• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bike Lanes, Elected Officials & Contempt for Voters

Are People Happy With the Way Bike Lanes Have Been Implemented?

• Total voters

JBG

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
In San Diego:

Article about San Diego bike lane and two-way single travel lanes

From NBC 7’s Dave Summers on Video quoting city official said:
"We acknowledge that more robust community outreach should have been don far sooner to inform neighbors in Mira Mesa about the plans and how the road is used.
From NBC 7’s Dave Summers on Video quoting city official said:
Community engagement will be enhanced and begin far earlier for future advisory bike lane projects to ensure neighborhoods are aware of the upcoming changes to streets.

In Long Island City, article about removal of parking for bike lanes:

The ideology that cars are bad and biking is good has been going on for some time now. For some reason they want people to bike around like in China. The rich will always drive around in expensive cars.

These articles about the California and New York City bike lanes had me absolutely laughing out loud. The focus of this thread is that "robust community outreach" would have lead to heated opposition. Sometimes I don't know who these people work for; the environmental groups or their constituents. Is this really what people want?

Mind you, I have nothing against bikes and getting outdoors, though I prefer jogging. The elected officials appear to be pursuing their own pet woke environmental agendas at the expense of the people. Do the people really care more about some glacier melting in Alaska in 2040 than about finding a parking space and going about their business? Are commuters hankering to have the Ninth Avenue feed into the Lincoln Tunnel cut from five to three lanes to accommodate bike and bus lanes? Note, the buses don't move any faster. Does Madison Avenue really require two bus lanes, 24 hours a day?

Why are the officials people elected punishing their voters? What did the voters do wrong?

EDIT: My poll posted prematurely. I had meant as options limiting bike lanes to cities with year-round mild climates, or on demand by cyclists. I also invited posts.

Bike Lanes prove that 4 lanes everywhere is not necessary and slows traffic. Thus bike lanes are also traffic calming devices which should be celebrated.

Excellent use of tax dollars. Cyclists do pay tax dollars.

What's the rush? Do your health a favor - ride a bike.

Bike Lanes prove that 4 lanes everywhere is not necessary and slows traffic. Thus bike lanes are also traffic calming devices which should be celebrated.

Excellent use of tax dollars. Cyclists do pay tax dollars.

What's the rush? Do your health a favor - ride a bike.
When it's 9°F with a 20 mph wind, and lots of ice on the pavement?

Don't know, but I have noticed that many bike lanes are not being used.

Some bicyclists continue to use the sidewalks.

They are too chicken to mix with the cars.

I don't blame them.

In fact, some woke cities allow bicycles on the sidewalks and "request" the bicyclists to be "courteous" to pedestrians. That's how naive woke activists are!

Reactions: JBG
When it's 9°F with a 20 mph wind, and lots of ice on the pavement?
slow down ...........

The powers that be should be providing 60" bikeways/walkways that go somewhere as in places of employment and to shop. Better yet make them 84" wide.

Bikes are such a wise transportation investment because they actually last forever and simple to repair.
And don't pollute the air everyday.

What generally happens is that motor fuel taxes are being used to benefit folks not paying them.

In San Diego:

The ideology that cars are bad and biking is good has been going on for some time now. For some reason they want people to bike around like in China. The rich will always drive around in expensive cars.

These articles about the California and New York City bike lanes had me absolutely laughing out loud. The focus of this thread is that "robust community outreach" would have lead to heated opposition. Sometimes I don't know who these people work for; the environmental groups or their constituents. Is this really what people want?

Mind you, I have nothing against bikes and getting outdoors, though I prefer jogging. The elected officials appear to be pursuing their own pet woke environmental agendas at the expense of the people. Do the people really care more about some glacier melting in Alaska in 2040 than about finding a parking space and going about their business? Are commuters hankering to have the Ninth Avenue feed into the Lincoln Tunnel cut from five to three lanes to accommodate bike and bus lanes? Note, the buses don't move any faster. Does Madison Avenue really require two bus lanes, 24 hours a day?

Why are the officials people elected punishing their voters? What did the voters do wrong?

EDIT: My poll posted prematurely. I had meant as options limiting bike lanes to cities with year-round mild climates, or on demand by cyclists. I also invited posts.
Encouraging folks to ride bikes is a good thing.

What generally happens is that motor fuel taxes are being used to benefit folks not paying them.
Damn near everyone has a car even if they ride a bike too.

Bikes have as much right to street space at fossil fuel vehicles. Bike lanes are here to stay. Excellent use of tax dollars.

Perhaps if America didn't have such a shitty public transportation system, there would be more space for bikes and for people who drive long distances.
There's a few decent ones in this country (Like BART in SF).. but there's a reason why America ranks toward the bottom..versus the world.

Encouraging folks to ride bikes is a good thing.

OK, but dedicating half of the roadway to much less than half of the vehicle traffic is not a good thing. The same is true for HOV (only) lanes.

Perhaps if America didn't have such a shitty public transportation system, there would be more space for bikes and for people who drive long distances.
There's a few decent ones in this country (Like BART in SF).. but there's a reason why America ranks toward the bottom..versus the world.
The U.S. is a much more rural and suburban country than most in Europe, or even Canada. Keep that in mind.

OK, but dedicating half of the roadway to much less than half of the vehicle traffic is not a good thing. The same is true for HOV (only) lanes.
Hasn't been an issue here.

The U.S. is a much more rural and suburban country than most in Europe, or even Canada. Keep that in mind.
What you say is true, but there are separate states that could do much better. (Of course, states like Kansas and Nebraska don't have much of a reason to do so)..
Florida is a prime example of horrible public transportation. In the I-4 corridor, ..Tampa to Orlando..there's people sitting in traffic for so long that some of them just commit suicide
to avoid the stress. (Ok..I exaggerate) :) It IS a nightmare for 16 hours a day. Naturally, Rick Scott turned down a government assistance to build a modern
high-speed rail system, like Japan. ...which pissed off millions of people. There's problems here but we're suppose to be number one and all that BS :)

Damn near everyone has a car even if they ride a bike too.
And thus you summed up the problem in one sentence. If we had real urban planning mass transit would make it possible for everyone to have one or less cars. I realize that would hurt companies associated with auto manufacturing. However, it would increase the need for skilled personnel to build, run and maintain the thousands of miles of new mass transit. I spent a lot of time in Europe and I never missed not having a car.

In San Diego:

Biking is good, and it is fun. Especially with the growing number of electric bikes. It is also very dangerous, unless you live in a city that has some foresight and puts in bike lanes, and if you educate drivers on the rights bike riders have.

More lanes, the better. Nothing woke about riding bikes...just the usual crap from those that feel threatened by everything.

Where I live, we have an extensive canal system, they all have bike paths, and it is an excellent way to get across town. Sometimes you must ride on the sidewalks, because of safety. Non bike riders have no idea of the bullshit we have to go through every day while riding.

Bikes have as much right to street space at fossil fuel vehicles. Bike lanes are here to stay. Excellent use of tax dollars.
How much street space should a bicycle rider be granted? As I stated cyclist are also taxpayers. Most certainly cyclists should have access to a full lane in high traffic situations because fossil fuel vehicles are
much larger than a cyclist thus a full lane provides a decent margin of safety.

Matt Gaetz should push for my people to ride. He's tired of the southern fat asses sitting on their couches.

Most Americans are recreational bike riders. Personally, I don’t like riding in traffic. I do like dedicated bike paths, though.

Biking is good, and it is fun. Especially with the growing number of electric bikes. It is also very dangerous, unless you live in a city that has some foresight and puts in bike lanes, and if you educate drivers on the rights bike riders have.

More lanes, the better. Nothing woke about riding bikes...just the usual crap from those that feel threatened by everything.

Where I live, we have an extensive canal system, they all have bike paths, and it is an excellent way to get across town. Sometimes you must ride on the sidewalks, because of safety. Non bike riders have no idea of the bullshit we have to go through every day while riding.
Here they have converted railway right of ways to bike and hiking trails. Some go right through the middle of town.

I have a completely biased opinion here since I am a cyclist and have enjoyed the benefits of the increase in bike lanes. I still remember the days of there being far less bike lanes, pot hole ridden streets, and the annoyance of having to constantly stop at red lights. Once the Manhattan greenway was completed, you could ride from the northern tip of the island all the way to the southern tip without having to ride in traffic.

The bike lanes on main avenues and streets are a mixed bag since they're often occupied by double parked delivery trucks and cars, so they end up being a slalom course. They are an improvement in terms of safety because they greatly reduce the chances of you getting "doored" when a motorist opens their car door without looking. From a non-cyclist perspective they haven't been as big of a hit because of reductions to parking spaces. What has been great to see is the ever increasing amount of people using bicycles. I remember when I was one of the few riding into work on via the Greenway, and it's grown significantly over the years.

Here they have converted railway right of ways to bike and hiking trails. Some go right through the middle of town.
this is what is known as making use of existing resources ............

Back
Top Bottom