• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biggest Jerk of the Week

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Where do these disgusting scum bastards come from!?!?

A businessman is under fire for buying tiny parcels of land so he can sell or lease them for inflated prices to people who thought they owned them. In one case, Guthrie businessman Ron Edwards is demanding four Edmond condominium owners pay him $80,000 for a shared driveway he bought for $1,584 at a county auction.

Read more: Property owners outraged by Guthrie businessman's dealings | NewsOK.com

I have heard of another (businessman) doing the same in the UK a number of years ago, he denied them access to their own houses.
Not sure how it was worked out in the end.
Perhaps someone else knows?

Wow, that's so malicious...

Just down the street from where I live, a guy bought 11 acres and built a horse farm. There was already a driveway there that the local hunt club used to access their leased hunting lands. The new owner fenced in the property, denying the hunters access to their hunting grounds. As a result, the hunters would go in at night and tear down his fence. Tempers escalated to gun point. I stil don't know the outcome of that one, since it has been tied up in court. Seems the hunters tore down the fence every chance they got. The guy's horses didn't get out because they were in the barn, but if he hadn't seen the breach, they would have. They have had constant war with him rebuilding the fence, only to have the hunters come around early in the morning and take down the fence. He has placed No Tresspassing signs everywhere, but that isn't fazing the hunters.

Just down the street from where I live, a guy bought 11 acres and built a horse farm. There was already a driveway there that the local hunt club used to access their leased hunting lands. The new owner fenced in the property, denying the hunters access to their hunting grounds. As a result, the hunters would go in at night and tear down his fence. Tempers escalated to gun point. I stil don't know the outcome of that one, since it has been tied up in court. Seems the hunters tore down the fence every chance they got. The guy's horses didn't get out because they were in the barn, but if he hadn't seen the breach, they would have. They have had constant war with him rebuilding the fence, only to have the hunters come around early in the morning and take down the fence. He has placed No Tresspassing signs everywhere, but that isn't fazing the hunters.

He'll be alright as long as he keeps the barn door closed.:lol:

I'm not sure about your area, but if I remember correctly, there are laws in my area that require allowing right-of-way to property owners so that their property cannot be "land-locked"...Or something.

A businessman is under fire for buying tiny parcels of land so he can sell or lease them for inflated prices to people who thought they owned them. In one case, Guthrie businessman Ron Edwards is demanding four Edmond condominium owners pay him $80,000 for a shared driveway he bought for $1,584 at a county auction.

Read more: Property owners outraged by Guthrie businessman's dealings | NewsOK.com

Thats ridiculous. There are no laws against this sort of thing?

I'm not sure about your area, but if I remember correctly, there are laws in my area that require allowing right-of-way to property owners so that their property cannot be "land-locked"...Or something.

It's probably the same thing, in my area. The problem is that he wasn't told that the hunters were using the property since there are no structures on the adjoining property. I forgot that he erected a gate, since I haven't talked to him in several years. The real estate agent who sold him the property said that a farmer used the driveway to get to his fields so the new owner put in a gate with the understanding that the farmer would have his own key to the gate. He was never told that hunters use it as well. Of course, it's the wild west where I live, and the hunters will remove the gate and knock down the rest of the fence just for good measure. It's like the cattlemen against the sodbusters. The whole problem could have been averted, had he known about the hunters, and they could have been given a key, but after they blatantly destroyed his fence, then all bets were off.

It's probably the same thing, in my area. The problem is that he wasn't told that the hunters were using the property since there are no structures on the adjoining property. I forgot that he erected a gate, since I haven't talked to him in several years. The real estate agent who sold him the property said that a farmer used the driveway to get to his fields so the new owner put in a gate with the understanding that the farmer would have his own key to the gate. He was never told that hunters use it as well. Of course, it's the wild west where I live, and the hunters will remove the gate and knock down the rest of the fence just for good measure. It's like the cattlemen against the sodbusters. The whole problem could have been averted, had he known about the hunters, and they could have been given a key, but after they blatantly destroyed his fence, then all bets were off.

Well the hunters should have without a DOUBT told the new owner about the situation and then the owner could have made arrangements for them. People need to freakin TALK to each other.

Well the hunters should have without a DOUBT told the new owner about the situation and then the owner could have made arrangements for them. People need to freakin TALK to each other.

In a perfect world what you say would have worked, but. Hunting season only runs from November to January. They weren't hunting when he moved in. He put up everything quite rapidly, the fence being the first thing, then the barn and a prefab house. Everything was in place before the hunters discovered what had been done. Now, if I had been the hunt master, I would have gone to the landowner and requested permission to enter. Had that been done, there would have been no problem. That wasn't done. The hunters boasted that they were the law of the land, and could do as they pleased. Then the fight started.

They tried that with me, too. They had always hunted my land, but then I moved in and stopped that. I built a driveway, where there was none, previously. They previously used my neighbor's driveway and went in to hunt on the land I bought. Now, they tried removing my gate, even took it off its hinges, but couldn't quite cut the huge chain and padlock I had on the gate. Their attempts stopped when I moved on the property, permanently.

In a perfect world what you say would have worked, but. Hunting season only runs from November to January. They weren't hunting when he moved in. He put up everything quite rapidly, the fence being the first thing, then the barn and a prefab house. Everything was in place before the hunters discovered what had been done. Now, if I had been the hunt master, I would have gone to the landowner and requested permission to enter. Had that been done, there would have been no problem. That wasn't done. The hunters boasted that they were the law of the land, and could do as they pleased. Then the fight started.

They tried that with me, too. They had always hunted my land, but then I moved in and stopped that. I built a driveway, where there was none, previously. They previously used my neighbor's driveway and went in to hunt on the land I bought. Now, they tried removing my gate, even took it off its hinges, but couldn't quite cut the huge chain and padlock I had on the gate. Their attempts stopped when I moved on the property, permanently.

I would get the bastards charged with tresspassing and destruction of private property

And they would be in the wrong. Unless there was an easement in the deed of this property, the hunters have absolutely no rights to it. They should have petitioned for an easement long ago.

First of all, why wasn't the homeowners association paying the taxes? The land went up for public auction due to deliquent taxes. If the association (to which those outraged condo owners belong) didn't want something like this to happen, they should have ....... drum roll ...... paid their property taxes.

RJS Properties LLC, which Edwards said is owned by his wife, bought the driveway, unbeknownst to the condo owners, at a 2008 county auction for delinquent tax properties.

Since this was a county auction, presumably there would have been notices. The association claims it didn;t know, but it just doesn't seem likely.

I agree that $80 grand is gouging, but he did come way down on his price:

Edwards later retracted his offer to lease the driveway to the condos and instead offered to sell it to them for $25,000. Condo owners haven't paid, and Edwards hasn't pressed the issue.

"I just threw my money away on that deal,” Edwards said.

Next,

Rubin said he was shocked to learn Edwards was running a business in such a way.

"I think this guy should be sued and put out of business,” Rubin said.

OK, so they would waste money on an attorney to sue this guy, but they won't A) pay their taxes on time and B) just negotiate with the guy to purchase it back at a fair price. Who else is he going to sell/lease it to? They have just as much power as he does.

Capitalism is perfect, is it?

No one said it was, that's why there are courts and what not.
Anyone who argues that any system is perfect is an idiot. Capitalism is inherently neutral though, it depends on the people to do the right thing (or in this case the wrong thing).

Nothing new here... That's the way our capitalistic system works. Rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Adapt or die.

ricksfolly

Back
Top Bottom