• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bill Bennett:aborting black babies would lower crime

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Addressing a caller's suggestion that the "lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30 years" would be enough to preserve Social Security's solvency, radio host and former Reagan administration Secretary of Education Bill Bennett dismissed such "far-reaching, extensive extrapolations" by declaring that if "you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down." Bennett conceded that aborting all African-American babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do," then added again, "but the crime rate would go down."

From the September 28 broadcast of Salem Radio Network's Bill Bennett's Morning in America:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I've read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn't -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they're all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don't know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don't know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

I realize mediamatters is a liberally slanted site, but luckily there is a audio clip of the broadcast so you can hear it for yourself...http://mediamatters.org/static/audio/bennett-200509280006.mp3

http://mediamatters.org/items/200509280006

I have heard others state that there is a direct correlation between abortion and the drop in the crime rate

not necessarily blacks but in general
now when you consider that 1/2 of black males are either on probation, parole, or in prison, it would stand to be a reasonable
Especially given the high percentage rate of abortion among the poor, and the percentage of blacks that are poor

its a sad statement on America, but it seems reasonable

scottyz said:
Bennett stated that aborting all African-American babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do,"

i think that is the key quote

DeeJayH said:
i think that is the key quote
I couldn't agree more. I expect many media outlets will be "overlooking" that portion of his statements though.

wrath said:
I couldn't agree more. I expect many media outlets will be "overlooking" that portion of his statements though.
Media outlets are "overlooking" the entire story completely. I could only find it on mediamatters.org earlier today and it showed up on ABC's website an hour ago.

scottyz said:
if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down.

why is it so hard for people to understand what Bennett is saying.

FiremanRyan said:
why is it so hard for people to understand what Bennett is saying.

Because it is a racist thing to say. It is comments like that, that are exactly why 90% of Blacks vote Democrat.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Because it is a racist thing to say. It is comments like that, that are exactly why 90% of Blacks vote Democrat.

if a statement is factually true, can it be racism
maybe hard medicine to swallow, and a sad commentary on our society
but it is true

and ironically, the dems dont care about blacks

DeeJayH said:
if a statement is factually true, can it be racism
maybe hard medicine to swallow, and a sad commentary on our society
but it is true

and ironically, the dems dont care about blacks

That entire premise is almost racist. If the Democrats truly don't care about minorities, then obviously you believe that minorities are so stupid they don't see that and only if they were smart like all those White Christian Men in the Republican party, they would all vote Republican.

Racism is all in the context that one uses facts and figures. For example, if a person said:

"There is still a disparity between the graduation rates of whites and the graduation rates of African Americans. Therefore, we really need to have some kind of new approach to our investments in urban school systems."

That statement would not be racist.

However, if a person said:

"If we threw all the Blacks out of the country, our graduation rates would go way up. Now, don't get me wrong, that would be an immoral thing to do, I'm just saying"

That would be a racist thing to say.

DeeJayH said:
now when you consider that 1/2 of black males are either on probation, parole, or in prison
Care to prove this statement with a link that shows it to be true? I do not believe it is true, I believe it is false. Please prove me wrong. You've made quite a statement, one that I believe demands proof.

SouthernDemocrat said:
It was also very poor timing considering all the talk about Bush and the Republicans not caring about black people. Does not appear to be getting much coverage from the media though.

SouthernDemocrat said:
That entire premise is almost racist. If the Democrats truly don't care about minorities, then obviously you believe that minorities are so stupid they don't see that and only if they were smart like all those White Christian Men in the Republican party, they would all vote Republican.

Racism is all in the context that one uses facts and figures. For example, if a person said:

"There is still a disparity between the graduation rates of whites and the graduation rates of African Americans. Therefore, we really need to have some kind of new approach to our investments in urban school systems."

"If we threw all the Blacks out of the country, our graduation rates would go way up. Now, don't get me wrong, that would be an immoral thing to do, I'm just saying"

So let me get this straight. It's only a "racist" comment if it's spoken by a republican right?

Howard Dean sure got a pass when he said:
"You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room?" The Associated Press reports that laughter greeted Mr. Dean, who then delivered the punchline: "Only if they had the hotel staff in here."
Louis Farrakhan sure gets a pass when he accuses whites of blowing up the New Orleans levee's to "drown more black people". Besides being totally obsurd, it certainly smacks of racism.

The double standard always rears it's ugly head.

DeeJayH said:
I have heard others state that there is a direct correlation between abortion and the drop in the crime rate

not necessarily blacks but in general
now when you consider that 1/2 of black males are either on probation, parole, or in prison, it would stand to be a reasonable
Especially given the high percentage rate of abortion among the poor, and the percentage of blacks that are poor

its a sad statement on America, but it seems reasonable

You have any credible source for this statement?

Yeah, that was a racist thing to say, no doubt about it.

I'm pretty sure that if every white baby were aborted, the crime rate would also go down.

What's worse is the fool brought the subject up himself, by dragging in as a counter-point the fact that definite fraction of the aborted babies would indeed lead a life of crime, and because there's a higher propensity of crime in the lower classes of single females that murder their babies.

Fortunately, Bill Bennett fits the classical definition of a political has-been almost perfectly.

The focus should be on the Senate's only Klan member deciding to run for yet another re-election. But I think I'll make that a seperate thread.

SouthernDemocrat said:

I don't think it's necessarily racism that makes conservatives speak this way. If anything it is that conservatives are mostly unwilling to be politically correct for the sake of not offending someone.

Last edited:
26 X World Champs said:
Care to prove this statement with a link that shows it to be true? I do not believe it is true, I believe it is false. Please prove me wrong. You've made quite a statement, one that I believe demands proof.

fair enough, i will see what i can find. Have heard it many times
couldnt find anything to substantiate it now.

SouthernDemocrat said:

What is racist about it when viewed in the context? What he said is true. The crime rate amongst black males especially is disproportionately higher than other races, by FAR it is disproportionately higher. He was citing what a book said about crime and his complete comment is

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

Are you trying to say that if every black baby in this country was aborted the crime rate would not go down? That flys in the face of reality.

And you know what, until those realities can be discussed openly instead of the mere mention of them drawing specious cries of racism, it won't change.

Stinger said:
What is racist about it when viewed in the context? What he said is true. The crime rate amongst black males especially is disproportionately higher than other races, by FAR it is disproportionately higher. He was citing what a book said about crime and his complete comment is

Are you trying to say that if every black baby in this country was aborted the crime rate would not go down? That flys in the face of reality.

And you know what, until those realities can be discussed openly instead of the mere mention of them drawing specious cries of racism, it won't change.

At minimum it was offensive to say the least.

As I pointed out earlier, which of these statements do you think someone would find offensive:

This one -

Or this one –

These issues are discussed all the time. However, thoughtful and intelligent people do not attribute higher crime rates among minorities as compared to whites to just the fact that they are Black or Hispanic. To do so is a racist assertion because basically the implication is that Blacks and Hispanics commit more crimes simply because they are Black or Hispanic. The roots of higher crime rates are not race or ethnicity, but instead they are poverty and ignorance. Poverty rates for Blacks and Hispanics are much higher than poverty rates for whites in this country. Poverty, ignorance, and crime all go hand in hand. Moreover, whites because of their statistically higher levels of income can statistically afford better legal representation and therefore have lower conviction rates than Blacks or Hispanics.

He is of course correct, and we should really do something about this sad reality. I think it's about time we start speaking the truth, and not continue to help hide the problems of our society in the veil of political correctness. Blacks have a real problem with getting in to trouble, they have a real problem with keeping a job, and they are more often dependant on some sort of social plan, ie welfare, S.S, etc. I believe it's these social programs that have led to the problems these people are having, this can be seen by comparing the negros of old. They would be the first to refuse a handout, and would be the most productive workers in their respected fields. Today we have a spoiled generation, one that is not motivated to achieve the many great things out their just waiting for them. Now this is certainly not just a black problem, but their numbers are much higher, and anyone is susceptible to this crutch becoming a ball and chain.

SouthernDemocrat said:

As I pointed out earlier, which of these statements do you think someone would find offensive:

This one -

Or this one –

These issues are discussed all the time. However, thoughtful and intelligent people do not attribute higher crime rates among minorities as compared to whites to just the fact that they are Black or Hispanic. To do so is a racist assertion because basically the implication is that Blacks and Hispanics commit more crimes simply because they are Black or Hispanic. The roots of higher crime rates are not race or ethnicity, but instead they are poverty and ignorance. Poverty rates for Blacks and Hispanics are much higher than poverty rates for whites in this country. Poverty, ignorance, and crime all go hand in hand. Moreover, whites because of their statistically higher levels of income can statistically afford better legal representation and therefore have lower conviction rates than Blacks or Hispanics.

Kind of reminds me of a comedian I recently saw in Vegas. He had this running gag where he basically say things like "you're a worthless piece of crap and a complete douche bag... but don't take offense I mean that in the best possible way."

SouthernDemocrat said:

Why in the full context of what he said?

As I pointed out earlier, which of these statements............

We've got Bennett's statement to discuss no need to through in made-up ones which have nothing to do with what he said.

These issues are discussed all the time. However, thoughtful and intelligent people do not attribute higher crime rates among minorities as compared to whites to just the fact that they are Black or Hispanic.

I don't think Bennett did that either if what you are inferring is that black skin causes one to commit crimes. But let's not pretend that the crime rate of black males is disporportionately higher and that if white males perpetrated crimes at the same rate as black males we would be living in anarchy.
To do so is a racist assertion because basically the implication is that Blacks and Hispanics commit more crimes simply because they are Black or Hispanic. [/quote]

I don't know where you read that, but the fact remains that Blacks commit crimes at higher rates than any other groups.

The roots of higher crime rates are not race or ethnicity, but instead they are poverty and ignorance.

And a host of other factors and simply choice to commit them. There are lots of ignorant poor people who do no commit crimes.

Poverty rates for Blacks and Hispanics are much higher than poverty rates for whites in this country. Poverty, ignorance, and crime all go hand in hand.

Yes but which cause which if they is an actual causal relationship. Does the criminal activity cause the poverty or the otherway around. Do poor neighborhoods cause crime or does crime cause poor neighborhoods.

Moreover, whites because of their statistically higher levels of income can statistically afford better legal representation and therefore have lower conviction rates than Blacks or Hispanics.

:rofl that is abasolutely one of the most perposterious statements I have ever heard. If white males were going around committing crimes at the same rates as black males we wouldn't even have a judicial system left.

The statistics that are relevent are the ones that tell us whites get better educations (not necessarily higher they just get high school educations at a mimimum), don't have as many children out of wedlock, and get married and stay married at higher rates. Those three things just about guaranty you won't be living in poverty. Those three things are very lacking in black society and it's not because of racisim or anything whites do to blacks or becaues anyone forces any of these things on black society.

deejayh said:
now when you consider that 1/2 of black males are either on probation, parole, or in prison

I couldn't find the numbers that were inclusive of parole and probation, but I did find this:

US Department of Justice

As of December 31, 2002, black males from 20 to 39 years old accounted for about a third of all sentenced prison inmates under state or federal jurisdiction. On that date 10.4 percent of the country’s black male population between the ages of 25 to 29 were in prison, compared to 2.4 percent of Hispanic males and 1.2 percent of white males in the same age group

This, of course, does NOT excuse Bill Bennett's comment.

shuamort said:
I couldn't find the numbers that were inclusive of parole and probation, but I did find this:

US Department of Justice

This, of course, does NOT excuse Bill Bennett's comment.

So that means for the statement to be true then at least 39.6% of black males would need to be on parole or probation. It's possible but I find that highly unlikely.

Deegan said:
He is of course correct, and we should really do something about this sad reality. I think it's about time we start speaking the truth, and not continue to help hide the problems of our society in the veil of political correctness. Blacks have a real problem with getting in to trouble, they have a real problem with keeping a job, and they are more often dependant on some sort of social plan, ie welfare, S.S, etc. I believe it's these social programs that have led to the problems these people are having, this can be seen by comparing the negros of old. They would be the first to refuse a handout, and would be the most productive workers in their respected fields. Today we have a spoiled generation, one that is not motivated to achieve the many great things out their just waiting for them. Now this is certainly not just a black problem, but their numbers are much higher, and anyone is susceptible to this crutch becoming a ball and chain.

I would just add, as I forgot to mention this, that I don't appreciate the anology used here, and I can't imagine what Bill was thinking. Sometimes you can be correct, and still be an a**hole, this is not the brutal honesty that will help the situation, but I still think we need strong words, and actions.

Its amazing how the left can take a statement a Conservative makes completely out of the context it was meant.........

Its nothing really new though......The same thing happened to Senator Trent Lott........

Sad.......

Back
Top Bottom