• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biker incident in NYC last week..

Juanita

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
No one has posted anything about the motorcycle incident in NYC last week.. The video has been shown on TV dozens of times.. I expect two different perceptions, one from bikers and a different one from non bikers.. What is your perception of this event?

No one has posted anything about the motorcycle incident in NYC last week.. The video has been shown on TV dozens of times.. I expect two different perceptions, one from bikers and a different one from non bikers.. What is your perception of this event?

Those weren't bikers. They were riding rice burners.

These are real 1 % bikers.

life_hells_angels_073.jpg

As with everything in the American press, the whole incident is one giant cluster-f of information.

The very simple use of the words "biker" and "gang" already sets minds in motion of everything being wrong.

I've stayed away from most of the press regarding this story because it angers me in many ways.

If the a-holes on motorcycles were stunting on public roads and generally being a gigantic chain-reaction of destruction just waiting to happen then
they are clearly responsible for an awful lot of what happened.

The poor guy with his family in the suv was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
They were in a Range Rover right? They didn't have a cell phone? Couldn't call 911 before things got too out-of-control?

To drive an suv up and over somebody else is pretty horrific and does show how frightening the situation was getting.
Not sure it totally excuses doing that though.

Isn't there a report that the rider who was run over by the suv might have been trying to calm the situation down?

There's so much going on with this story.

Now there's other videos surfacing of the same group of riders being douche-bags on a different day. Right?

I ride quite a bit. I rarely ever ride with others. I like being by myself.
When you ride with others it's very easy to get caught up in all kinds of stupidity.

It's going to be interesting to see if the suv driver gets charged with a crime, or if his defense is purely self-defense.

In the end, sounds like the motorcycle riders are truly responsible for everything that happened.

I just question if what they were doing originally was justification for running over another person with your suv.
I also would like to know more about why these guys on motorcycles had an issue with the suv guy in the first place.

What started things before the videos started rolling?

Bottom line - the whole situation sucks bad. Sounds like a whole lot of wrongs happening all at once.

I'm not ready to give the suv driver a 100% clear pass, but surely the motorcycle riders are guilty of a great deal.

To drive an suv up and over somebody else is pretty horrific and does show how frightening the situation was getting.

Isn't there a report that the rider who was run over by the suv might have been trying to calm the situation down?

1) I am unsure how someone should react as your vehicle is being surrounded by aggressive individuals and being rendered inoperable.

2) what the individuals claim they were doing doesn't match up to the evidence.

1) I am unsure how someone should react as your vehicle is being surrounded by aggressive individuals and being rendered inoperable.

As I said.... #1) our press does a crappy job of reporting anything, and especially evidence, #2) you call 911 and try not to escalate the situation by driving your suv over people

What did the suv driver do to initially set off the guys on motorcycles?

I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. I'm not saying the suv driver is guilty. I am saying the motorcycle guys are surely guilty of plenty.

But until the media hype dies down and calmer heads prevail, I'm not ready to give the suv driver a clear pass.

As a rider, getting run over by somebody on purpose is perhaps the most frightening scenario I can imagine.

Without knowing more, I'm not in a place where I can say "without reasonable doubt" that the suv driver did nothing wrong. Not yet anyway.

As I said.... #1) our press does a crappy job of reporting anything, and especially evidence, #2) you call 911 and try not to escalate the situation by driving your suv over people

the idea is that certain situations do not allow you the time to call 911 and you are forced to act within the moment. Being surrounded by a large group of aggressive individuals as they try to render your vehicle inoperable would be considered just such a moment to most reasonable people

From what I can see in the clip, and have read in the MSM about the incident, the bikers themselves created the problem by boxing in the SUV (a man, his wife and their 2 yr old baby), then slamming on their brakes at which time the SUV grazed one of the bikes. That's when much of the group surrounded the SUV beating on it, appearing to try and break their way inside.

There were literally dozens of bikers terrorizing this one man and his family. I can't say that I blame him for gunning the vehicle, trying to get away before his family was hurt. It's a shame that some of the bikers were hurt... the ones who were deliberately blocking his vehicle, btw... and he will no doubt stand trial for vehicular assault. However, better a courtroom than a grave and I have little doubt that the man honestly believed that his life and the lives of his family were in jeopardy.

So who do I blame? Clearly I blame the bikers. They thought they owned the road, and could simply intimidate and overpower anyone who had the audacity to try and use the same road they had claimed as their own. They pretty much got what they asked for, in my opinion. They started the problem. The result is their responsibility.

not only those but these three
http://www.debatepolitics.com/gun-control/174118-unarmed-victim.html
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...-driver-car-nyc-beat-him-after-collision.html
http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...69-another-sign-decline-civilization-usa.html

what are you looking for?

from all the reports and video the bikers got off very very light

From what I can see in the clip, and have read in the MSM about the incident, the bikers themselves created the problem by boxing in the SUV (a man, his wife and their 2 yr old baby), then slamming on their brakes at which time the SUV grazed one of the bikes. That's when much of the group surrounded the SUV beating on it, appearing to try and break their way inside.

There were literally dozens of bikers terrorizing this one man and his family. I can't say that I blame him for gunning the vehicle, trying to get away before his family was hurt. It's a shame that some of the bikers were hurt... the ones who were deliberately blocking his vehicle, btw... and he will no doubt stand trial for vehicular assault. However, better a courtroom than a grave and I have little doubt that the man honestly believed that his life and the lives of his family were in jeopardy.

So who do I blame? Clearly I blame the bikers. They thought they owned the road, and could simply intimidate and overpower anyone who had the audacity to try and use the same road they had claimed as their own. They pretty much got what they asked for, in my opinion. They started the problem. The result is their responsibility.

I would be amazed if you could find any jury that would render a guilty verdict there, and that is if the state is even inclined to bring charges (which it shouldn't be)

As with everything in the American press, the whole incident is one giant cluster-f of information.

The very simple use of the words "biker" and "gang" already sets minds in motion of everything being wrong.

I've stayed away from most of the press regarding this story because it angers me in many ways.

If the a-holes on motorcycles were stunting on public roads and generally being a gigantic chain-reaction of destruction just waiting to happen then
they are clearly responsible for an awful lot of what happened.

The poor guy with his family in the suv was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
They were in a Range Rover right? They didn't have a cell phone? Couldn't call 911 before things got too out-of-control?

There's so much going on with this story.

Now there's other videos surfacing of the same group of riders being douche-bags on a different day. Right?

I ride quite a bit. I rarely ever ride with others. I like being by myself.
When you ride with others it's very easy to get caught up in all kinds of stupidity.

It's going to be interesting to see if the suv driver gets charged with a crime, or if his defense is purely self-defense.

In the end, sounds like the motorcycle riders are truly responsible for everything that happened.

I just question if what they were doing originally was justification for running over another person with your suv.
I also would like to know more about why these guys on motorcycles had an issue with the suv guy in the first place.

What started things before the videos started rolling?

Bottom line - the whole situation sucks bad. Sounds like a whole lot of wrongs happening all at once.

I'm not ready to give the suv driver a 100% clear pass, but surely the motorcycle riders are guilty of a great deal.

I have watched these videos dozens of times..The first thing that I noticed, having ridden with clubs, is that these bikers were all over the place, which indicates to me that either there were two different groups, or they were together but were not used to riding together... The second thing was that when the bikers passed the SUV, the driver did not slow down--a definite no-no in that situation.. Another reason which makes me think it was more than one group is the guy who slowed down and turned his head to the left and said he was looking for his friend, wouldn't have been looking for his friend if they all were his friends..you only do something like that if you get cut off or separated from your own group.. When the bump occurred, some of the bikers who saw it got upset--understandable--they probably thought it was on purpose--what driver does not slow down when bikes are around? Many pulled off the road to see what was going on, maybe to calm things down... Does the SUV pull off the road or call the cops? No.. At that point there were probably only a few who wanted to mouth off at him...Then he pulls off like a bat out of hell, running over a biker and ploughs through the bikers standing around or sitting on their bikes... What the hell did he think they were going to do? Let him go? He is lucky that it was in NYC and not Chicago land.... Please feel free to voice your views...

What do you usually do when you are on the road and come up on a motorcycle group, or get passed by a biker group? Don't you automatically slow down--put some space between them and you? The evidence is on the videos and not the mouths of the attorneys..

What did the suv driver do to initially set off the guys on motorcycles?

I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. I'm not saying the suv driver is guilty. I am saying the motorcycle guys are surely guilty of plenty.

But until the media hype dies down and calmer heads prevail, I'm not ready to give the suv driver a clear pass.

As a rider, getting run over by somebody on purpose is perhaps the most frightening scenario I can imagine.

Without knowing more, I'm not in a place where I can say "without reasonable doubt" that the suv driver did nothing wrong. Not yet anyway.

The SUV driver does not deserve a pass of any kind...I have plenty of dead friends because of assholes like him. He saw bikers, freaked out and did every wrong thing he could have done...

the idea is that certain situations do not allow you the time to call 911 and you are forced to act within the moment. Being surrounded by a large group of aggressive individuals as they try to render your vehicle inoperable would be considered just such a moment to most reasonable people

Did you even watch the videos?

I have watched these videos dozens of times..The first thing that I noticed, having ridden with clubs, is that these bikers were all over the place, which indicates to me that either there were two different groups, or they were together but were not used to riding together... The second thing was that when the bikers passed the SUV, the driver did not slow down--a definite no-no in that situation.. Another reason which makes me think it was more than one group is the guy who slowed down and turned his head to the left and said he was looking for his friend, wouldn't have been looking for his friend if they all were his friends..you only do something like that if you get cut off or separated from your own group.. When the bump occurred, some of the bikers who saw it got upset--understandable--they probably thought it was on purpose--what driver does not slow down when bikes are around? Many pulled off the road to see what was going on, maybe to calm things down... Does the SUV pull off the road or call the cops? No.. At that point there were probably only a few who wanted to mouth off at him...Then he pulls off like a bat out of hell, running over a biker and ploughs through the bikers standing around or sitting on their bikes... What the hell did he think they were going to do? Let him go? He is lucky that it was in NYC and not Chicago land.... Please feel free to voice your views...

actually these clubs are rather notorious around newyork and actively shut down streets to make tracks for stunt riding. The theory is that they were in the process of doing that here. Hence brake checking the SUV to force him to slow down and stop

I also watched the video also and have given my opinion on this incident in another thread. This group and the event they were headed to are well known for stopping traffic on the interstates and highways in order to put an a stunt show for videos. Go to you Google and you will see plenty of them. My opinion is this is exactly what they were attempting to do hear. The guy brake checking the SUV is the tactic they usually use. Its doubtful the SUV driver knew about these stunt shows and was not aware of why they were stopping him in the middle of the road. When he bumped into the stopped bike and the cyclist and friends got off their bikes and started beating on the truck the guy felt threatened and broke dodge. I do not blame him one bit and would have done the exact same thing. When the bikers continued to not only follow him, but also tried stopping him again they were asking for trouble. At that point I would have started taking out more bikes until they stopped pursuit. A motorcycle is no match for a 4000+lbs suv. When they came upon the traffic stop I would have turned around and headed back the other direction until the police were in view.

What do you usually do when you are on the road and come up on a motorcycle group, or get passed by a biker group? Don't you automatically slow down--put some space between them and you? The evidence is on the videos and not the mouths of the attorneys..

I give bikers the same respect I give any other vehicle. No more no less. I expect them to conduct them selves in the same manner any other driver would.

The SUV driver does not deserve a pass of any kind...I have plenty of dead friends because of assholes like him. He saw bikers, freaked out and did every wrong thing he could have done...

I also have plenty of dead friends who were complete idiots on a motorcycle. Most died going triple digit speeds on busy highways or riding wheelies in traffic.

In the same respect I have plenty killed from idiots in cars pulling out in front of them.

I say he not only deserves a pass, but believe he did the right thing.

By the way I ride also!

actually these clubs are rather notorious around newyork and actively shut down streets to make tracks for stunt riding. The theory is that they were in the process of doing that here. Hence brake checking the SUV to force him to slow down and stop

They must have been mostly rice burners then or two separate groups....but the driver never slowed down until he bumped the bike--he never put any space between himself and the bikers--I've never seen that before, most people have better sense..

Back
Top Bottom