• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill Barr launches blistering attack on Trump in new book

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Former US attorney general Bill Barr has unleashed a volley of criticism at Donald Trump in his new book, saying the ex-president has “shown he has neither the temperament nor persuasive powers to provide the kind of positive leadership that is needed” and that the Republican party should move on from him. Mr Barr writes that his former boss could have won the 2020 election if he had “just exercised a modicum of self-restraint, moderating even a little of his pettiness”. He also rejects Mr Trump’s so-called “Big Lie” that he was cheated out of election victory by fraud. Barr writes: “The election was not ‘stolen’. Trump lost it.” Before announcing that he was stepping down from his role early, in December 2020 – after Mr Trump’s election defeat but before the Capitol riot – the outgoing attorney general told the then-president that the Justice Department had seen no evidence of widespread fraud that could have affected the result of the election.

In his book, expected to be published on 8 March, Mr Barr recalls the reaction to his assessment. Mr Trump reportedly shouted: “This is killing me – killing me. This is pulling the rug right out from under me.” “He stopped for a moment and then said, ‘You must hate Trump. You would only do this if you hate Trump.’” Mr Barr then offered to resign. “Accepted!” Mr Trump yelled, banging his palm on the table. “‘Leave and don’t go back to your office. You are done right now. Go home!’” However, White House lawyers apparently persuaded Mr Trump not to accept the resignation offer. As he has before, the two-time former attorney general – who also served under George HW Bush from 1991 to 1993 – blames Mr Trump for the Capitol riot on 6 January. “The absurd lengths to which he took his ‘stolen election’ claim led to the rioting on Capitol Hill.” Looking ahead, Mr Barr suggests the Republicans should look for a new leader ahead of the 2024 election.

It's far too late for Bill Barr to rehabilitate his historical legacy. Barr served as one of the main Trump enablers.

here's the thing. anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew in 1985 that the ex-president was a MASSIVE liar and crook and hugely insecure.

the Republican base (the real problem in America) either doesn't have those two brain cells or didn't care since he simply copied the hate that Rush and Fox preach/preached.

Barr not recognizing that Trump is psychotic narcissist until after working for him for a while shows he is not much a reader of human behavior, but his critique on Trump, who he still credits with doing some good things, is devastating.

It's far too late for Bill Barr to rehabilitate his historical legacy. Barr served as one of the main Trump enablers.
Yes, to hell with Bill Barr.
Hey Bill, will you tell us the truth because our nation is at stake? "No."
Hey Bill, will you tell us the truth because your bank account is at stake? Geeze, can't shut the man up.

On the more positive side, as more and more ex-Trumpers fade into the sunset, their decisions to come clean and tell it straight in their tell-all books suggests that they clearly see how history will evaluate this weird period in American history. They want to be remembered well.

They won't.

Last edited:
Completely cherry picking what your TDS and confirmation bias demands of you, it would appear.

Did you also notice:

Barr lambasts news media, accusing them of “corruption” and “active support for progressive ideology.” He writes the political left became radicalized during President Obama’s second term.​
Specifically, he compares the time and consequent support for social justice issues to “the same kind of revolutionary and totalitarian ideas that propelled the French Revolution, the Communists of the Russian Revolution and the fascists of 20th-century Europe.”​

Hmm? No? Skipped that part which you didn't like?

I noticed:

In the book, “One Damn Thing After Another” Barr claims Trump could have won re-election in 2020 if he had “just exercised a modicum of self-restraint, moderating even a little of his pettiness.”​

And that's completely fair.

Completely cherry picking what your TDS and confirmation bias demands of you, it would appear.
Maybe Barr thinks this will clear his name.

But does he think we’re going to just forget the way he enabled Trump’s assault on the integrity of the Justice Department and the entire government? The way he misled the public about what was in the special counsel’s report on Russian electoral interference to make Trump seem utterly innocent, when Barr had read the report but it had not yet been released?​
The way he forced out U.S. attorneys who might investigate Trump? The way he spread preposterous lies about voter fraud in advance of the 2020 election? The way he took extraordinary steps to help Trump cronies escape accountability for their criminal conduct? Barr’s name will forever be tied to Trump’s, as it should be.​
Barr's place in American history is secure, and it's not a good one.

Maybe Barr thinks this will clear his name.

But does he think we’re going to just forget the way he enabled Trump’s assault on the integrity of the Justice Department and the entire government? The way he misled the public about what was in the special counsel’s report on Russian electoral interference to make Trump seem utterly innocent, when Barr had read the report but it had not yet been released?​
The way he forced out U.S. attorneys who might investigate Trump? The way he spread preposterous lies about voter fraud in advance of the 2020 election? The way he took extraordinary steps to help Trump cronies escape accountability for their criminal conduct? Barr’s name will forever be tied to Trump’s, as it should be.​
Barr's place in American history is secure, and it's not a good one.
I don't think that Barr is particularly worried about that, but this would be my subjective 'read' of the man. From my view, I think he made the decisions he made, took the actions he took, with the information he had available to him at the time, and I think he has the maturity to realize that neither were perfect at the time. All told, I think he did about as well as anyone could expect of him.

It's still in the moment. More accurate reflections on history are generally some 20 years out after the event.
I don't think I'll be around that long to see what those analyses' conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom