• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Gates says Covid risks have 'dramatically reduced' but another pandemic is coming

He said pandemic, and it won't be known what the pathogen is until it begins.

Other than being rich, what makes Gates an expert?

Besides being a smart guy, his medical foundation partners with a plethora of scientific entities. I assume he's privy to much of this info and data, at least at the higher macro level, which seems to be where he's speaking from in the OP article.

From Wkik:

Gates MRI partners with academic researchers, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, global health organizations, and others. Its own work is focused on early and middle-stage development, but the Institute collaborates around a range of areas - from basic science through public health outcomes studies. In particular, Gates MRI seeks scientific discoveries and partners that can take compounds that have graduated from Phase II clinical trials through the final stages of development and approval.[1]

He said pandemic, and it won't be known what the pathogen is until it begins.

That's my take on it, though I'd bet they have some type suspects in mind.

Other than being rich, what makes Gates an expert?
It appears he has endeavored to learn how to be effective at philanthropy through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. He has already demonstrated how to orchestrate a great many top level thinkers to produce operating systems for personal computers. These skills have obviously been applied to other more lofty human challenges. The world is better off for Bill Gates.

Gates hasn’t got id chips in enough arms yet…….

/s

There have been half a dozen pandemics in the last century, this is not unexpected. Bill Gates is not predicting anything specific; he doesn't say what, when or how many. He's just reminding us we shouldn't be too complacent. It's kinda duh.

In any case I hope my microchips are good for the next three pandemics.

Besides being a smart guy, his medical foundation partners with a plethora of scientific entities. I assume he's privy to much of this info and data, at least at the higher macro level, which seems to be where he's speaking from in the OP article.

From Wkik:

Yes he is a smart guy, will give you that. To say the world will have another pandemic is little different than saying the world will end in nuclear war. Could be right, who knows?

If he truly believed what was said the foundation could fund the vaccine quest just from Buffet's donations alone.

It appears he has endeavored to learn how to be effective at philanthropy through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. He has already demonstrated how to orchestrate a great many top level thinkers to produce operating systems for personal computers. These skills have obviously been applied to other more lofty human challenges. The world is better off for Bill Gates.

Plus the office staff he banged!

Gates should have stuck to what he was good at.

People think pandemics are rare?

Huh. The genome suggests otherwise.

Yes he is a smart guy, will give you that. To say the world will have another pandemic is little different than saying the world will end in nuclear war. Could be right, who knows?

If he truly believed what was said the foundation could fund the vaccine quest just from Buffet's donations alone.

Oh, I fully believe his statement.

Pandemics are unavoidable. It's that simple. I'm not saying they're going to wipe us off the face of the earth; but we've always had them, have one now, and will always have them in the future. They're an intrinsic feature of our human experience.

Pandemics are unavoidable. It's that simple. I'm not saying they're going to wipe us off the face of the earth; but we've always had them, have one now, and will always have them in the future. They're an intrinsic feature of our human experience.
And of wild and domestic animals.

I wonder what the next epidemic is that he's referring to.
Why, as long as we have world wide commerce, another pandemic will be coming. That is just how things work. What he is doing is suggesting we get procedures and proccesses in place to be able to diagnose and handle the next pandemic before it happens, rather than do think like dismantle the response team thinking it can be put into place fast enough. YOu know, like Trump disbanding the pandemic response team in 2018. If we were properly prepared with the resources to detect and respond in place, 100's of thousands of lives could have been saved. with a lot less impact to the economy.

I will also say the now global interaction between countries due to planes, and world wide commerce make them more likely.

The concern is a pandemic with the worst possible outcomes - as virulent as something like Marburg but with the infection rate of Measles. That is what keeps experts up at night.

Yep. Agreed.

Let's not forget the Bubonic Plague wiped-out half of Europe's humanity during the middle ages! And, that's with it's method of transmission not being airborne; it needs contact transmission through breaks in the skin.

Imagine Bubonic type lethality, with airborne transmission? Marone! We'd be dead meat! Literally.

Why, as long as we have world wide commerce, another pandemic will be coming. That is just how things work. What he is doing is suggesting we get procedures and proccesses in place to be able to diagnose and handle the next pandemic before it happens, rather than do think like dismantle the response team thinking it can be put into place fast enough. YOu know, like Trump disbanding the pandemic response team in 2018. If we were properly prepared with the resources to detect and respond in place, 100's of thousands of lives could have been saved. with a lot less impact to the economy.

Argh!

And the killer, literally, with that "Trump-GOP Corporate Tax Cut Scheme"? We had our pandemic response people. literally, in Whulan in the lab! Amazing. How terribly fortuitous, in a negative way. We couldn't have done it worse.

Gates should have stuck to what he was good at.
Something tells me you would have dismissed him in 2015 as well....

In case you haven't been reading real news over the past decade, Bill Gates is out of Microsoft. He is no longer a tech guy, but now runs one of the largest philanthropic organizations in the world. A major thrust of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is Global Health. He has the resources and management talent to get expert assistance in the pursuit of making the world a healthier place. Given his track record, he probably is pretty damn good at, but as the leader of that organization, he clearly has more expertise on this subject than you or I.

No charge. Today's lesson is on the [school] house.

School.jpg

Why do you think he has a specific pandemic in mind?

Or to rephrase the question, why would anyone assume that COVID is the last pandemic the world will confront?
The question is a matter of priorities. Some things bear mentioning because they seem relatively important among everything to be concerned about. Other things don't bear mentioning because they don't seem that way.

Bill Gates is hasn't decided which pathogen to unleash just yet.

I suspect he'll get together with Fauci, Democrats, and the Chinese to release the best one.

Plus it all depends on if Trump runs in '24.

Back
Top Bottom