• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biggest Political Scandal of All Time...

Awesome!

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Watergate, Iran-Contra, Whitewater etc. What are some of the biggest scandals or scandals that should be high on the list etc.?

Watergate, The Whiskey Ring, Credit Mobilier, Teapot Dome, and Iran-Contra are a few that I can think of just off the top of my head. The administrations of Nixon, Grant, and Harding were easily the most scandal filled; both Nixon and Grant's Vice Presidents (Agnew and Colfax) needed to resign because of scandal, as did several other cabinet members. Harding too, had cabinet members involved in scandals.

Watergate, Iran-Contra, Whitewater etc. What are some of the biggest scandals or scandals that should be high on the list etc.?

If your talking about political scandals in the United States ild have to say the business plot to overthrow FDR

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot]Business Plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

and here is a video from the history channel

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=628728631767818729]The Plot to Overthrow FDR[/ame]

I think this says alot in light of recent events

If your talking about political scandals in the United States ild have to say the business plot to overthrow FDR

Business Plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here is a video from the history channel

The Plot to Overthrow FDR

I think this says alot in light of recent events

Wow, how old is this video? History Channel has not showed that much history in a decade. I love the History Channel, but I wish they would show more history and less Ice Road Truckers:(

The BS that took us to war in WW1

The BS that took us to war in Vietnam

The BS that took us to war with Iraq.

Watergate, The Whiskey Ring, Credit Mobilier, Teapot Dome, and Iran-Contra are a few that I can think of just off the top of my head. The administrations of Nixon, Grant, and Harding were easily the most scandal filled; both Nixon and Grant's Vice Presidents (Agnew and Colfax) needed to resign because of scandal, as did several other cabinet members. Harding too, had cabinet members involved in scandals.

Many of these scandals had such a minor impact. Tea Pot dome amounts to no bid contracts and interest free loans. In today's political climate that has become nearly non-newsworthy.

Faking a war incident in the Gulf of Tonkin brought about millions of lives lost.

Defending the safe passage of rich American's in the middle of a war zone was also rather scandalous.

Threatening to pack the supreme court to usher in massive social reengineering...scandalous.

Yeah, you add up all those scandals, and you get a total close to what Clinton racked up.

The BS that took us to war in WW1

The BS that took us to war in Vietnam

The BS that took us to war with Iraq.
So basically, in your opinion, the biggest political scandal of all time is America?

either explain yourself or be ignored.

totally your call.
The only thing in common with what took America to the wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and WWI, is America itself.
Your government makes the calls, hence your government was the reason for joining/starting these wars.
And when referring to the American government, one can simply call it "America".

Biggest scandal? I would say that came on November 7th, 2000.

and it ruined a perfectly good birthday for me, too.

Here are a few on my top list,

House Banking Scandal-the House of Representatives Bank found that 450 members had overdrawn their checking accounts, but not been penalized. Six were convicted. Twenty two more were singled out by the House Ethics Committee.

Abscam-FBI sting involving fake 'Arabs' trying to bribe 31 congressmen. Arrested were NJ State Senator Angelo Errichetti (D) and members of the Philadelphia City Council. The following six Congressmen were convicted.

Swartwout-Hoyt scandal-involving the Port of New York Collectors' Office, became a struggle between President John Tyler (D) and Congress concerning authority to appoint and pay investigative commissioners.

Clinton can't hold a candle to LBJ.

No joke!

There was the sordid affair involving LBJ and Billie Sol Estes, which was supposedly making JFK consider changing the VP for the 1964 election.

The Congressional investigation into General Dynamics winning the contract for the TFX (F-111) - which was manufactured in Fort Worth.

And, let's not forget the affair about the Serve-U Corporation and the role that LBJ's protegee Bobby Baker played in it - which caused Baker to resign as Secretary to the Senate Majority Leader in October 1963.

And then suddenly, on November 23rd, 1963, all these problems just went away...

Funny how life works out sometimes, isn't it? :shock:

The only thing in common with what took America to the wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and WWI, is America itself.
Your government makes the calls, hence your government was the reason for joining/starting these wars.
And when referring to the American government, one can simply call it "America".

The three things these wars have in common are the misinformation, faked intelligence, you know, the lying that started them off. That was done by our government, you're right. But I don't think his point in bringing up the 3 wars was to demean America, but to remind us that our leaders have lied to us for public opinion purposes to get the war backing they wanted at the time.

Watergate

Nixon's Dirty Tricks

Iran-Contra

Monica Lewinski

At number ten it is the US press deciding they were no longer journalists and working openly for the Obama campaign.

At number nine is Buddha giving up real power to convince people to just fade away.

At number eight is the British Tory party pulling down Margaret Thatcher so they could forever win elections her preferred replacement won and then they have not won in again in almost two decades.

At number seven is Mohammed claiming the arc angel Gabriel dictated his plagiarism of Judaic and Christian texts and then brutally conquered all opposition and even those not opposing Islam while simultaneously claiming Islam is creating the religion of peace. That and his repetitious prose, prose that is beautiful like lightening, but lightening hitting the same tree over and over again.

At number six is Moses confusing a burning bush for God and then leading the Jews out of the good and plenty of Egypt to the only place in the Middle East without oil

At number five we have Richard Nixon resigning rather than taking Congress on and saying "I know where LBJ and JFKs skeletons are too."

At number four we have Bill Clinton building a bridge to the 21 century. By which he meant a bridge to his ego and libido.

Number three we have the North Vietnamese communists claiming they were anti colonial freedom fighters and then at victory establishing a one party state that killed hundreds of thousands, drove another million into the sea, and sent another million into "re-education" camps all while destroying what was left of the economy for over a decade and still oppressing minority groups and maintaining an authoritarian one party state to this day.

At number two, is Mother Teresa helping even those who could be helped to live die.

And here is your number one political scandal of all time; the Romans execute an innocent and obscure Jewish carpenter and accidently set in motion a religion that will conquer their empire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom