• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Big pharma's role in meth production

As it is now, you have to show ID to buy any of the many products that have any ephedrine content. I'll side with "Big Pharma" on this one. We have enough control over us as it is now.

THese drugs for colds/sinus/allergy problems have been over the counter for many years, and it's not the role of Big Pharma which is the problem. It's the meth-heads and drug dealers. We have already seen restrictions placed on these drugs by making them subject to ID checks and getting them from behind the counter.

Is this not akin to blaming big oil for arson? It is easy to buy flamable liqiuds (accelerants used by arsonists) in "to go" containers (also sold OTC) and matches/lighters. Trying to control supply without controlling demand simply raises the price making the production of the "bad stuff" (recreational drugs) ever more profitable.

Is this not akin to blaming big oil for arson? It is easy to buy flamable liqiuds (accelerants used by arsonists) in "to go" containers (also sold OTC) and matches/lighters. Trying to control supply without controlling demand simply raises the price making the production of the "bad stuff" (recreational drugs) ever more profitable.

I see your point, but I think that is a bit of a false equivalency. The difference being the prevalence of both crimes, in the frequency and number of offenses and the danger that poses to society. While I don't have specific number, I would imagine the number of crimes committed that relate to meth is much higher than arson. More offenses means more of a response from government. This I imagine is caused by the war on drugs, profit motive behind producing meth, etc... That isn't there with a crime like Arson, except maybe insurance fraud.

Although I'm sure someone buying an unusual amount of lighter fluid would raise a few eye brows.

Of course they do not want it so you have to get a prescription to get it. I do not blame them there, and not just because they make money off of the purchase of their products for the production of meth. Do people really want to go to a doctor to get a sudafed prescription? Not to mention just because you have a prescription doesn't mean that it stops illegal sales, just ask Rush "Oxy whore" Limbaugh. I agree with big pharma here. Find a better way to fight meth if you want prohibition. I do not need to pay a doctor to get a low level OTC sniffle reliever. After you consider a doctor the sudafed will run you more than 100 dollars. I have a runny nose, not SARS.

Behind the counter works. I love Mississippi. You have to get a prescription to get sudafed, but i bet you can walk out of there with 2 grams of OTC DXM pretty easily. Please, the only reason to sell DXM containing cough medicines is because DXM gets you high. It doesn't fight the sniffles. It doesn't do a damned thing for a cough aside from make you forget about it because you are high. There is a reason why the products like max strength tussin run 2 or 3 dollars more than other stuff with actual cold fighting ingredients. The only thing i wish is that big pharma would get the hell out of the way of things like Pot which seems to work a hell of a lot better on most cold symptoms and headaches than any of the crap on the shelf.

Why do we need decongestants? Just ban then all and when you get blocked up, call the government and they can send an agent to beat the snot out you.

Why do we need decongestants? Just ban then all and when you get blocked up, call the government and they can send an agent to beat the snot out you.

By this same principle, I suppose we should make laxatives prescription medications as well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom