 black people speak for the rest of the black people. Stupid.

IMO standing in between a mostly center-right party and a mostly far-right party doesn't really make someone a centrist. Both in terms of the actual range of serious political positions and in terms of proposed level of public control/egalitarianism, political positions like those of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are pretty close to being the center as far as I can tell. Stuff like Warren's proposal of a trifling 3% wealth tax on billionaires... capitalism barely any more regulated and 'redistributive' than what we've already got!

<> Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as "chiefly US slang - aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." Oooh, that's scary stuff! Isn't it? <>

We know why that is perceived as a threat, do we not?

Who are these 'woke' people and what moronic or ultra ultra far left opinions do they have?

Seems to me there's a pretty consistent pattern of conservative/right-wing propagandists creating big scary bogeymen out of otherwise innocuous, obscure or even common sense terms or ideas from the left: 'Political correctness' (as noted in the OP video), 'social justice warriors,' Alinsky, the fact that black lives matter, 'cancel culture,' reducing police funding, critical race theory...

Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as "chiefly US slang - aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." Oooh, that's scary stuff! Isn't it? No? Well, maybe this is yet another example of right-wing propaganda in action, apparently quite successfully when left-leaning folk start using it as a four-letter word too.

Exactly....WHO ARE they and how MUCH of the Dem-Lib-Left do they comprise? (HINT: Far less than the Trump Right, which is now the GOP MAJORITY)
I say that the ratio is about that of school faculty to student body, a small percentage of self-absorbed cranks, mostly filled with teen angst and a profound
load of impotent anger and not much in the way of solid leadership skills.

Take "BLM" for instance. MILLIONS have marched IN THE NAME OF "black lives matter", (a FOUR HUNDRED year old concept) but how many of those millions are in the tank
with the BLM founders "marxist" visions? So few that BLM founder Patrisse Cullours has now left the group entirely....Patrisse, who proudly announced at the outset
that she was a "trained marxist"....ooooooooo a TRAINED marxist! That'll REALLY romance the proles, right? 🤣🤣🤣

But Maher just CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT THE WOKE LEFT....the woke the woke the woke the woke woke woke woke woke.
It's like he has WOKE TOURETTES.

It was funny at first! I admit it! I laughed at his tirades over Molly Ringwald APOLOGIZING for her role in "The Breakfast Club" 30 years ago.
But he's not DOING funny pokes in the eye at the WOKE anymore, he's sounding more and more like Greg Gutfeld or Eric Bolling.
He's blaming the woke left for the fact that he couldn't get solar power for three years...FFS.

I'm a lib, but I grew up on Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Mad Magazine, National Lampoon, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, R. Crumb, Bill Hicks and The (1975) Not Ready for Prime Time Players.
So I am hardly what anyone could call Politically Correct.
If I am annoyed by Bill Maher, it's not because he's politically incorrect, it's because he's now just a pissy old fart rich white guy who feels inconvenienced.
He wants EVERYONE to GET OFF HIS LAWN.

Back
Top Bottom