• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Maher Afraid Mohammeds, Islam Taking Over Western World

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Bill Maher Afraid Mohammeds, Islam Taking Over Western World | Mediaite

Maher made a Juan Williams-esque confession on his program when he apprehensively noted that Mohammed has just become the most popular baby name in Britain. “Am I a racist to feel alarmed by that?” Maher asked his panel. “Because I am. And it’s not because of the race, it’s because of the religion. I don’t have to apologize, do I, for not wanting the Western world to be taken over by Islam in 300 years?”

His normally boisterous crowd fell silent as the panel responded to Maher’s admission. “If you’re with NPR,” the conservative Margaret Hoover chimed, “You’d be fired.” “It’s worse,” Lawrence O’Donnell told Maher. “It’s way worse than what Juan Williams said.” Hoover seemed to agree with this sentiment. Reihan Salam, a conservative analyst with a Muslim name, also seemed irked by Maher’s comments, noting that he “has some uncles named Mohammed” that are “pretty decent guys.”

Oh man, that's like, bigot SQUARED.

God I hope he loses his job for that. I mean it is just a stupid thing to say and I am somewhat surprised Maher said it. He must have really lost it since I last listened to his show.

I can't wait to see how this thread goes!

Urgh, what a twat.
12 variations of 'Mohammed' = Mohammed being the most popular name.

Urgh, what a twat.
12 variations of 'Mohammed' = Mohammed being the most popular name.

Did they lump other names together, e.g. count haley and haylee as one? If so, then I don't see the issue.

Did they lump other names together, e.g. count haley and haylee as one? If so, then I don't see the issue.

Well of course you wouldn't.
It's not even numbers anyone is talking. This is just pure spin.

There is not a extreme number of Muslims in UK. It is just the culture of them.
In UK, many White/Non Muslim families give their children names that is "unique" or "stands out". Whereas with Muslims of all racial backgrounds, it is very common to pick from a very limited number of choices. Mohammed, Ahmed, Aisha, Fatima. All of which have a historical meaning in Islam.

It's not that there are shed loads of Muslim babies born but when they are born, the same names are repeated which bumps it up on the baby register to the top despite the minority group counting for a small % of the population.

Tho, I must say. I am observing this panic over Muslims taking over with great amusement. :roll:

He's not really a bigot towards muslims, specifically, but religion in general. He would and has said the same thing about Christianity, Judaism, etc. Just watch his movie Religiolous.

Last edited:
Well of course you wouldn't.
It's not even numbers anyone is talking. This is just pure spin.

There is not a extreme number of Muslims in UK. It is just the culture of them.
In UK, many White/Non Muslim families give their children names that is "unique" or "stands out". Whereas with Muslims of all racial backgrounds, it is very common to pick from a very limited number of choices. Mohammed, Ahmed, Aisha, Fatima. All of which have a historical meaning in Islam.

It's not that there are shed loads of Muslim babies born but when they are born, the same names are repeated which bumps it up on the baby register to the top despite the minority group counting for a small % of the population.

Tho, I must say. I am observing this panic over Muslims taking over with great amusement. :roll:

I'm well aware of that. It's the same in many other cultures - there are like 3 last names in all of China. What I'm asking about is your particular criticism of that other news story which implied that they improperly lumped various spellings of Mohammed together to claim that it was at the top. I'm just asking if they did that for other names as well. If they did and Mohammed was still at the top, then that's not a very strong criticism.

I generally like Bill Maher, and enjoy his shows and comedy. On this individual instance, however, I think he's full of ****. I'll still watch him though.

I'm well aware of that. It's the same in many other cultures - there are like 3 last names in all of China. What I'm asking about is your particular criticism of that other news story which implied that they improperly lumped various spellings of Mohammed together to claim that it was at the top. I'm just asking if they did that for other names as well. If they did and Mohammed was still at the top, then that's not a very strong criticism.

Which is still meaningless

If 30% of Muslims in the UK name their boy Mohammed, while the most popular english name is Tom but only 2 % of the rest of the population name their boy Tom it does not mean that the Muslims are outbreeding the ethnic english.

This is a moronic attempt at fear mongering, and one that does not follow any particular statistical or rational approach while doing so. It can only fool the drooling morons or those that want the fear mongering to work

I think the idea that if you're a liberal/conservative then you should have to agree with everything famous liberals/conservatives say is garbage. Bill Maher doesn't speak for all liberals. I know that there are liberals here who start a new thread every time a Republican says something stupid. I'm just saying: who cares? I don't care. I didn't care about what Juan Williams said. I didn't care when that Berry guy said "I hope somebody blows up the ["ground zero"] mosque." Celebrities are in it for ratings. Who cares.

Which is still meaningless

If 30% of Muslims in the UK name their boy Mohammed, while the most popular english name is Tom but only 2 % of the rest of the population name their boy Tom it does not mean that the Muslims are outbreeding the ethnic english.

This is a moronic attempt at fear mongering, and one that does not follow any particular statistical or rational approach while doing so. It can only fool the drooling morons or those that want the fear mongering to work

I don't understand how this is a response to what I'm saying, as that's not even close to what I'm arguing.

You know, I know that it's almost totally irrelevant, but I might point out that, as an active employee of the Labour party, I felt it necessary to check that fact, and it's entirely untrue, just like the rest of the neo-con islamophobic "Brittanistan" rubbish.

A whopping 4% of the UK's population is from South Asia -- 2% are from Africa, and negligible amounts are from the Middle East or South America (there are also stats on the 94% of the population that's "white", but determining ancestry and what makes a person a Brit over a Frenchman over a Scot, etc., is annoyingly difficult).

That means, of a nation approaching a population of 70 million, about 2.8 million of those people are Muslim (as conversion rates in the UK are also negligible -- meaning if your mum or dad was from the Church of England, you probably will be too -- similarly, if your mum grew up in an Islamic household, you'll probably do the same).

There are many, many more Muslims in the States than in the UK.

By the way, the most common name in the UK is John.

Last edited:
I doubt it. HBO is hardly CNN. HBO isn't dependent on adverisers for revenue, which is why it's able to get away with a lot more.

That, and Maher's crazyness is pretty much the whole point of his show. NPR does not want this sort of message coming from their stations, so they will not employ people who talk like this.

HBO runs shows about weird sex fetishes and often-nude vampires.

Pretty sure he was talking about the religion itself than the people...I have no problem with people named Mohammed and I'm sure Bill Maher doesn't either.

Pretty sure he was talking about the religion itself than the people...I have no problem with people named Mohammed and I'm sure Bill Maher doesn't either.

The religion is the people, without the people their is no religion.

when the Parsee religion eventually dies out ( as it is on the that path) it will be because no one is left alive to follow it

Back
Top Bottom